The official Biden/Palin debate thread

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On either side. I don't know what worries me more, that these two people were bozos, or that they seemed to be less 'bozoish" than their running mates. :sick:

I'll give them BOTH credit for one thing, though: this felt like an actual, honest-to-God debate, not the typical "I'll ask a question, you each give a canned response, then you each give a canned rebuttal, then I'll ask the next question." As annoying as it was, their willingness to talk about what they wanted and not where Ifill directed them contributed to that. You don't often see honest back-and-forth between candidates in a debate. I felt like I was watching a decent middleweight fight.

A Special Olympics middleweight fight, maybe...but a middleweight fight nonetheless.

neither totally blew it as many had suspected. In the past folks would talk about how they wish that the VP candidates would be running for president given the choices we had however this time around I am nore wishing I had a real thrid part choice. One of the talking heads on CNN said it well " these guys are lucky there isnt a Ross Perot lurking around" I am thinking we could end up with neither of the candidates getting the 270.

I'm still scratching my head over this one:

Palin:

No, no. Of course, we know what a vice president does. And that's not only to preside over the Senate and will take that position very seriously also. I'm thankful the Constitution would allow a bit more authority given to the vice president if that vice president so chose to exert it in working with the Senate and making sure that we are supportive of the president's policies and making sure too that our president understands what our strengths are. John McCain and I have had good conversations about where I would lead with his agenda. That is energy independence in America and reform of government over all, and then working with families of children with special needs. That's near and dear to my heart also. In those arenas, John McCain has already tapped me and said, that's where I want you, I want you to lead. I said, I can't wait to get and there go to work with you.

Did I miss an amendment or something?

Ridiculous answer (and when Biden rebutted with a reference to the Constitution, I half expected her to say "What's that?") At the same time...how the hell are you supposed to answer that question? "I'm just gonna sit around and wait for the president to kick."?

Clearly, she wasn't prepped for that question. Given she openly wondered what the VP actually does, whether she was joking - as she claims and I doubt - or not, it was a pretty obvious question, and a pretty glaring omission in her preparation.

I was just going through the debate again and Sarahs major gaffe may have been " The toxic problem on MAIN street is now moving to Wall Street" Sounds like she got the sound bite canned response wrong.

Is that what she said? I could have sworn I heard the reverse.

The fact that I even question my own recollection shows what I think of her speaking abilities: her command of the spoken language is atrocious. I know deaf mutes with better speaking ability. She's either so smart that her brain moves faster than her mouth can (possible, but unlikely), or she's functionally illiterate. She had one answer where she strung together what seemed to be thirty random participles and prepositions, and I turned to my wife and asked "What the !@#$ did she just say?"

The fact that I even question my own recollection shows what I think of her speaking abilities: her command of the spoken language is atrocious. I know deaf mutes with better speaking ability. She's either so smart that her brain moves faster than her mouth can (possible, but unlikely), or she's functionally illiterate. She had one answer where she strung together what seemed to be thirty random participles and prepositions, and I turned to my wife and asked "What the !@#$ did she just say?"

The truth of Palin comes out!

Is that what she said? I could have sworn I heard the reverse.

I had to replay it a few times since we thought thats what she said live so had to go back and listen again. to make sure we heard it the way she said it. I was going to go back in the buffer and transcribe the exact quote but I forgot I switched over to the Cubs game and this is more painful than the debates have been.

EDIT: Here is the exact quote " It is a crisis. It's a toxic mess, really, on Main Street that's affecting Wall Street. And now we have to be ever vigilant and also making sure that credit markets don't seize up. That's where the Main Streeters like me, that's where we would really feel the effects."

Is Ken Crippen running again this year?

Just a theory, but I think he's too busy munching on burnt umbers and turquoise blues.

Ever wonder about one's less frequent posting on this forum as the other started kicking it up a notch, especially after Ken got some lip about the feasibility of his runs (vice running for state office) and how he'd possibly expect to be an effective commander-in-chief? Add in that this particular poster, despite all the stalking (for awhile, he posted the same fill-in-the-blank response to every one of my posts, and after this I fully expect it to start again) and crap he pulls, goes un-moderated. Wonder why.

