John McCain Only Wants To Be President.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He does have some class though.

Linkage

Later in Minnesota, a woman told McCain: "I don't trust Obama. I have read about him and he's an Arab."

McCain shook his head and said, "No ma'am, no ma'am. He's a decent family man...[a] citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues. That's what this campaign is all about."

The audience then applauded McCain.

Saw a clip on the news last night where JM was responding to someone... Said that although he thinks he'd make a better president than Obama --- that's why he's running after all --- Obama "is a decent person and a person we shouldn't be scared of as President of the United States" (it just ran again) and we won't be doomed should he win. Said they have differences in policy, that's it.

The crowd started booing and there were shouts of "No!"

Imagine the gall of JM, saying such a thing! Republicans want to hear that Obama drinks babies' blood and laughs it up with bin Laden. Thing is, maybe if JM really believes this, he should send a memo to Palin to temper her rhetoric. Honestly, I believe JM has found out that the negative / ad hoc stuff on Obama isn't working and he needs to change tack slightly. I wouldn't doubt that their internal polling is saying that the independents he needs to win have been turned off in droves by this stuff.

McCain has really gone into a shell over the course of this campaign. The Straight Talk Express where reporters could talk to him about anything and everything was ended. Kaput. He's made some admissions and stances that have all but lost him specific states (Iowa and Michigan) and have people worried about him in the current climate (that the economy isn't his strong suit). I don't know if it's possible at this point. This country elects Democrats when they want to be mothered and elects Republicans when they want a father. America is running straight for mama's arms.

McCain is saying that because the campaign is getting attacked from all sides about the negativity.

McCain is saying that because the campaign is getting attacked from all sides about the negativity.

It gets attacked from all sides no matter what he is doing.

How's the media reacting to the Obama negativity, btw? Haven't heard much lately about Obama discouraging all the 'he'd a dottering old man, about to die any day' stuff being said by his warmup speakers...

I believe JM has found out that the negative / ad hoc stuff on Obama isn't working and he needs to change tack slightly. I wouldn't doubt that their internal polling is saying that the independents he needs to win have been turned off in droves by this stuff.

He (or his handlers) have come up with a new spin...sort of like chocolate meets peanut butter.

How's the media reacting to the Obama negativity, btw? Haven't heard much lately about Obama discouraging all the 'he'd a dottering old man, about to die any day' stuff being said by his warmup speakers...

Never heard that one. I'll have to look into that one.

Link? :lol:

Link? :devil:

Beat me to it. I'd like to see a link too.

Beat me to it. I'd like to see a link too.

Can't find anything about that but I did find this from Michael Reagan:

Although I agree with Cincinnati talk-show host Bill Cunningham on many issues, I have to side with Sen. John McCain in denouncing Cunningham for his behavior while appearing at a McCain rally on the candidate's behalf.

During his introductory remarks to the audience Cunningham repeatedly referred to Sen. Barack Obama as a "hack" and as Barrack Hussein Obama with the emphasis on Hussein, Obama's middle name -- a tactic used by critics who insist that Obama is really a Muslim.

McCain, who was not in the hall when Cunningham spoke, reacted angrily, telling reporters, "I take responsibility and I repudiate what he said. A person came out here before I arrived and made some disparaging remarks about Senators Obama and Clinton and I regret that. In my entire campaign I have treated Sen. Obama and Sen. Clinton with respect. I will continue to do that throughout this campaign."

For his part, Cunningham acted like a spoiled child being punished by his parents, threatening to vote for ultra-liberal Hillary Clinton in response to McCain's scolding.

McCain and his campaign have painted themselves into a nasty corner. His campaign's choice to go negative a while back has drummed up crowds, potentially going out of control if McCain didn't try to tamp it down a bit. Obama had to respond in some way, there was no choice or he'd become Kerry redux.

Obama would NEVER have issued any negative ads or verbal attacks if he hadn't been provoked. Only normal political jabs, like a third term of Bush, he was wrong about Iraq, etc. The media doesn't like Obama's negativity either, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand he was baited into responding in kind.

