Hochuli's crew is a complete mess tonight

Simon

I'm not trying to give Ed H the business because he hasn't really done anything wrong tonight. But his crew is just butchering a nationally televised prime time match-up.

I don't care about the guy one way or another but he sure is having a rough month.

"The ball started to come out before his knee touched down, but he still had his hand on the ball when his knee made him down by contact....therefore, the call on the field stands and Minnesota retains possession..."

Huh??? That was a fumble clear as day...Hochuli is just seemingly trying too hard right now...

"The ball started to come out before his knee touched down, but he still had his hand on the ball when his knee made him down by contact....therefore, the call on the field stands and Minnesota retains possession..."

Huh??? That was a fumble clear as day...Hochuli is just seemingly trying too hard right now...

Yeah. Trying too hard to explain things & getting himself all messed up in the process.

Looked like a fumble to me, looked like a fumble to you...yet it was apparently only a partial birth fumble.

I read somewhere that he blew another call the week after the SD/Den debacle but didn't see the game he was working.

Is that true or was it just some tosser trying to sell some papers?

Hochuli's crew is a complete mess tonight

Tonight? How about all year. ;)

EXACTLY!!

He's become the laughing stock of NFL refs. Maybe he should spend less time in the gym and more time learning how to call a penalty properly.

I read somewhere that he blew another call the week after the SD/Den debacle but didn't see the game he was working.

True: I can't recall the play, but I remember the announcers talking about it after showing the replay, I just can't recall the play right now though. They said the same as you, ED is having a rough time of it this season.

WTF was that explanation?!?!?

"Although a defensive tackle on the opposite side of the ball went into the neutral zone, that does not excuse the false start by the offensive player, therefore the false start prevails. The fact that he was on the other side of the line of scrimmage makes the false start prevail."

Are you kidding me?!?! Just call a freaking false start...

"Although a defensive tackle on the opposite side of the ball went into the neutral zone, that does not excuse the false start by the offensive player, therefore the false start prevails. The fact that he was on the other side of the line of scrimmage makes the false start prevail."

It sounded like a guy whose every call is being scrutinized, which they are. I wonder if he's still the referee after this season?

Actually, I like the explanations.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j8gyIFA...7a6VOwD93FVFM80

Sep 28, 2008

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Referee Ed Hochuli was at the center of another questionable call Sunday, flagging Julius Peppers for a roughing-the-passer penalty that wiped out Carolina's interception return for a touchdown in the first quarter against Atlanta.

After Matt Ryan's pass was intercepted by Richard Marshall, Hochuli threw a flag and announced Peppers made a helmet-to-helmet hit on Ryan. It erased the touchdown and gave the Falcons a first down on a drive that ended with a punt.

Replays showed Peppers made contact as Ryan released the ball, and appeared to hit him first with his shoulder.

Last week, a Carolina defender (maybe Peppers?) hit Matt Ryan as he threw...Ryan was intercepted and it was returned for a TD...But Hochuli threw the flag and called a helmet-to-helmet hit on Carolina.

Slo mo showed that it wasn't necessarily helmet-to-helmet, but it was REAL CLOSE. From Hochuli's view (in position, behind the QB) he probably saw Ryan's head fly back and made the call. I don't think you could call it a "blown call," because even the slowest of slow motion replays looked to be VERY close to an illegal hit. And with the league mandates from Goodell, you know refs would rather be wrong protecting QB's rather than be wrong letting illegal hits go.

Reggie Bush getting his head twisted and getting dragged to the ground by his facemask last night, while the ball was punched out in the process, was a horrible missed call. It was probably the linesman on that side who missed it (or the ump) but Hochuli was certainly in the neighborhood. Not sure how nobody saw that one.

I have a question:

When Winfield blitzed and took the ball away from Brees he clearly possessed it while on top of Brees. He proceeded to get up and ran an extra 10-15 yards before he was tackled.

Why was he not down by contact when he was on top of Brees? Was a part of the body not touching the ground?