Phillies

John Adams

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That game wasn't ending last night. Its been reported that Selig told both teams that they were playing a full 9 innings, and they weren't going to end the world series with a rain-shortened game. Rays got some new life now with Hamels out. I'd love to see Philly end up losing the series because of this.

The problem is, if the game was 2-1 and there was no sign of letting up, what can the league do? Change the rules right then and there? The game was official. If the rain continues to pour, does Selig order the player on the field, no matter how bad the weather?

I stand by the judgment that they caught a break with the Rays scoring the tying run.

We went out in Downtown Philly last night anticipating a Phillies win and ensuing chaos shortly thereafter. The rain definitely put a damper on the night and I do believe that there was nothing Selig could do about it. They should've called the game and play a full 9 inning game when the weather subsides. It is raining buckets now so I don't see how this is going to be played tonight.

By 4pm, it was clear that it was going to pour all night in every forecast. And guess what? It did.

Selig wanted to get the game in for ratings and now he has a mess, made worse by the fact that the Phillies had the lead for a long time so they wouldn't dare call the game. Instead, he kept it going in slop right up until the Rays tied it. Only then, miracly, did they suspend the game. Hmm. At that point, might as well play it out as it's a disaster already.

Now you get a 3.5 inning partial birth abortion game.

Well that maybe the case, but the fox announcers said a few times that the forecast called for the rain to holdoff until midnight. You maybe correct as I do not live in the Philly area & really could careless about what kind of weather they are having, I am just going by what Joe Buck & McCarver said. Once again, Selig was in a nowin situation last night. But keep bitching & complaining about something that really could not be avoided. That is what people from Philadelphia do best.

Well that maybe the case, but the fox announcers said a few times that the forecast called for the rain to holdoff until midnight. You maybe correct as I do not live in the Philly area & really could careless about what kind of weather they are having, I am just going by what Joe Buck & McCarver said. Once again, Selig was in a nowin situation last night. But keep bitching & complaining about something that really could not be avoided. That is what people from Philadelphia do best.

And you keep being the poster-boy for the suburban Buffalo education system.

It's not a no win. Rain was in the forecast. It was raining a little at 4. More at 6. By 7 it was consistent with a strong wind and 42 degree temps. Selig had Fox's rooster in his mouth and refused to delay the game. Then he made them play in slop until he got unbelievably lucky that the game got tied up (After leaving Hamels standing on the mount in the pouring rain for 15 minutes without throwing a pitch). He's a tool. Of course you'd like him.

It's not a no win. Rain was in the forecast. It was raining a little at 4. More at 6. By 7 it was consistent with a strong wind and 42 degree temps. Selig had Fox's rooster in his mouth and refused to delay the game. Then he made them play in slop until he got unbelievably lucky that the game got tied up (After leaving Hamels standing on the mount in the pouring rain for 15 minutes without throwing a pitch). He's a tool. Of course you'd like him.

Of course Selig is a tool. He has actually gotten a little bit better, over the years, yet remains worthless. But, it is possible for him to be in a no-win situation, too. I don't know the situation surrounding the starting of the game. It is certainly possible (and likely) that Selig contributed to the situation with bad judgment. But, when it came to deciding what to do with this game, it would have been a horrid situation if the Rays did not tie the game.

I never said I liked him, all I said was he was in a nowin situation last night. I went to Private/Catholic School.

I am just going by what Joe Buck & McCarver said.

Not something I'd admit to in public...

That game was a joke. It wasn't baseball. I still can't believe Upton was able to turn the corner at third in that pig slop. I'm glad they called it, because a default win is no way to end a quarter-century championship drought, but Selig had other options. He could have pushed the start time up. He could have called it in the 3rd or 4th before the game lost any semblance of the sport being played. He had a remarkable stroke of good fortune when Burrell's throw came in a foot high and a second late. And had Rollins cleanly fielded that chopper earlier in the inning, this series is likely over.

Not something I'd admit to in public...

That game was a joke. It wasn't baseball. I still can't believe Upton was able to turn the corner at third in that pig slop. I'm glad they called it, because a default win is no way to end a quarter-century championship drought, but Selig had other options. He could have pushed the start time up. He could have called it in the 3rd or 4th before the game lost any semblance of the sport being played. He had a remarkable stroke of good fortune when Burrell's throw came in a foot high and a second late. And had Rollins cleanly fielded that chopper earlier in the inning, this series is likely over.

Selig said he would never have called the game if it hadn't been tied. So basically, he wanted the game to go on through the slop until the Rays tied it (at which point they get a reprieve) or the Phils won.

It is still raining here.

He dicked it up, although the ratings for a 3.5 inning game should be high.

Selig said he would never have called the game if it hadn't been tied. So basically, he wanted the game to go on through the slop until the Rays tied it (at which point they get a reprieve) or the Phils won.

It is still raining here.

He dicked it up, although the ratings for a 3.5 inning game should be high.

No doubt....today was definitely the worst weather day of the year. The rain finally cut out in northern DE a few hours ago.

I know Selig said that he would never have called it, but I can't imagine that game going on 3 more innings if there had been no tie. But who knows? It was a joke he let it go as long as he did...

No doubt....today was definitely the worst weather day of the year. The rain finally cut out in northern DE a few hours ago.

I know Selig said that he would never have called it, but I can't imagine that game going on 3 more innings if there had been no tie. But who knows? It was a joke he let it go as long as he did...

Normally I like to play devil's advocate here, because the job of a commissioner is not usually one that wins you many fans, but I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of one good think that Selig ever did.

Normally I like to play devil's advocate here, because the job of a commissioner is not usually one that wins you many fans, but I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of one good think that Selig ever did.

He's a buffoon. I think he even fuc#ed up the All Star Game decision a few years ago (I know many disagree).

He's a buffoon. I think he even fuc#ed up the All Star Game decision a few years ago (I know many disagree).

Disagree that he messed it up? I'd like to meet these people.

The only thing more ridiculous than allowing an all-star game to end in a tie was his inexplainable overkill response to make future World Series home-field advantages dependent on its outcome.