Blitzing a shotgun

JPicc2114

I noticed that the majority of Zona's pass plays were run out of a shotgun. I thought to myself during the game that blitzing would be the best thing to do to stop the pass. However, if you blitz a shotgun is it worth it because, usually the QB has enough time to hit a quick out because of the distance between him and the center.

My question is, how do you stop a spread offense basically run out of shotgun?

I know college teams have yet to figure it out.. any thoughts?

Fewell is usually a master at disguising coverages and blitzes, but today he had no answers...

I would have liked to have seen more safety, corner and multiple LB blitzes to dial up some heat on Warner. You do have more time in the shotgun, but at the same time, bringing pressure out of multiple looks and formations can be confusing. Bills did very little of this, playing what looked like a base cover-2 most of the day...

Very confused as to why he kept doing the same thing even when it wasn't working at all. The results couldn't have been any worse by trying something else, but he appeared too afraid of leaving the CB's on an island...

I thought about this, too. I felt like the defense pretty much can't win. Your two options are to either blitz, giving up big plays because there's no way you can reach the QB in time and cover the WRs, or you can sit back and try to just cover, and we all know that never works. Then again, the Giants seemed to figure it out against the Pats last year. At least we know its possible.

I thought about this, too. I felt like the defense pretty much can't win. Your two options are to either blitz, giving up big plays because there's no way you can reach the QB in time and cover the WRs, or you can sit back and try to just cover, and we all know that never works. Then again, the Giants seemed to figure it out against the Pats last year. At least we know its possible.

Maybe a few DEs that could actually get to the QB would help then we wouldn't have to sell out with blitzes. Building a winner takes an o-line and a d-line that can win in the trenches and right now our DEs are well below average for this league and we got pushed around. I think the DE problem is pretty easy to spot due to the fact that Stroud is taking on multiple blockers and we still have no rush from the edge. This team is good but we are a pass rushing DE away from really becoming a dynamic defense.

The way I see it....

What you have to do is BLITZ AND COVER SHORT. Of course if you blitz and then have your cover guys play deep, they can quick hit the middle of the field(as we all saw today). If you blitz and cover short, your taking the risk that they wont hit a bomb. What are the odds of warner stepping into a blitz and hitting a deep route? Slim to none. Honestly, if theyre trying to beat a blitz, they may not even have anyone running deep, basically making our deep safety coverage irrelevant.

Just look at when we blitzed on 3rd and 13 or whatever it was. If we had blitzed then covered short, we most likely would have tackled him, instead of having nobody near him.

On a side note, did anyone watch Pittsburgh play Jacksonville? Jacksonville needed a TD drive to come back and win, but they couldn't get anything together, because Garrard was getting rushed wayyyy too much and also didn't have anyone short open to bail him out. DING DING DING.

I really can't tell if Fewell notices this or not. I get the feeling he does, but he loses confidence in all backups, or against good teams. Hence us having us resort to a last-year style defense when playing without mcgee, also while playing against the best passing team we've played yet. Basically, I think he gets thinking, "Oh sh--, I need Jabari and Leo to cover Fitz and whoever, and since that will never happen, I'll have them play 8 yds off the ball and have paul and kawika and youboty help them cover, instead of using them to blitz warner."

The problem here is that although he's fundamentally correct, warner is too damn good to just let him do what he wants all afternoon. The only way to beat him is to trust Jabari and Leodis and see what happens when you have Paul and Kawika in Kurt's face.

The way I see it, until Dick and Perry figure this out, we're in for a long year when we play good passing teams.

As the giants showed, you dont beat a good team by watching them, you beat a good team by attacking them. So far, from what I've seen, the bills watch the good teams too much, and the only times it pays off is when Romo throws the ball directly to george wilson for tds.

The way I see it....

What you have to do is BLITZ AND COVER SHORT. Of course if you blitz and then have your cover guys play deep, they can quick hit the middle of the field(as we all saw today). If you blitz and cover short, your taking the risk that they wont hit a bomb. What are the odds of warner stepping into a blitz and hitting a deep route? Slim to none. Honestly, if theyre trying to beat a blitz, they may not even have anyone running deep, basically making our deep safety coverage irrelevant.

Just look at when we blitzed on 3rd and 13 or whatever it was. If we had blitzed then covered short, we most likely would have tackled him, instead of having nobody near him.

On a side note, did anyone watch Pittsburgh play Jacksonville? Jacksonville needed a TD drive to come back and win, but they couldn't get anything together, because Garrard was getting rushed wayyyy too much and also didn't have anyone short open to bail him out. DING DING DING.

