My Meaningless Opinion

R. Rich

The weather was fantastic for Sunday's game! Considering how damn cold it was the day before when I went to the UB-Army game, I was pleasantly surprised.

The power outage thingy kinda sucked, but then again, we (my friend Mike and I) got there a few minutes after kickoff, so we didn't miss much action. Thanks, tards w/ balloons.

Trent Edwards really did a great job of moving the chains and minimizing mistakes. That's exactly what the Bills need to go from pretenders to contenders. I also like how they're spreading the ball 'round and using the backs and TE more.

Speaking of, props to Robert Royal on his performance! Sure you players don't read the papers, watch TV, or surf the 'net to hear what people are saying. Ya think the passion he showed wasn't in any way fueled by the Gonzalez rumors?

Marshawn Lynch is really impressive. I can't kick it on the O line this week too much (usually I'm blasting 'em for not opening the rush lanes for Lynch enough), as the opportunities were there this week. Duke Preston, another TBD whipping boy, did an admirable job @ center this week. It certainly looked like Edwards had more of a throwing lane in the A gap than he's had recently. Langston Walker did a good job of getting out on Lynch's TD run. Of course, Fred Jackson's planting of Quentin Jammer was even more impressive on that play.

What a novel idea it was to bring some heat up the middle this time instead of relying on our outside guys (DEs, OLBs) to beat people off the edge. Kawika Mitchell owned the Chargers due in large part to this strategy. I also liked how they mixed it up a bit. There were a couple plays where I saw Mitchell fake a delayed blitz and dropped back into coverage. On one of those, the slot receiver caught the ball but Mitchell was there to stop the YAC from getting ridiculous. The other one? That pick @ the goal line that went a long way toward getting the Bills the win. Great job.

Is Fred Jackson a great weapon for this offense or what? The block was great, but also his running is a great asset and makes for a terrific one-two punch w/ Lynch. He's becoming as versatile and vaulable to the Bills' offense as Kevin Faulk has been for so long w/ New England's.

Nice effort from Ryan Denney too. It's refreshing to see the RDE go inside a few times and either get the pressure or stymie a running play. Hopefully we'll see more of that from Schobel when he's ready to go.

Speaking of run defense, is it really true that LaDainian Tomlinson is a running back for the Chargers??? Props to the outside guys on eliminating what has been a glaring weakness of the Bills' defense: the running plays to the outside. Keith Ellison and Mitchell were outstanding in keeping things contained and Posluszny did a nice job of pursuing plays all day. This may be the best overall effort from our LB unit all season.

I noticed a few comments on McKelvin's play after the game. I'd love to see his guy end up w/ 0 catches too, but we cannot expect him to cover for 6-8 seconds and still make the stop. While our D did a tremendous job of keeping the running game in check, we still need more heat from the outside guys, especially on obvious passing downs. Once we see that w/ a high frequency, then I think we'll see guys like McKelvin, McGee, and Greer get after it and maybe even come up w/ some game changing turnovers.

Welcome back, Roscoe Parrish. You were missed. Hopefully, you'll come up w/ some daggers to the hearts of our division opponents in the coming weeks.

So, the Bills are 5-1, eh?

What a novel idea it was to bring some heat up the middle this time instead of relying on our outside guys (DEs, OLBs) to beat people off the edge. Kawika Mitchell owned the Chargers due in large part to this strategy. I also liked how they mixed it up a bit. There were a couple plays where I saw Mitchell fake a delayed blitz and dropped back into coverage. On one of those, the slot receiver caught the ball but Mitchell was there to stop the YAC from getting ridiculous. The other one? That pick @ the goal line that went a long way toward getting the Bills the win. Great job.

I was thrilled to see this as well, and it needs to be the blueprint for our game vs. the Patriots*. It should also go a long ways to disrupting the Fish's Puddycat Offense.

Did you get a chance to key in on Peters at all? I'm still trying to figure out if he was good or if Castillo, who seemed to keep trying to rush the outside of Peters, was just having a bad day.

I have been watching Peters the last two weeks and he is back in form after a sloppy start. He is a good football player and still somewhat inexperienced. Preston appears to be an upgrade over Fowler. Now if we could get Butler up to speed we may have a good line.

Nice effort from Ryan Denney too. It's refreshing to see the RDE go inside a few times and either get the pressure or stymie a running play. Hopefully we'll see more of that from Schobel when he's ready to go.

Welcome back, Roscoe Parrish. You were missed. Hopefully, you'll come up w/ some daggers to the hearts of our division opponents in the coming weeks.

So, the Bills are 5-1, eh?

Denny really played balls out (sorry Winslow, bad imagery). One play in paricular sticks in my mind where he came off of his block and dove inside to trip up LT for a relatively short gain.

I missed Roscoe, glad he's back. Nice 22 yard throw and catch at a critical time in the game. I feel a big game coming on from the former Cane.

McCorner...if your going to return kicks...quit pitter patting around. Get up the field and find the lanes, can't wait for 'em.

I do believe that I saw our rookie Ellis with the QB pressure on the Mitchell pick. Anybody confirm that? If so, that is great to see the rookie getting pressure on in a game-on-the-line scenario.