Road coaching

Let me just start by saying I love Coach Jauron, I'm glad he's locked up longer-term, and I'm satisfied with Schonert so far and Fewell in general. April is my hero. Ok now let's move on:

My issue is this: I don't understand why the coaches seem to approach road games as if we've already lost them before they've started.

At the Ralph, both the offense and defense - schematically and execution-wise - dictate tempo to the opposing team. Especially the defense. At home, our D tells the opposing offense how it's gonna be on each and every play. We do what we do regardless of what they're doing, we force their offense to react to what we're doing on defense.

On the road, it's the exact opposite: our D reacts, reacts, reacts. We dictate NOTHING. We leave the entire right side of the backfield wide open and then run and chase whomever they throw it to over there. We give them ages to throw. I just don't get it. Pennington, Warner - these are guys who hate contact. Hit them in the mouth a few times, they'll call it a day. Press their WRs while you bring pressure, take away their first and second options, force them to wait in the pocket, and they WILL make mistakes, it's just a matter of time. Do we do any of that? No. Instead, we react to what they want to do. We let them dictate the tempo, the direction, the play. It drives me nuts, and I can't figure out the source of it other than the conservative mentality of this coaching staff, which seems to consistently expect the worst and plan accordingly.

There are two ways to coach a team if you fear you have too many personnel weaknesses: coach not to lose, or coach as though you have nothing to lose. Miami did the latter yesterday (and most of this season); we tend to do the former. And it drives me nuts.

And one more thing: again, although I love Jauron, I do have one lingering concern about him: how will he know when we're sufficiently stocked up on talent? He's never been in that spot, and his coaching style seems better suited for a weak roster. Play not to lose, keep the game close, avoid mistakes. We should be beyond that now, or if not now, next year, when we have the talent to compete with the elite teams. Will Jauron know when that time comes, and take the kid gloves off? I'm not so sure. We'll find out.

I think part of it is that he is very conservative by his very nature. A good, early statement yesterday, for example, would have been going for the the TD on 4th and goal from the 1.

or maybe having marshawn in the game for those carries rather than fred up the middle three straight plays

I think part of it is that he is very conservative by his very nature. A good, early statement yesterday, for example, would have been going for the the TD on 4th and goal from the 1.

Ah yeah........in Miami....at the goal line....and "going for it."

I recall a game with a similar play a while back. Didnt work out too good for us.

Seriously, I have no problem with kicking the ball. There are MANY who feel that you you take the points when they are there. You take the three points, get on the board and go from there.