Another random thought

Beerball

At work or in other public places which side of the stairs do you use? I always use the right side, and most people at work do the same.

Is this in any way related to the side of the street we drive on? If I live in England, Australia or India would I use the left side?

At work or in other public places which side of the stairs do you use? I always use the right side, and most people at work do the same.

Is this in any way related to the side of the street we drive on? If I live in England, Australia or India would I use the left side?

In Australia you walk up the stairs upside down and down the stairs right side up.

You would only use the left side if you were somewhere south of the equator I think... :D

What side is the banister on? If your knees are ailing, trust me, it's an important consideration.

But yes, I'd say the default is on the right. (which somewhat equates to the above question, as most people are right handed, so if given the choice would rather have the banister on their right.)

I walk on whichever side the banister/railing is on

Don't know about the streets in Australia or India, tho I'd imagine they do the same as England as they were part of the British Empire.

But England drives on the left for a similar reason we drive on the right - self defense. The Brit's used swords and we used guns.

The motion of unholstering a gun (US Frontier) or unsheathing a sword (Midievil England) dictated which side of the road a traveler on horseback rode