You know how you can accurately gauge the results of the debate? Watch MSNBC and watch Brian Williams say the equivalent of "Well, the VP debate means nothing, anyway, and this really means absolutely nothing. No, I know how we've been telling you this is brutally important. But it's really not, anymore. Even though we've spent the past week telling you how 'must see' it's going to be, we were wrong."

Then they roll out Geraldine Ferraro. :sick: :sick: :sick:

Hey Geraldine, quick question: did you get your botox the same place as Joe Biden because you both have that surprised look on your face, and every time the camera pointed at you, I made a donation to the Heath Ledger is Dead Fund.

I actually started to feel bad for Palin. She obviously was filled with talking points, and no matter what the question was, she would just parrot back what her handlers told her, regardless that it didn't answer the question. She's clearly not ready to think on her feet on the multitude of issues. McCain should do the honorable thing and let her withdraw with dignity. Appoint another VP candidate like Ridge or Liebermann who we could at least feel comfortable that they have a grasp of the details of the issues facing a president. I just can't imagine her being president if something happened to McCain.

Give it up, PastaJoeBiden - it's much more likely that The Plagiarist will fake another brain aneurysm to make room for Hillary, than Palin being replaced on the McCain ticket.

BTW, there were several moments when moderator Gwen Ifill responded that neither of them answered the question posed and, given that Ms. Palin was thrust onto the national scene about 4 weeks ago and tonite had to go up against a consummate smooth-talkin' bullschitter that's been in the US Senate for 35 years, I thought she did quite well - and will only get better. Sure she could have kicked Biden's ass all over the stage, but she did her job and did it well.

While they both fulfilled their purpose, to attack the top of the opposition's ticket and do no harm thru stupid gaffes, the biggest gaffe of the evening belongs, as expected, to Joe Biden - calling Dick Cheney 'the most dangerous Vice President in history'.

(Surely, that was Aaron Burr.)

Bye bye 'bama. Sarah Palin's a VPILF :sick:

BTW, there were several moments when moderator Gwen Ifill responded that neither of them answered the question posed and, given that Ms. Palin was thrust onto the national scene about 4 weeks ago and tonite had to go up against a consummate smooth-talkin' bullschitter that's been in the US Senate for 35 years, I thought she did quite well - and will only get better. Sure she could have kicked Biden's ass all over the stage, but she did her job and did it well.

Can we just agree that they both sucked, and there is no winner (the terrorists? cuz we're going to get a moron VP).

The part I bolded: Isn't that all of what she'll be doing if elected? That is not a viable excuse.

I'm somewhat (read: extremely) skeptical on your kicking Biden's ass all over the stage claim.

I'm somewhat (read: extremely) skeptical on your kicking Biden's ass all over the stage claim.

That's truly unfortunate.

Biden's been on the Senate floor for 35 years, presided over the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings, ran for President twice, and has tons upon tons upon tons of experience on the 'Big Stage' in front of the national media. Ms. Palin was thrust into this position 4 weeks ago.

Tonite we probably saw Joe at his best, and anyone - ANYONE - well-prepared and with a mere modicum of debating skills & experience, coulda kicked Joe's ass tonite. Given how low the expectations, our future VPILF pretty much did just that.

Joe just got his ass kicked by a girl.

That's truly unfortunate.

Biden's been on the Senate floor for 35 years, presided over the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings, ran for President twice, and has tons upon tons upon tons of experience on the 'Big Stage' in front of the national media. Ms. Palin was thrust into this position 4 weeks ago.

Tonite we probably saw Joe at his best, and anyone - ANYONE - well-prepared and with a mere modicum of debating skills & experience, coulda kicked Joe's ass tonite. Given how low the expectations, our future VPILF pretty much did just that.

Joe just got his ass kicked by a girl.

I fail to see how he got his ass kicked, unless of course they were running to be governor of Alaska. Which of course, I think was intending to do. Palin did well. She avoided giving an answer with really any direct substance. Everything was canned from the campaign talking points. It's sad that people are so excited that she exceeded really low expectations.

Oh, and I do love how she keeps blasting Joe for being in office for so long. Does she forget who she's running with? And enough with the freakin' winking. God damn it's annoying and condescending and that's coming from a "Joe Six Pack" type of person. Something she is not.