Xm Radio question. Why can I get a signal in a covered parking garage

It's satellite radio, that's why. Just like you wouldn't put a DirectTV dish in your basement your XM receiver antenna has to see the sky to work. It is true that major cities have terrestrial boosters to help with reception in downtown areas, but most places do not. This also explains why Sirius/XM cuts out when driving under bridges and tree-lined streets.

PTR

It's satellite radio, that's why. Just like you wouldn't put a DirectTV dish in your basement your XM receiver antenna has to see the sky to work. It is true that major cities have terrestrial boosters to help with reception in downtown areas, but most places do not. This also explains why Sirius/XM cuts out when driving under bridges and tree-lined streets.

PTR

I should have been a little more specific. The covered parking garage has no view of the sky and I can get XM just fine. There is an overpass only 1/2 mile away from the garage and the signal cuts out. Its wierd. This doesn't happen passing under other overpasses that I have noticed. Its just a wierd thing.

I should have been a little more specific. The covered parking garage has no view of the sky and I can get XM just fine. There is an overpass only 1/2 mile away from the garage and the signal cuts out. Its wierd. This doesn't happen passing under other overpasses that I have noticed. Its just a wierd thing.

It depends on a number of factors. For example, in the parking garage I used to park in, I could get the signal near the outsude but when I would go through the inside it'd cut out.

The reason why is XM/Sirius doesn't need a solid signal strength to work, it just needs *some* signal. So, when you are in the parking garage, it gets just enough from driving near the outside of it that it works. When you go under a wide bridge, it gets completely blanked for a second. When you go under a small bridge, it still keeps signal.

At least, that's my guess based upon how I've experienced it.

Cept the parking garage I used to park in didn't get signal from any terrestrial repeaters.

Yes, but FiSD was asking why it worked for him. It's because there are repeaters in his area. Nobody installed terrestrial repeaters where you live because they're afraid of getting killed due to the high violent crime rate. :rolleyes:

Yes, but FiSD was asking why it worked for him. It's because there are repeaters in his area. Nobody installed terrestrial repeaters where you live because they're afraid of getting killed due to the high violent crime rate. :rolleyes:

I think you're a bit confused. "Used to" = Austin. :worthy:

And FiSD didn't ignore it, he mentioned a counter-case to explain why he thought it was wrong.

I think you're a bit confused. "Used to" = Austin. ;)

And FiSD didn't ignore it, he mentioned a counter-case to explain why he thought it was wrong.

No, FiSD was replying to PTR, thus my asking if anyone read Jack's response. :P

And Austin is just as dangerous:

http://www.bestplaces.net/crime/?city1=548...;city2=54805000

Texas is a scary place! :rolleyes::worthy:

No, FiSD was replying to PTR, thus my asking if anyone read Jack's response. :P

PTR also talked about terrestrial repeaters. Duh.

And Austin is just as dangerous:

http://www.bestplaces.net/crime/?city1=548...;city2=54805000

Texas is a scary place! :rolleyes::worthy:

You keep forgetting that those crime stats lump in both the mexican areas and white people areas together.

PTR also talked about terrestrial repeaters. Duh.

You keep forgetting that those crime stats lump in both the mexican areas and white people areas together.

Why am I confused? Too many cell repeater stations interfering with my brain function? Damn, I am already suing SDG&E might as well sue Verizon and AT&T !

we have repeaters here in raleigh and my sirius receiver works perfect in the house without the antenna anywhere near a view of the sky, however a mile from my house there is this dead zone, cell nor sat radio works. Its a simple street with a few trees but must be a terrain thing since neither works there. So evenin areas with the repeaters signal issues still exist.

we have repeaters here in raleigh and my sirius receiver works perfect in the house without the antenna anywhere near a view of the sky, however a mile from my house there is this dead zone, cell nor sat radio works. Its a simple street with a few trees but must be a terrain thing since neither works there. So evenin areas with the repeaters signal issues still exist.

Ya probably a dead spot.