Make-Believe Maverick

this is some scary schitt indeed

Indeed, many leading Republicans who once admired McCain see his recent contortions to appease the GOP base as the undoing of a maverick. "John McCain's ambition overrode his basic character," says Rita Hauser, who served on the President's Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board from 2001 to 2004. But the truth of the matter is that ambition is John McCain's basic character. Seen in the sweep of his seven-decade personal history, his pandering to the right is consistent with the only constant in his life: doing what's best for himself. To put the matter squarely: John McCain is his own special interest.

propaganda:

http://library.thinkquest.org/C0111500/proptech.htm

Glittering Generalities:

Glittering generalities was one of the seven main propaganda techniques identified by the Institute for Propaganda Analysis in 1938. It also occurs very often in politics and political propaganda. Glittering generalities are words that have different positive meaning for individual subjects, but are linked to highly valued concepts. When these words are used, they demand approval without thinking, simply because such an important concept is involved. For example, when a person is asked to do something in "defense of democracy" they are more likely to agree. The concept of democracy has a positive connotation to them because it is linked to a concept that they value. Words often used as glittering generalities are honor, glory, love of country, and especially in the United States, freedom. When coming across with glittering generalities, we should especially consider the merits of the idea itself when separated from specific words.

I wouldn't trust anyone with the ambition to be President to run the country.

I hear you on that...

I have been an Obama supporter for a while now. I was thinking (after reading about John McCain's life and the choices he made) that I would change my mind in an instant if similar things were alleged about Obama. I say alleged because undoubtedly some of the things Dickinson wrote are wrong or taken out of context, but the majority of it seems to be well researched and supported by witnesses.

Anyone see Non Sequitur today (10/6)? Pretty funny. Storefront with "Incumbents" labeled on the window and a sandwich sign outside saying "Want Change, Vote for Us!" ... and a couple of citizens saying something like "This is just how stupid they think we are"...

Loses something in the translation, maybe it's in your local paper or on Wiley's site...