Anyone know the FCC regulations withrgards to swearing?

Wacka

I was scanning the FM dial in the car yesterday and it stops on a station that was playing recorded comedy. It had Gilbert Gottfried and the jokes had several F***ings and s**ts in them. Then they played a song by what sounded by Jack Black (Tenatious D?) where he was asking a girl to F him. I kow that DJs like Stern, and others get reamed if they even get near certain subjects.

I checked the frequency when I got home and it was a local Community College. This wasn't late at night, it was at 7:10 PM.

Are there different profanity laws with colleges?

No, they are supposed to follow the rules, since their transmission is not just on campus. Here's a section from SUNY Albany about it....

Safe harbor and other stuff you can get fined for:

College radio is free format and non-commercial but what can be said and played is still restricted by the FCC. Obscene language or the use of the 7 dirty words (you know what they are) cannot be used at anytime. Music containing obscene language or content can only be played within the areas of 10pm and 6 am. This time period is called safe harbor. Obscene language still cannot be used, but songs with obscene language or content can be played.

Here's a link to the FCC with the rules and how to file a complaint.

Jack,'

The FCC does not have the personnel to police radio and/or TV. So basically they only act when someone complains. So if you want to mess with that station, file a complaint. There may even be an online form at www.fcc.gov.

PTR

I'm not a prude, but it was at7 PM Saturday and I was about 30 miles from the college, so their signal reaches most of the SF Bay area. If it was at night, it wouldn't have bothered me, but at that hour, young kids could run across it. I listen mostly to talk and sports on AM. I had to replace my battery recently and the presets got wiped out. So, I was listening to FM yesterday while driving and that station was the first one the scan function found. It was down in the 80s MHz "ghetto", where the college, classical music and NPR stations are.

I'm not a prude, but it was at7 PM Saturday and I was about 30 miles from the college, so their signal reaches most of the SF Bay area. If it was at night, it wouldn't have bothered me, but at that hour, young kids could run across it. I listen mostly to talk and sports on AM. I had to replace my battery recently and the presets got wiped out. So, I was listening to FM yesterday while driving and that station was the first one the scan function found. It was down in the 80s MHz "ghetto", where the college, classical music and NPR stations are.

That's where I do all my FM radio listening. Jazz, NPR, Classical...sweet.