Historical Game of the Week

KRC

Since this is Miami week and we have not discussed the All-America Football Conference (AAFC), I thought I would focus this week's Historical GOTW on the Miami Seahawks. This August 30th preseason matchup is the first ever meeting between the Seahawks and the Buffalo Bisons.

Hsitorical Game of the Week

Next week: September 17, 1961 New York Titans vs. Buffalo Bills

Thanks Ken! Great stuff.

We drafted Art Donovan? I love that guy. His stories from his playing days are legendary, and he played for many years -giving him lots of material!

Yup. We drafted Donovan.

Thank you Ken. Was it a coincidence that the game was played in Baltimore & then the team moved there after the season, or were the owners already looking for greener pastures/deeper pockets?

My guess is that the AAFC wanted to have a presence in Baltimore in order to compete with George Preston Marshall's Washington Redskins.

Baltimore was originally going to have a franchise. They dropped out at the last minute because the owner had military obligations (that whole war thingy that was going on at the time). Miami was accepted as a franchise to replace Baltimore. I am guessing that they still wanted to let Baltimore know that there was a desire to have a franchise in Baltimore.

When Miami was having financial difficulties, they folded and a different Baltimore group stepped up to purchase a franchise. That franchise was named the Colts.