The rescue, nee bail out plan, revision 2

There shouldn't be a bailout, there is no need for it. Buy the bad credit AT COST. There should be a price for screwing up, there is for everyone else.

Huh? The Treasury will be buying this stuff for pennies on the dollar. What do you mean by 'cost?' Surely, not the book value?

How much do you want to bet that most of these were added by the majority party?

Sigh...

"Rep. Eric Cantor (Va.), a top GOP vote counter, said the Senate's decision to add a package of tax breaks worth $108 billion next year for businesses and families was attracting Republican votes."

Sigh 2...

"And he voted for it anyway..."

Wrong, the proposal was an outline of 3 or 4 pages wrong. Referencing all the previous law and changes that outline causes creates at least 3-400 pages. This is a B.S. statement.

The rest I agree with but frame it right.

You got something right for a change. Well done. The original bill was 106 pages.

P.S. That $49 million is for AK fisherman, wonder how Palin feels about the pork for her state? but it could benefit Palin's husband... Conflict of interest, I wonder.

I'm just questioning why everyone's calling some of these tax-breaks for American companies 'pork'?

'Pork' in the common parlance is direct Congressional spending for various and sundry projects of dubious nature. I haven't read in breadth or depth all of what's contained in the bill and frankly, I don't want to. But since all sources are describing this $110M add-in as "tax breaks," I'm not having that hard a time over it. Tax breaks are something that actually help businesses grow. For all of you here on PPP who regularly ride on Congress' breasts for TAXES=BAD, I can't say I'm surprised that now some people have gotten tax breaks, you're vocal against them b/c it might not be a break that you personally benefit from. Screw Joe who owns the wool company and now might not have to lay off workers, huh? :wallbash:

Now, if you want to call these items the grease that allowed the real $700B pork package to fit through the door (getting some 'yes' votes from Repubs, who usually only say they want to cut taxes...), well, you can go ahead. I'm not contesting that point.

These tax cuts also seem to be targeted to American production companies. I've been saying on these forums for a long time that it portended of bad things that we don't really produce tangible things in America anymore, our economy is basically just a circle-jerk of service, American Idol wannabes, and retail (selling other countries wares on credit adding up to a truly staggering trade deficit) jobs along with some financial jobs (which other countries were increasingly learning and doing themselves rather than giving their money to America to control and hoping for some return). So the financial sector took a hit. Wow. Imagine that. Didn't see that one coming! Financial sectors hitting the skids and now Congress thinks it's a good time to throw a bone to some production industries where we might be able to produce and sell some crap to other countries. Wool industry. Toy arrows (I don't get this, but, what the hell do I know about their business?), Alaska fisheries (big market in Asia for seafood), etc.

Who could've guessed this would happen?

Ah-nold Has His Hand Out to Hank: Brother, Can You Spare $7B?

Same deal with all the crap mail we get. Gave to the USO one time b/c I thought they did a good service for our troops... and ever since, we get 1000 times the sh-- from Arbor Day, Doctors Without Borders, ACLU, Paralyzed Veterans of America, Disabled Veterans of America, MDA, The Second Amendment Foundation, World Wildlife Fund, Sierra Club, the Christian children fund that on teevee all the time, Make-a-Wish, Salvation Army.... this could probably go on ad nauseum if I remembered more of the groups. (I will never give money to any of these f--kers again.)

Point is, give money to one, and then EVERYONE comes looking for a dollar b/c it's like having the word 'SUCKER' in neon lights above your head.