Phillies

John Adams

Not something I'd admit to in public...

That game was a joke. It wasn't baseball. I still can't believe Upton was able to turn the corner at third in that pig slop. I'm glad they called it, because a default win is no way to end a quarter-century championship drought, but Selig had other options. He could have pushed the start time up. He could have called it in the 3rd or 4th before the game lost any semblance of the sport being played. He had a remarkable stroke of good fortune when Burrell's throw came in a foot high and a second late. And had Rollins cleanly fielded that chopper earlier in the inning, this series is likely over.

Once again, Selig was in a nowin situation. Some of your suggestions are ridiculous. The only thing I believe he could of done differently is call it in the 4th inning when it was apparent that the weather was not going to let up. You Philly fans would be bitching about that too since it would of wasted a start from Hamels.

To John Adams, your a class act, nothing like making fun of a guy's religion when we are trying to have a baseball discussion.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, Selig was in a nowin situation. Some of your suggestions are ridiculous. The only thing I believe he could of done differently is call it in the 4th inning when it was apparent that the weather was not going to let up. You Philly fans would be bitching about that to since it would of wasted a start from Hamels. God, I hope Tampa wins.

:devil:

Which of my two suggestions was ridiculous? The one you agreed with or the one about moving a start time up an hour?

The one about moving the start time up an hour. It is just not practical.

Well obviously we aren't going to be able to convince either other since it can't be proven either way, but I disagree. The start time of 8:30-8:45 gives more then enough leeway for fans to adjust post-work day plans. Additionally, I'd estimate that 75% of the ticket holders were in the vicinity of the stadium by 5pm. It was like a semi-holiday here.

Furthermore, despite what Buck and Senile McCarver said, the local weather reports gave warning of this far in advance.

And finally, if the game had been called in the 4th, I would have had no complaints about "wasting Hamels." The Rays would have "wasted" Kazmir which is just fine by me. Plus at that point Cole had probably thrown less than 50 pitches. A potential Game 7 start would be doable. The game resembled nothing like baseball by the 5th inning and it should have been called before that point. Selig was not in a no-win situation. He had two undesirable choices, but he chose the wrong one.

Well obviously we aren't going to be able to convince either other since it can't be proven either way, but I disagree. The start time of 8:30-8:45 gives more then enough leeway for fans to adjust post-work day plans. Additionally, I'd estimate that 75% of the ticket holders were in the vicinity of the stadium by 5pm. It was like a semi-holiday here.

Furthermore, despite what Buck and Senile McCarver said, the local weather reports gave warning of this far in advance.

And finally, if the game had been called in the 4th, I would have had no complaints about "wasting Hamels." The Rays would have "wasted" Kazmir which is just fine by me. Plus at that point Cole had probably thrown less than 50 pitches. A potential Game 7 start would be doable. The game resembled nothing like baseball by the 5th inning and it should have been called before that point. Selig was not in a no-win situation. He had two undesirable choices, but he chose the wrong one.

Well I guess so. Like I said Fox was saying the rain was not supposed to come until after midnight. Moving it up to I would guess would mean that Fox would have to agree & I do not think they would. There would just be alot of things that would have to fall in place for them to pull it off.

People disagree with that? Home field advantage decided by an all star game is probably the most ridiculous thing in the world of sports.

No. The decision to end the game in a tie. The home field advantage thing (which came, partly as a result of the original screwup) is a giant, "who cares?" as far as I am concerned.

No. The decision to end the game in a tie. The home field advantage thing (which came, partly as a result of the original screwup) is a giant, "who cares?" as far as I am concerned.

I think they are both ridiculous, but I'd switch that around. Ending a meaningless game in a tie is pretty stupid and condescending to the fans who paid to see it, but basing something as significant as championship home-field advantage on the outcome of an exhibition game is beyond forgivable. Especially when a team gains the best overall record over a 162-game season.

Wouldn't it be great if the Bills played the Pats in preseason this year and lost and then despite having a better record, ended up going to Foxboro to play them in the AFC championship?

Disagree that he messed it up? I'd like to meet these people.

The only thing more ridiculous than allowing an all-star game to end in a tie was his inexplainable overkill response to make future World Series home-field advantages dependent on its outcome.

I think everyone is missing who the real culprit is here: Dan Uggla. He committed 3 errors, struck out 3 times and grounded into a DP in the All-star game. If he had been replace by an adequate 2B-man (not even an all-star), the National League would have won the game and this game would have been played in a dome.

Damn you Dan Uggla!

Go Phillies! Why Can't Us?

I think everyone is missing who the real culprit is here: Dan Uggla. He committed 3 errors, struck out 3 times and grounded into a DP in the All-star game. If he had been replace by an adequate 2B-man (not even an all-star), the National League would have won the game and this game would have been played in a dome.

Damn you Dan Uggla!

Go Phillies! Why Can't Us?

Oh I distinctly remember thinking that Uggla had screwed us over. Of course, at the time, I was happy with the prospect that our biggest problem would be only 3 home games in the WS.

It doesn't matter. The celebration will be legendary for this town. Last night, Broad Street was filled from City Hall to Patterson (2 miles maybe)--in the photos, it looks like Mardi Gras. The crowd was pretty well-behaved (some stuff happened but not much) and the parade is set for Friday at noon. I can't even imagine how people will turn out to celebrate the losingest franchise ever. My business, like many others, will close so people can go to the parade.

A few photos of what it was like on Broad Street

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-bli...innerville.html