Young Voters Need To Get Active!

This is an excellent op-ed about the entitlement problem looming. He makes a great argument that young voters need to start putting pressure on politicians the same way the AARP is.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8102102252.html

What the debate has lacked so far is a moral dimension. Obama says it's okay to raise taxes on those with incomes exceeding $250,000. Well, why should Social Security and Medicare beneficiaries with incomes of $250,000 get subsidies from the young making less? How about $200,000 or $100,000? What are acceptable eligibility ages? People live longer; they can work longer. Baby boomers cannot be excluded, because they are the problem.

There can be no "rewriting of the social contract" without benefit cuts, because paying today's benefits inevitably involves much higher taxes, massive deficits or draconian cuts in other government programs. Even with sensible benefit cuts, taxes will have to rise and there will be pressure on other programs.

What should you -- the young -- do? First, get angry -- at the media and think tanks for discussing this problem in misleading euphemisms (for instance, the problem is not an "entitlements crisis"; it's excessive benefits for the old); at the candidates for exploiting your innocence; and at yourself for your gullibility.

Next, start picketing AARP. It's the citadel of seniors' political power and the country's most powerful "special interest." It wields a virtual veto over roughly two-fifths of the federal budget. Your activist groups ought to be there every day with placards reading "Give Us Generational Justice" or "Get Off Our Backs." Ask direct questions of federal candidates about what benefits they'd cut, which they'd keep and why.

This is an excellent op-ed about the entitlement problem looming. He makes a great argument that young voters need to start putting pressure on politicians the same way the AARP is.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8102102252.html

Oh this is just great. So now the people who pay in way more into SS over their lifetimes should get less?

Un !@#$ing real.

Oh this is just great. So now the people who pay in way more into SS over their lifetimes should get less?

Un !@#$ing real.

Something has to give or else the younger people will be kicking in way more that they will ever seen in return.

Of course getting the young adults to get politically active about this isn't going to happen tomorrow or the next day or maybe ever

Something has to give or else the younger people will be kicking in way more that they will ever seen in return.

Of course getting the young adults to get politically active about this isn't going to happen tomorrow or the next day or maybe ever

Maybe the young people should do something like the ones that preceded them did...work one , two , maybe three jobs and get off their fat butts. or course the spa's would suffer. No wonder most of them are obese.

I volunteer to not collect any SS if I (and my company on my behalf) only have to contribute 1/3 of what I contribute now.

Deal?

If I ever need to draw on SS, you can lock me in a room and feed me bread, multivitamins, and water till the day I die.