Now that the negative campaigning has hurt him and the crowds are all fired up, McCain is taking a lot of heat and he has to at least show that he doesn't condone the lies and taunts that his campaign has fueled.

If he stops the negative ads and speeches, he'll lose based on the economy. If he defends Obama and tries to shutdown the attacks, he's viewed as weak and loses.

Linkage

Former Bush adviser Karl Rove said Sunday that Sen. John McCain had gone "one step too far" in some of his recent ads attacking Sen. Barack Obama.

Karl Rove said both candidates are guilty of going too far in their attacks.

Rove has leveled similar criticism against Obama.

"McCain has gone in some of his ads -- similarly gone one step too far," he told Fox News, "and sort of attributing to Obama things that are, you know, beyond the '100 percent truth' test."

Even Rove thinks McCain has gone too far. While he says the same thing about Obama you'd expect that from him but nobody expected an attack on McCain. If Rove thinks you've gone too far as a Republican it's mind blowing.

McCain is a man of ambition, but admits it. Obama is a man of ambition without service but doesn't admit it.

Who's more at fault? Who can honestly say a man without any experience in federal work should be president? His 1st term as a senator doesn't count as Obama himself said because he would be immediately campaigning without working his job.

A man who admits he's power-hungry, or the guy who lied about his first campaign to campaign for a higher office. (Remember his promises in Illinois he wasn't running for Presidency?)

McCain is a man of ambition, but admits it. Obama is a man of ambition without service but doesn't admit it.

Who's more at fault? Who can honestly say a man without any experience in federal work should be president? His 1st term as a senator doesn't count as Obama himself said because he would be immediately campaigning without working his job.

A man who admits he's power-hungry, or the guy who lied about his first campaign to campaign for a higher office. (Remember his promises in Illinois he wasn't running for Presidency?)

What McCain said was just plain stupid. It's implicit in any politician who runs for the Presidency that he or she is outrageously full of ego and ambition. It's impossible not to be and everyone knows it. It's also very possible to be full of yourself, full of ego, and ambition, and yet simultaneously want to serve your country and its citizens. McCain basically said he didn't really care about anything else but himself and his ego. It was a dumb thing to say, and even more stupid if true. Obama, or Romney or Huckabee or Hillary isn't dishonest by NOT saying they have a huge ego and ambition. It's obvious and inherent to the position of being a candidate for the job.

What McCain said was just plain stupid. It's implicit in any politician who run for the Presidency that he or she is outrageously full of ego and ambition. It's impossible not to be and everyone knows it. It's also very possible to be full of yourself, full of ego, and ambition, and yet simultaneously want to serve your country and its citizens. McCain basically said he didn't really care about anything else but himself and his ego. It was a dumb thing to say, and even more stupid if true. Obama, or Romney or Huckabee or Hillary isn't dishonest by NOT saying they have a huge ego and ambition. It's obvious and inherent to the position of being a candidate for the job.

While I agere with some of what you are saying, there is not one Presidential Candidate who puts their country ahead of their own ambition. Not one.

It seems like the normal progression goes from complete, selfish ambition to both personal ambition and looking out for the country when they actually get into office.

While I agere with some of what you are saying, there is not one Presidential Candidate who puts their country ahead of their own ambition. Not one.

It seems like the normal progression goes from complete, selfish ambition to both personal ambition and looking out for the country when they actually get into office.

I pretty much agree with that. I just happen to think that there isn't a progression of things, like from complete selfish ambition to personal ambition plus looking out for the country. I think those things can happen all at the same time. I also think that these twisted egomaniacs, including Obama and McCain, actually believe that they are good for the country, or much better than their opponents and contemporaries, so part of their huge ambition is this (insane) belief they actually are the right and best man or woman for the job and country. Not much different than the ego of a professional athlete who thinks they are the best.

Looking back, I think Ronald Reagan was a man driven by country/duty and not just a desire to be president.