Sporting News Today

Indy Dave

Hey gang. For the past few months I have received a digital newspaper called The Sporting News Today. It's a fantastic read, with great coverage of many sports. It's free too. If you sign up, it's delivered to your in box at about 7:30 EST every morning. In today's issue, there's a great story on our Bills on p. 16.

Sporting News Today

No motives here...just thought I'd share.

Hey gang. For the past few months I have received a digital newspaper called The Sporting News Today. It's a fantastic read, with great coverage of many sports. It's free too. If you sign up, it's delivered to your in box at about 7:30 EST every morning. In today's issue, there's a great story on our Bills on p. 16.

Sporting News Today

Wow, I wasn't expecting much from a daily online newspaper, but that was a very good read and it seems they do an excellent job with their product.

My question is, how do these guys make money if the subscription is free? I mean, the paper is very in-depth and lengthy, and they do it every day, so it must be their full time jobs right?

Sporting News Today

Use Limit Exceeded. Still has a link to sign up though, thanks.

My guess is that they make most of their money off their magazine subscription and use this online paper as an advertising agent to get readers hooked on their product. Plus it is a good possibility that they use the information they get when you register for the site as direct advertising leads.

Still, it is a very good site with nice articles

My guess is that they make most of their money off their magazine subscription and use this online paper as an advertising agent to get readers hooked on their product. Plus it is a good possibility that they use the information they get when you register for the site as direct advertising leads.

Still, it is a very good site with nice articles

Oh wow, I didn't put 2 and 2 together.

I should have realized The Sporting News and The Sporting News Today were part of the same entity. My bad for being dumb.

Wow, I wasn't expecting much from a daily online newspaper, but that was a very good read and it seems they do an excellent job with their product.

My question is, how do these guys make money if the subscription is free? I mean, the paper is very in-depth and lengthy, and they do it every day, so it must be their full time jobs right?

Since Jeff D'Alessio (formerly of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution) took over as managing editor, TSN has radically changed its print product, along with adding Sporting News Today in July. The mag has gone to a biweekly schedule and signed up quite a few heavy hitters to contribute stories. John Feinstein now has Dave Kindred's old back-page spot.

So far, I like what I see.

TSN used to be the best mag out there. I never should've let my sub lapse a few years back. If they put the print edition out electronically, I'll sign up again.

TSN used to be the best mag out there. I never should've let my sub lapse a few years back. If they put the print edition out electronically, I'll sign up again.

I stopped getting it years ago, when it became clear they cared far more about baseball than any other sport, and the football coverage wasn't the best. And while that bias is still there in this daily issue it IS world series time...so i can understand that. So far, I like what I see.

I stopped getting it years ago, when it became clear they cared far more about baseball than any other sport,

Baseball has always been their bread and butter...it started primarily as a baseball publication many years ago...it's only relatively recently...30 years or so, that they started covering football with any depth. Now, they're into the four major team sports plus NASCAR (they still doing NASCAR?)

I still have a copy from 1970, with Brooks Robinson on the cover...sigh....

Well, they did a pretty nice job with this weekend's games, in today's issues. I'm not happy that all their prognosticators picked the Bills...but what the hell.

In fact, there was very little disagreement in the picks, for most of the games.

If I was going to pick a nit or two, I would mention that hockey and this weekend's Breeders Cup got short shrift. But, those really are nits, to most people.

I think my laptop may be making morning visits to the bathroom, from now on.