Now it's ties to "Godless Americans"

PastaJoe

If we live in a government that theoretically separates church from state, why should religion factor so heavily into campaigns? These "values voters" really piss me off. I read today that 53% of American voters would refuse to vote for an atheist candidate even if they thought he was the most qualified for the job. Disgusting.

Would you vote for the super religious candidate even you thought he was the most qualified?

If we live in a government that theoretically separates church from state, why should religion factor so heavily into campaigns? These "values voters" really piss me off. I read today that 53% of American voters would refuse to vote for an atheist candidate even if they thought he was the most qualified for the job. Disgusting.

First off, what you (rightly) call the "theoretical" separation of church and state only works in one direction: the government is constitutionally forbidden to support or interfere with religious matters. It doesn't mean that religious nutjobs can't interfere with the government.

Second...how many Americans do you think have even read the Constitution, let alone understood it?