Jackson & Lynch

deep2evans

Since I see people talking about this in every single thread, I figured I'd start one to get some solid discussion on it. Jackson is standing out, playing fantastic football. Lynch is a workhorse, and already has a bunch of touchdowns, but I think people are starting to get concerned that a guy with his talent should have a higher YPC. I still maintain, and I don't think many can argue, that our run-blocking is mediocre. How much is that holding back Marshawn? Is Jackson really "better" than Marshawn at finding the open holes? It should be noted that I think Marshawn can be a top 5 back in this league no question, and Jackson has Thurman-like hands coming out of the backfield. At the end of the day, it's a fabulous situation, but what should the Bills next move be? Upgrading the O-line ASAP or giving Fred more carries?

Jackson has a well deserved payday with somebody this offseason....sad to say it but he deserves it and its the truth.

Doubtful. Buffalo will resign him at a secondary contract. He isn't an every down back and Buffalo coaches recognize that.

He'll be making much more money after this year, but hopefully, it will be for the Bills.

I like Jackson as an off back, who is completely different that Lynch. He's got great explosion, but only when there is a a 'Marshawn' type back in front of him. He'll have a pretty good NFL career, but if he goes to another team to be a starter, he's not going to be the chess piece that he is now.

At some point, for the offense to hit the next level, we are going to need a running game. People make mention that we need the O-line to block better, and that may be true. What we need to find out if there is a plausible solution rather than sign free-agents mid-season, and that's start Jackson who looks like a real RB who can gain 4-6 yards on 1st down with some regularity. We aren't getting that with Lynch who either gets 0-2 yards, or gets 12 yards. I've yet to see Lynch get a series of carries for a first down when there isn't a big hole for him to gash the D for 10+ yards.

That's reality, and right now Jackson seems to be the consistent 4-6 yard back. I've yet to see him consistently get less than 2 yards a carry, and that is the point of the running game which is maximize short-distance yardage to create mismatches on 2nd and 3rd downs. You can't expect Trent to be 25/30 in the winter. This has to be addressed now.

I know Marshawn deserves our respect as he plays so damn hard every snap, but that does not mean he has to be the starter either. He could be the bruising 8 carry back for the moment. If this continues we are screwed deeper in the season. Love Marshawn, but as someone objectively watching the offense Jackson is better for the present. I hope he gets to start and see if it is the ignition to a better running game. Watching Lynch get 1-2 yards side-stepping and dancing is not what the O needs long term.

Doubtful. Buffalo will resign him at a secondary contract. He isn't an every down back and Buffalo coaches recognize that.

He'll be making much more money after this year, but hopefully, it will be for the Bills.

I like Jackson as an off back, who is completely different that Lynch. He's got great explosion, but only when there is a a 'Marshawn' type back in front of him. He'll have a pretty good NFL career, but if he goes to another team to be a starter, he's not going to be the chess piece that he is now.

Did you watch him play against the Redskins when Marshawn was hurt? He had a game Marshawn never had with more overall yardage and better between the stat numbers than Marshawn.

Jackson is more Thurman-like with better YAC skills and better north-south running for positive yards. You have to understand the 1st rounder will play no matter how much better their back-ups are for fans and to make the front-office look better. Watch how many touches Benson had with Chicago over Thomas who was better. The same thing happens year after year.

If we lose Jackson to FA and watch him succeed, which I believe will happen, it will be exhausting trying to replace a guy who can average 4.5 ypc, and 9 yards per catch. I don't know if Jackson is durable enough, but he's worth trying as he is the only back on this team that is capable.

The Buffalo coaches saw Anthony Thomas as a better back too. Want to bet it had more with how much they pay over who is better? Happens on every team, every year.