BuffaloNews.com

I wrote a complaint once because every single Latest Local News headline (like 10 of them) was about rape, killing, or something else negative. And most of the times I had visited almost all had been negative.

I know Buffalo has crime, but looking at that every day you think Western NY is the crime capital of the world.

Of course they wrote back and just said that's the news.

I wrote a complaint once because every single Latest Local News headline (like 10 of them) was about rape, killing, or something else negative. And most of the times I had visited almost all had been negative.

I know Buffalo has crime, but looking at that every day you think Western NY is the crime capital of the world.

Of course they wrote back and just said that's the news.

thats what the people eat up. the "news business" has left journalism and joined the ranks of the entertainment industry. so thats what we get.

i think the buffalo news reporting about all that crime is a get even slap in the face to buffalo police for withholding reports of crime in certain parts of the city to make statistics lean in their favor.

Interesting perspective - given the Buffalo Snooze's penchant for patting itself on the back and despite Buffalo's own proclivity for self-flagellation, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Is it the worst web site site for a major newspaper that you have ever seen?

:lol:

Not by a long shot. BN Web site > any Gannett newspaper, including Indy and Rochester. Have I mentioned lately how much I despise the Gannett cookie-cutter template? And I love anything Mike Vaccaro writes, but the Post's site makes my eyes hurt.

Dr.Dank, my mentor in the business relayed to me something his mentor told him, a long time ago: "News is what people are talking about." Here's his take on how that relates to covering sports: "After a game, I try to figure out what the people are discussing about it as they leave. If I've answered their question (or questions) and addressed their observations, I've done my job." That's worked well for him over the years, and I'm trying to follow those guidelines in my own writing.

Of course, you're dead on about the rise of "infotainment": if people didn't care about the Celebrities Gone Wild stuff, there wouldn't be a market for it. And when the Brett-to-the-Jets soap opera was in full force, football fans were talking about it whether they'd read the latest updates or not. Hence, it received heavy coverage.

But there are still good people in the business, doing great work. Ask R. Rich about his brother, an investigative journalist who helped get a crooked mayor booted out of office, then broke a mortgage-fraud story that ended up with the culprits going to prison. Maybe his stories don't get as many hits as the most recent Britney update, but they're out there.

As for the crime-ridden "Latest Local News"? Not much room for daily enterprise stuff any more, and fewer people left to write it. So, as the industry continues its downhill slide, you'll likely see more police reports and school-board meeting recaps, not less. And like it or not, they are newsworthy. If I lived on Elmwood or Clinton (to pick a couple of street names out of the current headlines), I'd want to know about any potentially dangerous situations in my neighborhood ...

Well, maybe not USA Today...

I'm not a fan of McPaper, but I'll clarify my original statement to restrict it to the various city outlets. That includes both print and broadcast, because they use the same template for their TV stations. (WGRZ-2 in Buffalo is one.)

I'm not a fan of McPaper, but I'll clarify my original statement to restrict it to the various city outlets. That includes both print and broadcast, because they use the same template for their TV stations. (WGRZ-2 in Buffalo is one.)

McPaper... B-)

I hadn't heard that one before.

And yeah, I'm not a fan either. USA Today pretty much started the whole dumbing down of the media...

McPaper... B-)

I hadn't heard that one before.

And yeah, I'm not a fan either. USA Today pretty much started the whole dumbing down of the media...

When I would travel and not in WNY, and be out of the office or hotel room all day (so, limited Internet access), I would sometimes pick up McPaper to get SOME Bills info. I would try to buy the Friday and/or Monday paper to get more than the two lines of into, the local rag (of whatever city I was in) was likely to print.