In CA you can get traffic ticket in mail?

BillsWatch

I had a small accident with rental car where I bumped another car. It was entirely my fault which I admitted to. It was in one of those "roads" which are really alleys and I backed into a low lying car pulling out a parking space because I was paying attention to pedestrians.

When exchanging insurance company info he calls MY insurance company (renter insurance) and they tell him to find a cop for record. The cop comes after a beach patrol cop calls him and get information telling me he was going to "cite me at fault". I did not have an issue with that but he did not give me a ticket so I assumed he was talking about insurance. Only thing I got was a "business" card and him stating he would not be answering any questions.

Three weeks after trip I get a citation in mail. If insurance company had not insisted on calling cop there would be no ticket. If cop had not told me I was getting a ticket at time my reaction would be different but being on East Coast I do not see any way of fighting this ticket. I have never heard of a cop giving a moving violation ticket after the fact for such an accident. The ticket just gives me a choice between traffic court and bail. Bail on a 3-4 mph no injury accident?

Is this usual for California?

I'm a dickhead in PA, if someone is not doing the speed limit, I flash the high beams. :)

Sometimes these people pull over and allow me to pass. I'm always waiting to see a ticket in my mail box for reckless driving.

Made that more accurate for you.

I'm a crazy driver in PA, if someone is not doing the speed limit, I flash the high beams. :rolleyes:

Sometimes these people pull over and allow me to pass. I'm always waiting to see a ticket in my mail box for reckless driving.

If I have a piece of steel in the receiever of my trailer hitch... I just go slower when somebody does this to me!

With regards to CA, do you plan on going back and driving? After so many years, will it go away?

What is the worst they can do to you? Have a bench warrant out for your arrest? Don't go back to CA.

With regards to CA, do you plan on going back and driving? After so many years, will it go away?

What is the worst they can do to you? Have a bench warrant out for your arrest? Don't go back to CA.

Yes I probably will in next year but I will not be taking the company rental insurance. That insurance cost me more than if I had been covered by my own insurance.