Troubling

generaLee83

A 3rd round defensive end should have seen some playing time by this point in the season, especially with the abysmal play of this defensive line.

Has anyone heard anything? Is this guy nutty? Unmotivated?

Has he even been active in any games thus far?

Abysmal? Please.

A 3rd round defensive end should have seen some playing time by this point in the season, especially with the abysmal play of this defensive line.

Has anyone heard anything? Is this guy nutty? Unmotivated?

Has he even been active in any games thus far?

He's a rookie. Think back to the rookie seasons of fellow 3rd rounder Ashton Youboty, and former 1st rounders John Fina, Henry Jones & Eric Moulds (drafted when the team was always a playoff contender). When a team is pretty good, rookies sit. Have patience, during the Marv years he always preferred the "rookies" to be 2nd year players.

He's a rookie. Think back to the rookie seasons of fellow 3rd rounder Ashton Youboty, and former 1st rounders John Fina, Henry Jones & Eric Moulds (drafted when the team was always a playoff contender). When a team is pretty good, rookies sit. Have patience, during the Marv years he always preferred the "rookies" to be 2nd year players.

We're not very good at getting after the QB though...why not get him some reps to see what the kid can do?

Abysmal? Please.

Yes, absolutely abysmal.

With the money that is tied up on this defensive line the team should be embarassed by it's play.

5 sacks against Seattle.

5 more sacks against 4 other teams.

Getting Ellis some playing time cannot possibly be that bad of an idea. Maybe if Schobel got pulled out for a play or two it might light a fire under his asss and make him re-examine his philosophy of sprinting 30 yards past the offensive line every single play.

You should be happy that we have a team good enough that it can sit its rookies, groom them and bring them along slowly. The fact that McKelvin, Hardy and Ellis are riding the pine most of the time is a good thing.

Teams that thrust wide-eyed rookies into starting roles are usually rebuilding and lose games.

He's the same place Fred Jackson was last year for the first 6 games; being wasted on the inactive list.

That is the one thing that I don't like about this staff. Young guys who have vets in front of them don't get a chance until someone is out with an injury. We saw it with Jackson & Greer last year. This year we're seeing it with all the rookies.

That is the one thing that I don't like about this staff. Young guys who have vets in front of them don't get a chance until someone is out with an injury. We saw it with Jackson & Greer last year. This year we're seeing it with all the rookies.

By all , who do you mean? McKelvin, Hardy, and Corner have seen playing time this year.

By all , who do you mean? McKelvin, Hardy, and Corner have seen playing time this year.

McKelvin barely played on D until the McGee injury. Corner wasn't even active until last week and Hardy has been 4th on the depth chart until Roscoe went down.

McKelvin barely played on D until the McGee injury. Corner wasn't even active until last week and Hardy has been 4th on the depth chart until Roscoe went down.

OK - should all these rookies be playing ahead of the starters?

So they should sit the experienced players on the bench in favor of the draftees because...they drafted them?

:)

I think it probably has more to do with special teams than anything else. Copeland Bryan has more experience than he does, and the fourth DE doesn't get enough defensive snaps to justify playing Ellis over Bryan right now.

On top of that, Bryan has probably been working harder in practice. Bryan is a former undrafted free agent trying to hang on. Ellis is a third round pick. He isn't playing with the same urgency. It's sad, but often true.

I think it probably has more to do with special teams than anything else. Copeland Bryan has more experience than he does, and the fourth DE doesn't get enough defensive snaps to justify playing Ellis over Bryan right now.

On top of that, Bryan has probably been working harder in practice. Bryan is a former undrafted free agent trying to hang on. Ellis is a third round pick. He isn't playing with the same urgency. It's sad, but often true.

special teams be damned - bryan has got plenty of snaps on defense and looked horrible.....he has no instinct and constantly runs straight up field, taking himself out of the play........given his upside, we need to see what ellis can do and i'm sure at this point of the year he can adequately handle bryan's special team role

and by the way the play that sticks out in my mind regarding bryan on special teams was a holding penalty that pinned the bills on their own 1 yard line at a crucial moment of the raider game

special teams be damned -

Well, I wouldn't go that far. Special teams are a really big deal, and shouldn't be taken lightly. But, I agree that Bryan seems to be useless in the D. I have to believe that Ellis would be a decent ST player, and be able to contribute something on D.

Of course, there may be things going on that we don't know about. Just a thought...

Well, I wouldn't go that far. Special teams are a really big deal, and shouldn't be taken lightly. But, I agree that Bryan seems to be useless in the D. I have to believe that Ellis would be a decent ST player, and be able to contribute something on D.

Of course, there may be things going on that we don't know about. Just a thought...

IMO, the benefit of having ellis on defense will easily outweigh the benefit of having bryan on ST.......it is not like the ST's have been that great this year anyway