I really can't tell if Fewell notices this or not. I get the feeling he does, but he loses confidence in all backups, or against good teams. Hence us having us resort to a last-year style defense when playing without mcgee, also while playing against the best passing team we've played yet. Basically, I think he gets thinking, "Oh sh--, I need Jabari and Leo to cover Fitz and whoever, and since that will never happen, I'll have them play 8 yds off the ball and have paul and kawika and youboty help them cover, instead of using them to blitz warner."

The problem here is that although he's fundamentally correct, warner is too damn good to just let him do what he wants all afternoon. The only way to beat him is to trust Jabari and Leodis and see what happens when you have Paul and Kawika in Kurt's face.

The way I see it, until Dick and Perry figure this out, we're in for a long year when we play good passing teams.

As the giants showed, you dont beat a good team by watching them, you beat a good team by attacking them. So far, from what I've seen, the bills watch the good teams too much, and the only times it pays off is when Romo throws the ball directly to george wilson for tds.

I believe that Crowell's absence is a bigger loss than people think.

Fewell is usually a master at disguising coverages and blitzes, but today he had no answers...

I would have liked to have seen more safety, corner and multiple LB blitzes to dial up some heat on Warner. You do have more time in the shotgun, but at the same time, bringing pressure out of multiple looks and formations can be confusing. Bills did very little of this, playing what looked like a base cover-2 most of the day...

Very confused as to why he kept doing the same thing even when it wasn't working at all. The results couldn't have been any worse by trying something else, but he appeared too afraid of leaving the CB's on an island...

I saw that, too. Fewell's bad game planning was evident, as was Shonert's....and April's.....the whole bunch. On Defense, though, back to the point, what I was wanting to see was more of the no down linemen stances, I forget what that's being called, where they all stand and move side to side a yard behind the LOS and completely disguise their plans. Fewell hasn't had his guys do that since Week 2, though, and I wish he would.

Giants DEs vs ours??? There is not much to figure out there.--We should have blitzed the hell out of them all day yesterday---because we were not stopping them at all anyway. We had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Maybe a few DEs that could actually get to the QB would help then we wouldn't have to sell out with blitzes. Building a winner takes an o-line and a d-line that can win in the trenches and right now our DEs are well below average for this league and we got pushed around. I think the DE problem is pretty easy to spot due to the fact that Stroud is taking on multiple blockers and we still have no rush from the edge. This team is good but we are a pass rushing DE away from really becoming a dynamic defense.

Probably one of the smartest posts I've seen since the loss yesterday.

Look, I can't stand JP Losman, but he didn't start making really boneheaded plays until the game was pretty much out of reach. It got out of reach because the Bills got a taste of a true NFL offense and had no answers for it. So, my disklike for JP aside, he is not the reason the Bills lost this game.

When we picked up Marcus Stroud, we assumed that our pass rush would improve. What's going on here is not his fault, either. He's taking on his men, taking on double teams. The problem we have is that Schobel and Kelsay just aren't good enough. If Schobel can't have a field day with Mike freaking Gandy...well, what does that say about him? Back in the days when we actually had a Pat Williams or a Ted Washington in the middle, we also had the Phil Hansens to beat their one on one man. I'm not even talking about Bruce Smith. You don't need a guy like him when you have a beast in the middle like that. You just need a consistent guy on the outside that can beat his man. Schobel and Kelsay just can't get it done. (i.e...we have too much money wrapped up in our DEs)

Someone else here said something I thought was pretty smart, concerning the fact that you got the feeling that the Bills were pretty much damned if you do and damned if you don't in that game as far as making the decision to blitz or not blitz. They (the Cardinals) were just as effective with quick hitters as they were with normal passes. I will say this, and I said it last year when they were doing the same thing against Tom Brady and the Patriots*. If they are gonna beat you anyway, why not at least bring some heat? Make the quarterback feel some pain. You never know, especially in the case of Kurt Warner, who tends to get a bit happy footed out there when you start knocking him around.

As far as the loss is concerned, yeah it was a straight massacre. They happen. Hell, if you're a Bills fan, we have enough heartbreak losses to go off of and remember forever. Wide right, Music City Miracle to name a couple. But, there were times in the glory days of Bills football that those teams would go out and drop a turd on the road. You don't remember those games, do you? Hell, I have to think real hard myself, and I've been watching every game the Bills played since 1994, when I got my first Direct TV dish, and before then I listened to most on the radio or caught them on TV whenever they were on. I'm not comparing these Bills to those Bills, but I am saying that games like this just happen.

There is a true test two weeks from now that will begin to tell the Bills' saga as history will remember this particular team. Call me crazy, but I think the Bills are going to have a statement game against the Bolts after the bye. I've always hated the adage that you learn from a loss, but this might be one of those times. The Bills just found out that they aren't invincible. Let's see how they respond.