Robert Royal

Simon

I agree. My point was that saying Royal is good at his primary task doesn't necessarily mean you're saying he's a good player. The only reason why Royal's 'primary job' is not to make plays in the passing game is because he's incapable of consistently making plays in the passing game.

He's not consistent but he does have his moments once in awhile. Against Seattle he was 6 for 52 and one TD. IIRC, one those catches was just short of goal line and a yard more would have been a TD.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but he is currently the best blocker on the Bills entire team.

And that is his primary job.

Really? I always wondered if you were a coach and it was your job to define the strengths and weaknesses of this team.

Royal sucks, has always sucked and will continue to suck.

I'm also pretty sure Simon that a TE is supposed to make a few plays in the field every now and then.

I will never forgive Royal for his celebratory high stepping right out of the end zone against Tenny two years ago, he cost the Bills a playoff run with his BS antics. He should have been released at seasons end and was not.

He's not consistent but he does have his moments once in awhile. Against Seattle he was 6 for 52 and one TD. IIRC, one those catches was just short of goal line and a yard more would have been a TD.

Right. But compared to all the other #1 TEs in the league, he ranks as a poor reciever. Simon is correct in that his primary task is to block, but thats probably caused by his limited game.

Listen, I hated the fumble as much as the next guy, but did you people see how his body got torqued? He got flung over, or he flung himself (is that legal?) over to avoid tearing up his knees. I guess we gotta have a scapegoat (5 points for the first person who can explain the etymology of that word), but, look elsewhere...

Listen, I hated the fumble as much as the next guy, but did you people see how his body got torqued? He got flung over, or he flung himself (is that legal?) over to avoid tearing up his knees. I guess we gotta have a scapegoat (5 points for the first person who can explain the etymology of that word), but, look elsewhere...

I will not make a Testament to my Oldness. :thumbsup:

Royal would be a fine #2 tight end. He does block well and does give a solid effort. However, he should not be the #1 receiving tight end on any team. He also is good for 1-2 absolutely boneheaded plays each and every game. I'll say it again: why this team hasn't found it necessary to invest in a dynamic receiving tight end is a complete mystery to me. It's holding the entire offense back.

Protect the football

There was no reason for him to have the ball out in the open look that body being flung around or not bring it in close. That ruined any chance of a comeback and made us one demensional on offense because we had to pass every play after that, not good

Protect the football

There was no reason for him to have the ball out in the open look that body being flung around or not bring it in close. That ruined any chance of a comeback and made us one demensional on offense because we had to pass every play after that, not good

IMO look elsewhere, plenty of blame to be laid, but Royal gets only a smidgen.

Um ... fumbles do actually happen in the NFL, and they happen to every player. It's part of the game, actually. By my count, he has three fumbles in 2.3 seasons with the Bills. That's not a horrible statistic. In fact, it's probably par for the course. He has as many fumbles as Lee Evans this year, incidentally ...

Um ... fumbles do actually happen in the NFL, and they happen to every player. It's part of the game, actually. By my count, he has three fumbles in 2.3 seasons with the Bills. That's not a horrible statistic. In fact, it's probably par for the course. He has as many fumbles as Lee Evans this year, incidentally ...

You do realize that the ball is rarely in his hands. 3 fumbles is a lot actually. Also, defending that fumble is really tough to do, it cost us any chance of a comeback and it displayed absolutely no regard for ball control.

Right. But compared to all the other #1 TEs in the league, he ranks as a poor reciever. Simon is correct in that his primary task is to block, but thats probably caused by his limited game.

What is most frustrating about Royal imo is the he looks like a great TE. Earlier this year, he made some great plays. Hey, he really is a good blocker, and I think that he runs nice patterns, but his hands are very shaky.

The guy drops passes, and bobbles many of the ones he does catch. Early this year, I had hopes that he might correct this problem, but I was kidding myself. I mean he is 30 years old.

The last good TE we had in Buffalo was Pete Metz, and this needs to change.

Really? You don't think Walker has played well? Thats kind of a bummer. ;)

I thought he was wonderful the first few weeks; so good that I started a thread just to give him props for his outstanding hustle.

But he's had some real issues the last couple games and at times it's been troublesome enough to wonder which guy we can expect to see as the season progresses. I desperately want to see the guy who was getting 20 yards upfield to throw blocks and running all over the field to get into every play he could. But I'm afraid we're going to see too much of the guy who can't get that mass moving anywhere and is getting beat off the snap waaayyy too often.

If Royal was not a great receiving threat but could block his ass off, I'd be happy with him being on the field. The problem is, its not that he isn't a factor in the passing game, its the fact that he hurts our team with stupid boneheaded plays. He has hurt our team in games every single year he's been here, and IMO, there is no place for that. Not having skills in one area is one thing, but being a complete dumbass and hurting our team the way he has is quite another.

Robert Royal is arguably the worst offensive talent to ever receive status as a starter for more than one season.

After he stepped out of bounds I lost all faith in him. I always want to see him succeed, and then he goes and fumbles or something. He needs to be cut.

Thank you for rekindling the memory of that Tennessee game. ;)