McCain and the Science Vote?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No zoos are great places to take put wild animals after you've taken them out of their wild and natural habitat.

Whoa, did I just sound like a tree hugging liberal there? :thumbdown:

Naw the tree huggers have moved on to: There are no more natural habitats left for animals because we humans have invaded their lands and polluted thier water and air and changed the temperature of their atmosphere.

I kind of agree with that sentiment.

Every time you post meaningless drivel that you got from Rush or Hannity (congrats on expanding your horizons to include Hannity), I reconsider voting for a 3ed party and vote for Obama instead. Hopefully my sanity will prevail, but keep inspiring the Obama types with the absolute worst takes on things. Mind you you, Rush is good at what he does. He even occasionally skewers the dems. Hannity on the other hand is a wannabe with a big audience. What does that say about the audience?

Name a science or math program they financed.

Planetarium's would most-likely fall under science education. People suggesting that it's the same as sticking your head out the window are wrong. Anyone living near an urban area will tell you that you'll never see the night sky the same near a city as it will look out in the country. The planetarium here in Boston is usually packed with students on school outings. Not sure why anyone would be against funding education, especially science education, considering how far behind we are falling as a nation in that subject. Why the hell would we ever want to inspire grade-school inner city kids?

Planetarium's would most-likely fall under science education. People suggesting that it's the same as sticking your head out the window are wrong. Anyone living near an urban area will tell you that you'll never see the night sky the same near a city as it will look out in the country. The planetarium here in Boston is usually packed with students on school outings. Not sure why anyone would be against funding education, especially science education, considering how far behind we are falling as a nation in that subject. Why the hell would we ever want to inspire grade-school inner city kids?

Then bus the urban kids to the country and tell them to look up. Then while they're admiring the stars leave.

I kid, I kid.....

I don't think anyone is arguing against school funding. I think it's an issue of federal money.

Naw the tree huggers have moved on to: There are no more natural habitats left for animals because we humans have invaded their lands and polluted thier water and air and changed the temperature of their atmosphere.

I kind of agree with that sentiment.

Not totally sure about that... since DDT and PCBs were removed wildlife had moved back into the Western MA area. Turkey's roam in packs of 100, Bobcats, coyotes, fishercats, porcupines, bears, moose, brook trout are common place. Hey someone just hit a moose in Westchester last week. And a mountain lion/cougar has been spotted in the Amherst area this summer.

Why would anyone be against federal money being used for education?

In this instance - it is a waste. There are enough wealthy people connected to the Chicago area that raising $3M - if it were such a good cause - would be nothing. Oprah's rainbow-farting unicorn sleeps on $3M every night, with fresh bills laid out for it the next morning.

Between Obama, Oprah, Jordon, all the professional sports teams, and the rest of businesses etc... there is no reason why a city the size of Chicago needs federal money for a science building. It's not a bridge. It's not a highway. It's a planetarium that I have no doubt could have been paid for by the generosity of private citizens.

Not totally sure about that... since DDT and PCBs were removed wildlife had moved back into the Western MA area. Turkey's roam in packs of 100

Although now they're less often seen in Massachussets and more often in the Meadowlands now since Brady went down...

In this instance - it is a waste. There are enough wealthy people connected to the Chicago area that raising $3M - if it were such a good cause - would be nothing. Oprah's rainbow-farting unicorn sleeps on $3M every night, with fresh bills laid out for it the next morning.

Between Obama, Oprah, Jordon, all the professional sports teams, and the rest of businesses etc... there is no reason why a city the size of Chicago needs federal money for a science building. It's not a bridge. It's not a highway. It's a planetarium that I have no doubt could have been paid for by the generosity of private citizens.

I completely disagree. When was the last time a city asked for the money from a charity to fix a bridge or fill potholes? We have to start thinking about education in this country as if it were a vital part of the nation's infrastructure. If we would rather spend $3 million on a bridge than to upgrade the 40-year-old projector in the oldest planetarium in the Western Hemisphere (and a registered Historical Landmark), then this country really needs to take a long hard look at it's priorities. The number of students that would benefit from that $3 million over the next 40 years can't be factored into the cost.

I'm actually surprised that McCain isn't doing better with scientists. He has a pretty good record with regards to science funding, and he's talking about a Manhattan Project type initiative for alternative fuels, both of which scientists of course support. But at least in an admittedly limited sampling of my colleagues, Obama is preferred 10 to 1.

I completely disagree. When was the last time a city asked for the money from a charity to fix a bridge or fill potholes? We have to start thinking about education in this country as if it were a vital part of the nation's infrastructure. If we would rather spend $3 million on a bridge than to upgrade the 40-year-old projector in the oldest planetarium in the Western Hemisphere (and a registered Historical Landmark), then this country really needs to take a long hard look at it's priorities. The number of students that would benefit from that $3 million over the next 40 years can't be factored into the cost.

The education problem in this country is not a money issue.

Why would anyone be against federal money being used for education?

Fine.

But why should it be earmark money instead of the NSF or NASA public education? Why can't we let those organizations tasked with prioritizing and overseeing initiatives do their job, instead of having them do most of it and secretly squirreling away additional funding for things based on political considerations?

If funding the planetarium is worthwhile, let NASA make the case before congress in the course of normal appropriations.

:lol: