Question for Skiers

Stl Bills

Surprising the girlfriend with a ski trip on her birthday weekend. I did some asking around and Vail sounds like a pretty great place to go. I've skied Crested Butte and Steamboat but never been anywhere else in Colorado, my question is.....How is Vail for beginners? She's never skied and I'm sticking to the easy stuff after having back surgery two years ago.

Surprising the girlfriend with a ski trip on her birthday weekend. I did some asking around and Vail sounds like a pretty great place to go. I've skied Crested Butte and Steamboat but never been anywhere else in Colorado, my question is.....How is Vail for beginners? She's never skied and I'm sticking to the easy stuff after having back surgery two years ago.

So she doesn't ski, but you are surprising her with a ski trip for her B-day? Wouldn't this be like her surprising you with tickets to go see Oprah on your birthday?

So she doesn't ski, but you are surprising her with a ski trip for her B-day? Wouldn't this be like her surprising you with tickets to go see Oprah on your birthday?

She's never been but really wants to go.

yawn....I liked it better when you talked about young chicks with big "tubes"

yawn....I liked it better when you talked about young chicks with big "tubes"

She's got pretty big boobs, not as big as that other chick though...difference is that other chick was a complete whore :rolleyes:

I've skied quite a few places out here. If you're going to Vail, I would start socking away money now... seriously... simply because of the name "Vail, Colo" you're going to pay twice for damn near everything than what you would pay anywhere else. The skiing is good, but I don't think it's better than some other places in Colo and certainly not when you consider the price.

She can learn to ski in Vail, but really IMO, you might be better off at a place like Winter Park or A-Basin. Seems to me like Vail is where you go to be seen, and some of the places like Winter Park, Steamboat or A-Basin is where you go to ski.

Just my opinion... you can PM me if you have other questions.

I've skied quite a few places out here. If you're going to Vail, I would start socking away money now... seriously... simply because of the name "Vail, Colo" you're going to pay twice for damn near everything than what you would pay anywhere else. The skiing is good, but I don't think it's better than some other places in Colo and certainly not when you consider the price.

She can learn to ski in Vail, but really IMO, you might be better off at a place like Winter Park or A-Basin. Seems to me like Vail is where you go to be seen, and some of the places like Winter Park, Steamboat or A-Basin is where you go to ski.

Just my opinion... you can PM me if you have other questions.

Thanks for the Info Bullpen:

I actually got a pretty good deal IMO, I priced a few other places......Winter Park, Steamboat, and Breck and they were all about the same. I paid $1500 total for 2 adults for the following:

2 plane tickets from Stl to Den. nonstop

1 rental car for 4 days

3 nights lodging at the Vail Plaza Hotel....supposed to be one of the nicest places in Vail

2 days lift tickets (2 people)

2 days rentals (2 people)

Not bad IMO for 750 a piece.

I loved Steamboat and really considered going back but I've heard great things about Vail as well and wanted to check it out. According to my research Vail is one of the few mountains with Green runs at the top of the mountain as apposed to just easy stuff at the base of mountain. I'd like to think I'll be able to get her on some Blues by the end of the trip but in case I can't at least this way I'm not stuck on the bunny slope the whole trip.

I actually got a pretty good deal IMO, I priced a few other places......Winter Park, Steamboat, and Breck and they were all about the same. I paid $1500 total for 2 adults for the following:

2 plane tickets form Stl to Den. nonstop

1 rental car for 4 days

3 nights lodging at the Vail Plaza Hotel....supposed to be one of the nicest places in Vail

I loved Steamboat and really considered going back but I've heard great things about Vail as well and wanted to check it out. According to my research Vail is one of the few mountains with Green runs at the top of the mountain as apposed to just easy stuff at the base of mountain. I'd like to think I'll be able to get her on some Blues by the end of the trip but in case I can't at least this way I'm not stuck on the bunny slope the whole trip.

Not bad!.

Hopefully your girl friend has some athleticism. My wife who had never seen snow nor skied was skiing blues by the second day at Lake Tahoe.

Have Fun, and wear a suit!! :rolleyes:

1 rental car for 4 days

You did get a pretty good deal then, did "The Priceline Negotiator" help you book that deal? <_<

You'll have a great time I'm sure. I wish I could remember some of the more-reasonably-priced places we ate at in Vail, if I do, I'll send 'em to you. Dinner and drinks is where they'll stick it to you, so bringing snacks and drinks might not be a bad idea (ie: buy them in Denver before you head up the pass).

Be sure though to at least visit the liquor store in Beaver Creek. It's called "Beaver Liquors" :rolleyes: Get yourself a can koozie or a t-shirt from there. It's worth it.

Do you know if a little bar called "Albos" or "Aldos" is still in St. Simon Island? Knocked a few back there in my 20s.

Also, that whole area is in high altitude. Unless you are in great shape, you might get altitude sickness. I went to a conference in Keystone (on the way to Vail, etc.). The resort was at 9-10K feet. I had headaches and couldn't sleep through the night until the second to last night. Also, the altitude gets you drunk much faster.

