McGee is back

K-Gun10

McGee practicing

By Chris Brown - Posted October 22nd, 2008

Terrence McGee is back practicing in team work for the first time in a month since suffering a sprained MCL against St. Louis. McGee looked to be moving pretty well though he’s still wearing a knee brace.

Also back practicing was Melvin Fowler, but he may not be 100 percent as Duke Preston was still working with the first team offense.

Not practicing Wednesday were Aaron Schobel (foot), Brad Butler (knee) and Ashton Youboty (foot) looked very, very limited. Schobel is still wearing the walking boot.

Tags: Aaron Schobel, Ashton Youboty, Brad Butler, Duke Preston, Melvin Fowler, Terrence McGee

I think Fowler should get to 100 % before rushing back. Give it another 8 weeks.

I know you were joking about Fowler, but I think we should let McGee rest another week, no need to rush things if we're going to make a push for a late playoff game.

I know you were joking about Fowler, but I think we should let McGee rest another week, no need to rush things if we're going to make a push for a late playoff game.

Why should he rest another week? If you can practice, you play. Simple. All these games count.

It's great if McGee can go. Too bad about Schobel, Butler and Youboty, though.

I think it would be good for Fowler to be "available", but not start, to get another look at Duke, at center. The team can use the injury for another week, or two, to see if Preston is really going to deliver, or if he just had a good week.

i know we missed mcgee because leodis was just absolutely abused all day...but did anyone really miss melvin fowler??? i acutually think preston may be better for the long run...i know it dumb to say we didnt miss schobel because we are a better defense with him but we seemed to get by just fine with him out last week

It's great if McGee can go. Too bad about Schobel, Butler and Youboty, though.

I think it would be good for Fowler to be "available", but not start, to get another look at Duke, at center. The team can use the injury for another week, or two, to see if Preston is really going to deliver, or if he just had a good week.

I agree with 100 percent of that post.

I hope McGee's return helps alleviate the loss of Youboty for now.

i know we missed mcgee because leodis was just absolutely abused all day...but did anyone really miss melvin fowler??? i acutually think preston may be better for the long run...i know it dumb to say we didnt miss schobel because we are a better defense with him but we seemed to get by just fine with him out last week

I have to disagree with that characterization of Leodis' play, on Sunday. He did struggle a bit, and both TD's were at his expense (although his coverage in the 2nd TD wasn't bad, at all), so I won't claim he had a spectacular day.

OTOH, as a rookie, in his first starting assignment, against one of the more efficient passing QBs in the league, I thought McKelvin acquitted himself fairly well. The Bills came into that game using a patched together defensive backfield, yet held SD to 191 passing yards, well below their season average.

You can see, simply by looking at the play-by-play log from the game, that Leodis wasn't exactly "abused". He was the #1 target of Rivers, it appears, but he didn't get as lit up, as we have seen young CBs get.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?g...8&week=REG7

I have to disagree with that characterization of Leodis' play, on Sunday. He did struggle a bit, and both TD's were at his expense (although his coverage in the 2nd TD wasn't bad, at all), so I won't claim he had a spectacular day.

OTOH, as a rookie, in his first starting assignment, against one of the more efficient passing QBs in the league, I thought McKelvin acquitted himself fairly well. The Bills came into that game using a patched together defensive backfield, yet held SD to 191 passing yards, well below their season average.

You can see, simply by looking at the play-by-play log from the game, that Leodis wasn't exactly "abused". He was the #1 target of Rivers, it appears, but he didn't get as lit up, as we have seen young CBs get.

I guess if McGee is back he likely won't see much action in the return game. To me it looks like Leodis is running straight into the defenders in kick return, without really hitting any holes. Is it just me?

I guess if McGee is back he likely won't see much action in the return game. To me it looks like Leodis is running straight into the defenders in kick return, without really hitting any holes. Is it just me?

He didn't look like the same returner from college and the preseason. But, I'm guessing he will still get some time at KR.

Having McGee back is great news and more than compensates for the potential loss of Youboty. Fowler was upgraded by Preston and Butler was easily replaced by Whittle. Schobel hasn't impressed me this year, so I can't say his absence was felt. I'd like to see Ellis get some playing time.

Agreed.

First game he started as a rookie and he didnt play bad. You knew they were going to attack him as much as they can. Considering the QB and the receivers we played against, and it being his first start, I think he played well. 2nd TD was a perfect pass. Im not saying he played great but he played well relative to the situation.

Would like to see Schobel back in there soon. Anybody know how he was injured and what kind of timetable they have given him?

I'm not doctor (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night), but Schobel said he is real sore along the top of his foot. It sounds as if it could be a lisfranc sprain, which can be pretty serious if not taken care of well. Chien Ming Wang had a lisfranc fracture and missed the whole season, but I remember there was another player who had a sprain and returned in about a month. If that's the case, I think he might be back next week at the earliest.