Buggs over Haggen?

K-Gun10

Buggs over Haggan

By Chris Brown - Posted October 22nd, 2008

I’m going to start by saying that Marcus Buggs was one of my favorite undrafted free agent pickups after the draft in terms of the group that Buffalo assembled. I liked his aggressiveness and hitting ability and believe he can be an asset on special teams.

That being said, I’m surprised that Mario Haggan was not signed to replace John DiGiorgio on the roster. Buffalo’s coverage teams improved this past week against San Diego, but losing DiGiorgio hurts. It’s another veteran special teamer that will be replaced by a young player.

Haggan, who worked out for the Bills a few weeks ago, was available and ready to go and could slide seamlessly into all four of the spots manned by DiGiorgio on cover and punt and kickoff teams having played under Bobby April the past four years. More importantly he’d add a veteran presence and experience that’s still trying to be gained by a lot of the new special teamers.

In addition, during his time with the Bills he had snaps at MLB and could be a consideration there to fill the void left by DiGiorgio as well. Buggs is an outside linebacker at this level.

Since they chose not to go with Haggan, it’s likely that Kawika Mitchell would serve as the backup MLB, a position he played with the Chiefs. We’ll find out for sure after coach Jauron holds his afternoon press conference at about 2:30pm.

Tags: Kawika Mitchell, Marcus Buggs, Mario Haggan