Texas vs Texas Tech

dpbillsfan

What a finish. Great game. :rolleyes:

Michael Crabtree might just be the best WR we have seen in a long, long time. I am so happy Tech won this game because it will inevitably push Penn State into the number 2 position. State will then have to lose to either michigan state, iowa, or indiana to lose that positioning, which I don't see as very likely. Ball's in their court and the right to play in the NCAA championship game is theirs for the taking. Great stuff.

What a game!

Gotta feel for Texas, 4 consecutive games against teams in the Top 15 and they almost pulled it out.

As for the Red Raiders, they went out and got the respect they had been wanting. Now can they run the gauntlet with Oklahoma State and Oklahoma still on their schedule?

Michael Crabtree might just be the best WR we have seen in a long, long time. I am so happy Tech won this game because it will inevitably push Penn State into the number 2 position. State will then have to lose to either michigan state, iowa, or indiana to lose that positioning, which I don't see as very likely. Ball's in their court and the right to play in the NCAA championship game is theirs for the taking. Great stuff.

My fear is that penn state goes undefeated but ends up ranked behind a 1 loss team because of the BCS formula

My fear is that penn state goes undefeated but ends up ranked behind a 1 loss team because of the BCS formula

Well I figure the 4 biggest threats to Penn State currently behind them in the BCS are Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Florida, and USC. I think USC is out because of they way they got trashed by Oregon State. Same thing happened to them last year with Stanford and they never recovered in the BCS formula. Florida will most likely play Alabama in the SEC title game, so one of them has to drop eventually. Texas Tech and Oklahoma play each other in the regular season (two weeks from now I believe), and then the winner of that game will most likely go on to play Missouri in the Big 12 title game.

So all things considered, it looks like Penn State is definitely the school with the best chance of making it to the Big Game.

Well I figure the 4 biggest threats to Penn State currently behind them in the BCS are Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Florida, and USC. I think USC is out because of they way they got trashed by Oregon State. Same thing happened to them last year with Stanford and they never recovered in the BCS formula. Florida will most likely play Alabama in the SEC title game, so one of them has to drop eventually. Texas Tech and Oklahoma play each other in the regular season (two weeks from now I believe), and then the winner of that game will most likely go on to play Missouri in the Big 12 title game.

So all things considered, it looks like Penn State is definitely the school with the best chance of making it to the Big Game.

They HAVE to be. If the NCAA screws Joe Pa again, in what could be his last year, it will be a real mark of shame.

I can see an Alabama-Penn State National Championship Game. That actually should be a great, albeit potentially very low-scoring, game.

For the record, I switched back and forth between SNL and the game. Just got back to see the winning TD.

They HAVE to be. If the NCAA screws Joe Pa again, in what could be his last year, it will be a real mark of shame.

I can see an Alabama-Penn State National Championship Game. That actually should be a great, albeit potentially very low-scoring, game.

For the record, I switched back and forth between SNL and the game. Just got back to see the winning TD.

Give me one solid arguement why Penn St should play in the NC over TT or Alabama if all three of them win out. Maybe Jo Pa should of thought about the possibility of being left out of the NC after an undefeated season when he was scheduling Coastal Carolina, Temple & Syracuse as his out of conference opponents. & before you say TT's OOC schedule was an even bigger joke, they had that luxury due to their strong conference schedule.

TT has a rough schedule left.

They have OSU in Lubbock and the OU in Norman. Assuming they win their last three, then after the Baylor game they'll have the Big 12 championship in Kansas City (I think). Against either MU or KU. Now the North isn't the greatest competition, but it's practically a home game for either of those two teams.

That's a rough schedule. After playing their hearts out against UT, it'll be pretty impressive if they can keep that same intensity up the rest of the year, because that's exactly what it will take to win those remaining games.

IMO, the Championship game should be between the winner of the Big 12 and the SEC. You'll likely have either Alabama or Florida versus OU, UT, or TT. Even if PSU goes unbeaten, if any of those teams end the season with 1 loss, they should be ahead of PSU.

But that won't happen. As long as there is no more than 1 other unbeaten team, PSU will be in the championship if they win out.

Give me one solid arguement why Penn St should play in the NC over TT or Alabama if all three of them win out. Maybe Jo Pa should of thought about the possibility of being left out of the NC after an undefeated season when he was scheduling Coastal Carolina, Temple & Syracuse as his out of conference opponents. & before you say TT's OOC schedule was an even bigger joke, they had that luxury due to their strong conference schedule.

I agree with you about the out of conference schedule. Penn State had a cupcake schedule early on (Though they destroyed Oregon State 45-14 who later on went to beat USC)

Here's my issue though. Why is it that people just assume a Big Ten school is incapable of beating an SEC or Big 12 school in the championship. I hear people all the time saying they hope Penn State doesn't make it because they'll just get crushed by 'bama or Texas Tech, or Texas, or Oklahoma, or whoever.

