MattyT

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

what kind of crab do you take?

Whatever is best at the local seafood shop. When I lived on the west coast, it was usually Dungeness or Alaskan King. When I was in the Northeast, I think it was Maine crab, but I think that there are several varieties.

Here in Florida, it tends to be Blue crab, I think. I think the Maine crab was the best, but they all work very well.

What kind of crabs did you catch in France? :(

Whatever is best at the local seafood shop. When I lived on the west coast, it was usually Dungeness or Alaskan King. When I was in the Northeast, I think it was Maine crab, but I think that there are several varieties.

Here in Florida, it tends to be Blue crab, I think. I think the Maine crab was the best, but they all work very well.

What kind of crabs did you catch in France? :(

i'm lucky to live on the coast so i can find some fresh fished "tourteaux"... or some "sea spiders" those big ones are pretty good! Or i can retreat to some boxed/packed or frozen Alaskan King (if i can find some "whole crab" and not those disgusting "in parts" stuff)

Thank god for McD's in other countries. I went to Basel once from SF.Got only 2 hours of sleep in about 30 hours. Got into Basel 4 hours late. All I wanted to do was eat and about a block from the hotel was a McD's. Went in and asked for a zwei (#2-Royale w/cheese) while holding up 3 fingers. The girl at the register asked in English:"What do you want? No. 2 or 3." :(

Thank god for McD's in other countries. I went to Basel once from SF.Got only 2 hours of sleep in about 30 hours. Got into Basel 4 hours late. All I wanted to do was eat and about a block from the hotel was a McD's. Went in and asked for a zwei (#2-Royale w/cheese) while holding up 3 fingers. The girl at the register asked in English:"What do you want? No. 2 or 3." :lol:

Did you put mayo on your FF Mr. Vega? :(

I buy seafood at the local Asian supermarket. There are two in town. They have live fish, crabs, lobsters, clams and other shellfish. The fillets in the stryrofoam trays are filleted that day. I take it home and freeze it immediately. It does not smell "fishy" at all, that is how fresh it is.

Then it's not Alfredo.

The original Alfredo sauce was butter-based.

"...the dish was invented by di Lelio at his restaurant Alfredo alla Scrofa in 1914 as a variation of fettuccine al burro. When butter was added both before and after fettuccine was put in the serving bowl, the butter was known as doppio burro (double butter). Di Lelio's original contribution was to double the amount of butter in the bowl before the fettuccine would be poured in, thus a triplo burro (triple butter) effect instead of double, which he started doing for his pregnant wife, who was having difficulty keeping food down. When his wife began eating again, Alfredo added the new dish to his restaurant's menu."

The original Alfredo sauce was butter-based.

"...the dish was invented by di Lelio at his restaurant Alfredo alla Scrofa in 1914 as a variation of fettuccine al burro. When butter was added both before and after fettuccine was put in the serving bowl, the butter was known as doppio burro (double butter). Di Lelio's original contribution was to double the amount of butter in the bowl before the fettuccine would be poured in, thus a triplo burro (triple butter) effect instead of double, which he started doing for his pregnant wife, who was having difficulty keeping food down. When his wife began eating again, Alfredo added the new dish to his restaurant's menu."

I stand corrected.

My sister-in-law worked for packaging company and made the wrappers for Velveeta. She said Velveeta is made from whatever cheese Kraft has leftover, melted down and colored orange, so no two batches of Velveeta are exactly the same. The hard part of her job was coming up with a wrapper that wouldn't stick to the stuff even when the cheese mix would be different each time. Bon appetit.

PTR

My sister-in-law worked for packaging company and made the wrappers for Velveeta. She said Velveeta is made from whatever cheese Kraft has leftover, melted down and colored orange, so no two batches of Velveeta are exactly the same. The hard part of her job was coming up with a wrapper that wouldn't stick to the stuff even when the cheese mix would be different each time. Bon appetit.

PTR

I thought Velveeta was made by DuPont?

PTR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velveeta

In 2002, the FDA warned Kraft that Velveeta was being sold with packaging that described it as a "pasteurized processed cheese food," which the FDA claimed was false ("cheese food" must contain at least 51% cheese). Velveeta is now sold as a "cheese product," using a term for items that contain less than 51% cheese.[3]

Less than 51% cheese. Shudder