This is what America needs!

PromoTheRobot

Considering the success (complete lack) of free municipal WiFi, I can certainly see how its going to work on a national scale, with $$ billions needed to build the infrastructure and access.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the success (complete lack) of free municipal WiFi, I can certainly see how its going to work on a national scale, with $$ billions needed to build the infrastructure and access.

So the government is going to spend billions of my money so Bubba can google moonshine recipes from his back porch?

We spent just many more billions so CEO's can go out and get pedicures... I think we get off cheaper sending the money to Billy Bob.

Hey great comeback. Unfortunately one has nothing to do with the other. Glad to see that you understand what's going on.

What's you point. Of course they don't have anything to do with each other... Both are hand outs... At least Billy Bob my jump on the WWW and actually buy something.

Well you point to where you have information that CEOs are going to get billions on this "bailout."

Well you point to where you have information that CEOs are going to get billions on this "bailout."

Listen, your job is to shut up and help other people whether you like it or not, mmm-kay? Go out. Earn money. Give it to the government and let THEM figure out what is best, mmm-kay? Share and redistribute the wealth, mmm-kay? And if you have a problem with that, you're a selfish racist, mmm-kay? After all, in case you haven't noticed, the government has done such a GREAT job with the bailout, the rescue plan, and every other idiotic mis-step to keep Nancy Pelosi and Barney Frank and the other highway robbers happy, that CLEARLY we all know what a bang up job they'll do doling out your income to people too lazy to get off their ass and take responsibility for their own lives.

Christ, we are one stupid mother !@#$ing country. And we're getting exactly what we deserve.

Listen, your job is to shut up and help other people whether you like it or not, mmm-kay? Go out. Earn money. Give it to the government and let THEM figure out what is best, mmm-kay? Share and redistribute the wealth, mmm-kay? And if you have a problem with that, you're a selfish racist, mmm-kay? After all, in case you haven't noticed, the government has done such a GREAT job with the bailout, the rescue plan, and every other idiotic mis-step to keep Nancy Pelosi and Barney Frank and the other highway robbers happy, that CLEARLY we all know what a bang up job they'll do doling out your income to people too lazy to get off their ass and take responsibility for their own lives.

Christ, we are one stupid mother !@#$ing country. And we're getting exactly what we deserve.

Hey you said it! Now you have slipped into paranoia.

:thumbsup:

Considering 95%+ of Americans can get high speed internet for $20/mo, I fail to see how this is a critical issue.

At this point, there's no plan for the government to subsidize the free WiFi project - I'm jut questioning the economic viability of the project.

Plumbing and sewer is public health. My father was 12 before they had indoor plumbing... Another relative had the nice peonies in town... They would throw the pot right out the window... :thumbsup:

It is public health and a smart idea for municipalities to provide it, but that doesn't make it a right (I'm not saying you're implying that btw, just continuing the debate.) If it was a right, every incorporated village, town, hamlet, etc... would need to provide it instead of making rural homeowners put in a septic system and dig a well, or at the very least foot the bill for those two things in areas it can't be provided.

That's not how it is though. Cities run water and sewer lines, charge a connection fee for homeowners who would like the service then the homeowner is responsible for paying some of the cost. A few rural areas where the lines aren't run may end up subsidizing the cost for a service they can't utilize, but it's a lot closer to a better system then providing a government luxury that is specifically designed around how much you make.

Given the general level of intelligence, I see this as yet another opportunity to swipe even more personal information.

Is not the government giving everyone $40 for a digital converter box? I would guess more people would give up their toilets before TV.

PTR

Only because the government raised $19 billion for those airwaves.

Given the general level of intelligence, I see this as yet another opportunity to swipe even more personal information.

Identity thieves everywhere are licking their chops waiting for municipal wifi to become the norm.

I'm on board. I cover HS football games for the Cleveland Plain Dealer, and I hate running around on deadline trying to find a live phone line or an unsecured WiFi signal. I'd love to be able to flip open the laptop, jump on to a network and email my story in.

Some of the tech gurus can correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am) but I think WiMax is the next wave of wireless broadband.

And what's wrong with the CPD buying you a Verizon Wireless card (or other) and their cell-based Internet service? I've got it and I'm not shackled to WIFI spots.