Yes, the Big Ten has less ranked teams, but I think it's due to a different style of play. Big Ten teams are more likely to have traditional, practical offenses (more like you'd see in the NFL), while it seems the "better" conferences are going more experimental with their offenses, which tends to lead to scoring in high volume. Meanwhile, the Big Ten continues to focus on defense. Unfortunately, a solid defensive effort doesn't do as much for a team in the rankings as a high scoring offensive effort.

Take Texas Tech for example. Their offense scores about 45 points per game, whereas Penn State's defense only yields 11 points per game, while also scoring a great deal this year. Who's to say which statistic is more impressive? Pollsters tend to forget that football is 50% offensive and 50% defensive and that a solid, fundamentally sound defense is always capable of taking down a flashy offense.

Have you seen Florida's out of conference schedule?

But, I will agree that, if, and only if, Texas Tech and Alabama finish the season unbeaten (including their conference championships), they have a legit claim on #1 and #2. But, if any one loss team jumps Penn State, it will be a disgrace.

I agree with you about the out of conference schedule. Penn State had a cupcake schedule early on (Though they destroyed Oregon State 45-14 who later on went to beat USC)

Here's my issue though. Why is it that people just assume a Big Ten school is incapable of beating an SEC or Big 12 school in the championship. I hear people all the time saying they hope Penn State doesn't make it because they'll just get crushed by 'bama or Texas Tech, or Texas, or Oklahoma, or whoever.

Yes, the Big Ten has less ranked teams, but I think it's due to a different style of play. Big Ten teams are more likely to have traditional, practical offenses (more like you'd see in the NFL), while it seems the "better" conferences are going more experimental with their offenses, which tends to lead to scoring in high volume. Meanwhile, the Big Ten continues to focus on defense. Unfortunately, a solid defensive effort doesn't do as much for a team in the rankings as a high scoring offensive effort.

Take Texas Tech for example. Their offense scores about 45 points per game, whereas Penn State's defense only yields 11 points per game, while also scoring a great deal this year. Who's to say which statistic is more impressive? Pollsters tend to forget that football is 50% offensive and 50% defensive and that a solid, fundamentally sound defense is always capable of taking down a flashy offense.

Penn State usually fares pretty well, in Bowl games, under Joe Pa. I think they are capable of beating any team in the country (although, I have to admit I was worried about Texas). They have an extraordinary defense, and a very capable and balanced offense. I might bet Penn State if they face Alabama in the National Championship Game (depending on the spread, of course)...and I almost never bet on football.

It's only actually because of Ohio State in the National Championship game. Look this up, in the last couple of years alone, outside of OSU being in the national Championship game......the Big Ten has whipped the SEC's ass in the other bowl games. No one ever wants to talk about that though.

It's only actually because of Ohio State in the National Championship game. Look this up, in the last couple of years alone, outside of OSU being in the national Championship game......the Big Ten has whipped the SEC's ass in the other bowl games. No one ever wants to talk about that though.

Yeah, actually I remember Penn State taking down Tennessee in the Outback Bowl a couple years back. Tennessee was ranked 12 and PSU was 22, and PSU just handed them a big-time loss.

Here's a big question. Does Joe Pa finally call it quits if he gets one last national championship? I personally don't think so, but that's a rumor I've heard.

Yeah, actually I remember Penn State taking down Tennessee in the Outback Bowl a couple years back. Tennessee was ranked 12 and PSU was 22, and PSU just handed them a big-time loss.

Here's a big question. Does Joe Pa finally call it quits if he gets one last national championship? I personally don't think so, but that's a rumor I've heard.

I'm a big Joe Pa fan, and as much as it pains me to say it, I'd love to see him go out on top. I know that Bobby Bowden will likely pass him, in total wins, if that happens, but who cares? Paterno represents all the best things in college sports, just like Dean Smith did during his tenure at UNC.

I have to believe that Joe Paterno has made a big positive impact on more college athletes than just about anyone in history,

I'm a big Joe Pa fan, and as much as it pains me to say it, I'd love to see him go out on top. I know that Bobby Bowden will likely pass him, in total wins, if that happens, but who cares? Paterno represents all the best things in college sports, just like Dean Smith did during his tenure at UNC.

I have to believe that Joe Paterno has made a big positive impact on more college athletes than just about anyone in history,

But then again, he's clearly not past his coaching prime quite yet. Those who are casual fans of NCAA football assume that the only reason JoePa has his job is because the program "owes" him for his 40+ years of service, but Paterno's teams are 39-9 (including bowl games) the past 4 years. I'd have to look it up, but that's gotta be close to the best in Division I. I assume Pete Carroll is the leader.