NYS Governor Paterson: Do as I say, not as I do

One of Paterson's strongest tools in the fight for budget cuts is a freeze on state hiring, but it may not be enough to fight unions and special interests
That's the problem with NYS...Unions and special interests bury the state. Reminds of Australia actually...I've been promoted here to Project Manager and damn!! They pay taxes that make Obama's plan look miniscule and trying to get stuff done around union workers is difficult. Between their breaks and such and if you try and get rid of a useless worker you have to go to arbitration. Painful.

That's the problem with NYS...Unions and special interests bury the state. Reminds of Australia actually...I've been promoted here to Project Manager and damn!! They pay taxes that make Obama's plan look miniscule and trying to get stuff done around union workers is difficult. Between their breaks and such and if you try and get rid of a useless worker you have to go to arbitration. Painful.

Congrats on joining the ranks of project managers. Remember two words: "it depends". :blink: Union people aren't easy to deal with, not even kind of, but you must have gotten the job for a reason. You can look at this as a positive: you get to work on your communication and management skills, and, at least your resources don't go anywhere else. You might be stuck with them, but it's better to have some, even if you hate them, than to suddenly have less or none, because another PM swiped them and your boss went along with it.

Then again maybe you can lose them, and in that case, the pain hasn't even begun yet. Enjoy :lol:

The only thing that will "save" NYS is, unfortunately, union busting. Most of these unions are way, way to far gone to be brought back into the fold. They are living in fairy land: it's still 1960, manufacturing and shipping are the keys to the NY economy, and you can't hire a worker in China, ship his product here and sell it, all of 1/4 of what you pay a union worker. I wonder if this economy will finally break them, now that Wall Street's endless flow of money has been cut off. Perhaps...we might get lucky and some real re-organization or reform, but I doubt it.