First Draft Tek Draft

Astrobot

Howdy Dean,

Draft Tek will be updating the player list for next weeks simulation, the current list is getting outdated - says 9/15 but it was more like Labor Day weekend. We do not develop our own Big Board, instead we use an averaging based on several sources. At this time of the year, most scouting services keep the seniors and juniors on separate lists.

But to do a plausible mock draft you need to take a shot at working in the likely juniors. At this time of year, we rely pretty heavily on NFLDraftScout.com, although they too keep separate lists.

The thinking is that in 2009, very few of the top juniors will be returning to college. The NFL will be renegotiating the labor agreement to ensure that those top picks do not get outrageous salaries - without ever having played.

-Draft Tek Guy

Juniors haven't been added to the Player List yet.

He'd make a nice TE. Is he the one from Wisconsin? Evans is a Badger, and he turned out all right.

Astro

There are definetly juniors on the list. Tim Tebow is a junior, and so is Percy Harvin and Brandon Spikes. That's three from the Gators alone. I'm sure there are more.

I just checked with Warren. There ARE juniors and even a few sophomores on the Player List on our Big Board here:

http://www.drafttek.com/2009players.html

I've told him that Beckum and Cody are missing. If you know of other players missing, let me know. We'll soon have another discussion about Positional Priorities. For now, we have TE as a high priority, DE OC and OLB right up there. I've had a reader from DraftTek say that Safety ought to be up there too--what do you think?

Astro

Where would you expect Cody to go if he declares?

I'm no Astrobot, but I'm a huge Bama fan and have followed Cody's recruitment from juco.

From all that is being said, I really don't expect him to declare this year. I think he's really enjoying the mystique that he has on campus. He's seriously on the verge of being a legend, because of his size. But right now, I'd say he's a 1st rounder for any team that is looking for a Ted Washington-like player...namely running a 3-4. He's big, agile, and will always be double-teamed. But with another year under the demands of Saban's program, he really has the potential to be a top 10 pick. His main purpose is to give the LB's chances to make plays, and he does a great job at it.

Howdy Dean,

Draft Tek will be updating the player list for next weeks simulation, the current list is getting outdated - says 9/15 but it was more like Labor Day weekend. We do not develop our own Big Board, instead we use an averaging based on several sources. At this time of the year, most scouting services keep the seniors and juniors on separate lists.

But to do a plausible mock draft you need to take a shot at working in the likely juniors. At this time of year, we rely pretty heavily on NFLDraftScout.com, although they too keep separate lists.

The thinking is that in 2009, very few of the top juniors will be returning to college. The NFL will be renegotiating the labor agreement to ensure that those top picks do not get outrageous salaries - without ever having played.

-Draft Tek Guy

Hey War', what would you like wallers to do if they know of a player that should be on the Big Board, since we use an averaging?

I'm no Astrobot, but I'm a huge Bama fan and have followed Cody's recruitment from juco.

From all that is being said, I really don't expect him to declare this year. I think he's really enjoying the mystique that he has on campus. He's seriously on the verge of being a legend, because of his size. But right now, I'd say he's a 1st rounder for any team that is looking for a Ted Washington-like player...namely running a 3-4. He's big, agile, and will always be double-teamed. But with another year under the demands of Saban's program, he really has the potential to be a top 10 pick. His main purpose is to give the LB's chances to make plays, and he does a great job at it.

Thanks! :ph34r: That is exactly what I saw while watching this kid. The thing is as a Bills Fan, Mike Williams spooked me for years to come about a kid being that big in college. Still, he seems to push back the pocket at will.

Speaking of Bama, what about this kid? He missed time due to injury but he is all over the field. At 278, he would probably be the biggest DE on the field. Finally, that "true freshman" running back is going to be something special imo. Funny, but his style seems to be a mixture of Lynch and Travis Henry. Lets hope that his brain doesn't resemble that of Travis.

