Stock Market down 5% again

Since the miraculous save the world 700B bailout was passed on Friday:

Open on Oct 3: 10,483.96

Close on Oct 8: 8,579.19

Loss of 1904.77 or 18.1%

0:)

Just curious. How much of the money has been lent to banks so far?

I'm optimistic that instead of a multiyear market plunge that we were likely going to have, we're just getting it all out of the way in a few weeks. As the bad news comes over the next few weeks with earnings, this drop should have anticipated it all. See, I'm an optimist!

A nice market holiday would also cool some heads. The panic is frenzied at the moment. 500 point sell-off in an hour? Idjits.

Also, Howard will be back from his Honeymoon soon. That will help.

Just curious. How much of the money has been lent to banks so far?

I'm optimistic that instead of a multiyear market plunge that we were likely going to have, we're just getting it all out of the way in a few weeks.

Dude.

5% a day for twenty days means everything is at 0. Zeeeeee Row. You don't make that back over the next few years. All of society crumbles. If this doesn't reverse we have 16 days plus weekends before it is all gone.

I was going to invest a good amount into my SEP IRA tomorrow. So you're saying I should wait? 0:)

Do whatever you want. I'm no financial expert and the 7500 figure was just a rough guess. For all I know it could rebound tomorrow and jump back over 10k as fast as it's fallen. Or it could plummet even more

I wonder if a lot of this buyoff is by people up in years cashing in their 401ks because they think they better do it now or never see them as high again.

I mean why would stock in Honda go down? Does anyone seriously think that company won't grow in the future?

I think thats a very good observation and accurate , it will take many years for the market to recover to its highest levels if ever in our time.

I wonder if a lot of this buyoff is by people up in years cashing in their 401ks because they think they better do it now or never see them as high again.

I mean why would stock in Honda go down? Does anyone seriously think that company won't grow in the future?

"The Markets" tend to take a shorter-term view of corporate success. Honda's down because if people can't get car loans, people don't buy cars. That's probably going to be true over a 2-3 year time frame...which is actually very long-term for the stock market. Most of what you hear about corporations doesn't look out past 3-4 quarters in the future.

There's other reasons, too...maybe it's just that no one's buying (since there's little cash or credit available), so normal selling pressure has nothing to absorb it. Maybe funds have to liquidate because people are readjusting their 401k's away from stocks to money markets (that's highly likely, in fact). Part of it, in Honda's case, is that auto sales are cyclical to begin with - someone who buys a car now isn't likely to again for another 5 years or so, so with the glut of new car sales in the past few years, the entire industry is due for a down-turn. Mostly, though..."the market" has an attention span of a ferret on crystal meth.

"The Markets" tend to take a shorter-term view of corporate success. Honda's down because if people can't get car loans, people don't buy cars. That's probably going to be true over a 2-3 year time frame...which is actually very long-term for the stock market. Most of what you hear about corporations doesn't look out past 3-4 quarters in the future.

There's other reasons, too...maybe it's just that no one's buying (since there's little cash or credit available), so normal selling pressure has nothing to absorb it. Maybe funds have to liquidate because people are readjusting their 401k's away from stocks to money markets (that's highly likely, in fact). Part of it, in Honda's case, is that auto sales are cyclical to begin with - someone who buys a car now isn't likely to again for another 5 years or so, so with the glut of new car sales in the past few years, the entire industry is due for a down-turn. Mostly, though..."the market" has an attention span of a ferret on crystal meth.

I so hope you are right about that 2-3 year time frame. I've run into a bit of debt I want to pay off but was hoping to buy up some cheap stock for long term and Honda was my main target, along with China Mobile. Cell phones in China are a good bet for growth I'd think.