Frank Caliendo gives both candidates a ribbing.

buckeyemike

Caliendo does Bush and John Madden as well as I have ever seen/heard anyone impersonate anyone. If Frank lost about 60 or 70 pounds, he would even have Bush's face down pat...

I remember the first time I had ever become aware of FC. I turned on some sports talk radio show, and they were interviewing (I thought) John Madden. Not knowing it was FC, I started to have immense respect for Madden, because, it seemed he wasn't the big, dumb, oaf I had always thought he was. He was "in" on the joke...as it turned out, I was had...but I started appreciating Madden more, because of Caliendo. You could not detect that it was an impersonation when you listened. For all intents and purposes, it was Madden, talking about getting drunk, how sleepy he would get working with Summerall...funny stuff.

Caliendo does Bush and John Madden as well as I have ever seen/heard anyone impersonate anyone. If Frank lost about 60 or 70 pounds, he would even have Bush's face down pat...

Agreed. But, have you noticed that Caliendo just isn't funny if he isn't doing an impression? I have seen him do stand up on TV, a few times, and when he tries to be funny as Frank C (not doing an impression) he simply isn't funny.

Agreed. But, have you noticed that Caliendo just isn't funny if he isn't doing an impression? I have seen him do stand up on TV, a few times, and when he tries to be funny as Frank C (not doing an impression) he simply isn't funny.

I think part of that might be, because he made his name (or his money at least) doing impressions, he can't be "too edgy" to keep getting work in prime time. His spots on the FOX pre-game shows aren't really all that funny, but I know he can be very funny. I saw him do standup about 2 or 3 years ago, and had a blast. I did notice, however, he is very careful not to skewer his humour too far left or too far right. For every "Bush as reatard" impression he does, he balances it out with a "Slick Willie" as sleezeball...think Rich Little or John Byner...when I was a kid, I thought those two guys were awesome. As I got older, though, I realized they was not much too them, beyond the impersonations. Nothing wrong with that...they have their niche...Caliendo as Madden is hilarious every time, for me!

I think part of that might be, because he made his name (or his money at least) doing impressions, he can't be "too edgy" to keep getting work in prime time. His spots on the FOX pre-game shows aren't really all that funny, but I know he can be very funny. I saw him do standup about 2 or 3 years ago, and had a blast. I did notice, however, he is very careful not to skewer his humour too far left or too far right. For every "Bush as reatard" impression he does, he balances it out with a "Slick Willie" as sleezeball...think Rich Little or John Byner...when I was a kid, I thought those two guys were awesome. As I got older, though, I realized they was not much too them, beyond the impersonations. Nothing wrong with that...they have their niche...Caliendo as Madden is hilarious every time, for me!

Exactly my point. And Byner and Little are perfect comparisons, except I think Caliendo might be better....at least his best characters are better.