They are a great surprise team, and I hope they win the national title.

My friend Wayne down here in Tennessee is a huge Bama fan. He's lovin life right now and on a side note yes Cody would look awesome next to Stroud with Willams and Johnson as the 2nd wave and McCargo working at BurgerKing. :ph34r:

Or, Cody might be well served to be a part of the "2nd wave" while he is young. This would keep a rotation of big guys to punish opposing blockers and push the pocket while he learns the pro game.

Speaking of Bama, what about this kid? He missed time due to injury but he is all over the field. At 278, he would probably be the biggest DE on the field. Finally, that "true freshman" running back is going to be something special imo. Funny, but his style seems to be a mixture of Lynch and Travis Henry. Lets hope that his brain doesn't resemble that of Travis.

They are a great surprise team, and I hope they win the national title.

Bobby Greenwood won't be drafted. He's a hardworker, but has never really made an impact until last week against Kentucky (SEC D-Lineman of the week).

The freshman back, Mark Ingram, is really good. He reminds me of a Maurice Jones-Drew, while others say he resembles our good friend, Emmitt Smith.

I could list about 10 more players who will be NFL ready in the draft a few years from now (specifically Soph. LB Rolando McClain - NFL Scout on McClain), because of the recruiting class that was brought in last year. But rather than being a "homer", here's the best for this year:

Jr. Andre Smith - T

Sr. Antoine Caldwell - C/G

Jr. Terrance Cody - NT

Sr. Rashad Johnson - S

Bobby Greenwood won't be drafted. He's a hardworker, but has never really made an impact until last week against Kentucky (SEC D-Lineman of the week).

The freshman back, Mark Ingram, is really good. He reminds me of a Maurice Jones-Drew, while others say he resembles our good friend, Emmitt Smith.

I could list about 10 more players who will be NFL ready in the draft a few years from now (specifically Soph. LB Rolando McClain - NFL Scout on McClain), because of the recruiting class that was brought in last year. But rather than being a "homer", here's the best for this year:

Jr. Andre Smith - T

Sr. Antoine Caldwell - C/G

Jr. Terrance Cody - NT

Sr. Rashad Johnson - S

What about Arenas? Also that freshman LB Hightower is gonna be something special as well.

What about Arenas? Also that freshman LB Hightower is gonna be something special as well.

Javier Arenas (cousin of Gilbert) is obviously the most electrifying player Bama has. If you ask me, he and Florida's Brandon James are the best punt returners in the country. You put either of them in open space and they're gonna make something happen. I would say that Arenas is on the verge of being and All-SEC cornerback, but isn't quite there. Since he's a junior who definitely won't enter the draft this year, his stock could go up. Maybe he could turn out like McKelvin, if the scouts can get over his height issue. OR he could be drafted to be a Hester-type player.

Hightower is a true freshman LB in a senior's body. The media guide has him at 6'4" 250 lbs, which is crazy for an agile LB! I don't think he'll have his true "coming out party" until late next year. But there's no doubt the potential is there.

Javier Arenas (cousin of Gilbert) is obviously the most electrifying player Bama has. If you ask me, he and Florida's Brandon James are the best punt returners in the country. You put either of them in open space and they're gonna make something happen. I would say that Arenas is on the verge of being and All-SEC cornerback, but isn't quite there. Since he's a junior who definitely won't enter the draft this year, his stock could go up. Maybe he could turn out like McKelvin, if the scouts can get over his height issue. OR he could be drafted to be a Hester-type player.

Hightower is a true freshman LB in a senior's body. The media guide has him at 6'4" 250 lbs, which is crazy for an agile LB! I don't think he'll have his true "coming out party" until late next year. But there's no doubt the potential is there.

Agreed! I watc hevery game being here in the dirty south and I really do believe that with a good QB Alabama will be National Champs again. I just don't have any faith in John Parker Wilson.

But Ingram is going to be a stud RB no doubt about it!