You did get a pretty good deal then, did "The Priceline Negotiator" help you book that deal? <_<

You'll have a great time I'm sure. I wish I could remember some of the more-reasonably-priced places we ate at in Vail, if I do, I'll send 'em to you. Dinner and drinks is where they'll stick it to you, so bringing snacks and drinks might not be a bad idea (ie: buy them in Denver before you head up the pass).

Be sure though to at least visit the liquor store in Beaver Creek. It's called "Beaver Liquors" :rolleyes: Get yourself a can koozie or a t-shirt from there. It's worth it.

Do you know if a little bar called "Albos" or "Aldos" is still in St. Simon Island? Knocked a few back there in my 20s.

Uhh are you kidding about Albo's, one of my closest friends dad was best friends with Albo and used to run their pool tourney on Tuesday's. I was a regular there, and I was all of 17 years old but South Georgia is like Mexico....as long as you can see over the bar your OK. Its no longer Albo's though, its now called Putters....or was 5 years ago which was the last time I was in St. Simons. Same exact bar just a different name.

Not bad!.

Hopefully your girl friend has some athleticism. My wife who had never seen snow nor skied was skiing blues by the second day at Lake Tahoe.

Have Fun, and wear a suit!! :lol:

That wasn't very nice of her to leave you on the bunny slope all by yourself.

1 rental car for 4 days

Sounds nice.

Just remember that SHE HAS NEVER SKIIED... Be prepared to spend the whole time on the bunny slopes at best... Don't be under any illusion that you will get any skiing in yourself if you don't do this:

Enroll her in a two day lesson(s) it will greatly help and it will harmonize the relationship... While she is spending an hour in class... You can at least get a few runs in. Really, you want peace in your relationship?

Look at this way... Skiing or sailing with a novice, especially a girlfriend can be rather unsettling the first time. Unless, you are a really laid back dude... I have even seen the best and calmest lose it if they aren't totally devoted to making the novice's every move their own first and foremost priority.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Sounds nice.

Enroll her in a two day lesson(s) it will greatly help and it will harmonize the relationship... While she is spending an hour in class... You can at least get a few runs in. Really, you want peace in your relationship?

Look at this way... Skiing or sailing with a novice, especially a girlfriend can be rather unsettling the first time. Unless, you are a really laid back dude... I have even seen the best and calmest lose it if they aren't totally devoted to making the novice's every move their own first and foremost priority.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

I could not agree more here. I could not teach my own kids to ski, and would never think of trying with someone i did not want to get pissed at me within an hr. Guess I am just not cut out to be the teacher type.

In terms of Vail, I have never skied there. However, I have been to Beaver Creek twice, and just loved it there. Slight problem is Beaver Creek way expensive, unless you are willing to wait till first stay of spring season. But dam, the Park Hyatt at Beaver Creek is soooo worth the cash. They have Greens all the way up the mountains as well.

BTW, someone said you can ski from Vail to Beaver, and i am almost 100% certain that is a negative. You can ski from Beaver Creek to Bacelor Gulch and Arrowhead, but Vial is quite a distance from Beaver Creek, I would guess at least 7-10 miles. BTW, was just on their web site, 40% of January 10-17th

Great advice from EII. You've already ponied up for the trip. Don't try to teach her to ski, it will only lead to frustration. Pony up for at least a day of lessons.

As for Vail itself. I have a love/hate relationship.

Love.

Some of the best open bowl & inbounds "expert terrain (Blue Sky Basin) in the country. I'm not a huge fan of groomers, but riding a groomed bowl is unreal.

Despite the pretentiousness and astronomical prices, you can still find little out of the way bars restaraunts that have character.

Katlenberg Kastle. Used to be in Lionshead. They've redid the whole place since my last visit, but they had phenomonal liter beer specials.

Hate

Can get ridiculously crowded by some of the snootiest/rudest people on the planet. Higher concentration of Euros than other resorts...not enough Aussies. For good skiers/riders I think BC down the road offers a better on mountain experience. Just as snooty, but 20% of the people (No lift lines)

Again...haven't been there in a couple years (and maybe I'm getting too Disney) but the design of the whole place seems sloppy. Kind of like the South. A build whatever and wherever you want kind of feel. Best I can explain it.

All in all, probably not a bad place to take her for hte first time. They do a great job maintain their trails (which she'll appreciate) and there's enough off mountain activities/entertainment to satisfy anyone.

BTW, someone said you can ski from Vail to Beaver, and i am almost 100% certain that is a negative. You can ski from Beaver Creek to Bacelor Gulch and Arrowhead, but Vial is quite a distance from Beaver Creek, I would guess at least 7-10 miles. BTW, was just on their web site, 40% of January 10-17th

That was me - you very well might be right. For some reason I thought that we started at Vail and skied all the way over to Arrowhead and back one day. Looking at the maps and trail maps it would be virtually impossible. I'll chalk it up to old age - not to too much beer.