McCain giving up in Michigan?

They are moving staff to Virginia

Virginians can expect to see and hear more from the McCain-Palin campaign as they ramp up ground efforts here, McCain's National Political Director Mike DuHaime told reporters in a conference call yesterday.

Meanwhile, the McCain-Palin campaign said yesterday that it is opening 12 more offices across the state, bringing the total to about 20, and are beefing up field staff.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...10-02-0123.html

McCain's pretty confident that the voting machines in FL and OH will take care of him.

Yep, the Republicans have stacked ALL the voting machines against the Democrats. That's why they still control both houses of Congress. :sick::sick::sick:

vote for earmarks...

Sorta like McCain vowing to never vote for earmarks...

(low blow, I know)

1. You posted the same link twice.

2. That was very interesting. I hear a lot about the porks added to this Bill, I was curious what they were exactly. That's pretty crazy. What does it mean that they proposed essentially the same Bill twice, but since the 2nd time it had pork added on, it is likely to get passed?

Obama doesn't leave states like McCain does. Obama just cuts his staff to just a few people. Case in point: Georgia.

Georgia was always a long shot for Obama, while Michigan was one of the key battleground states that McCain thought would be enticed by the hockey mom. But unfortunately for him Michigan voters put their paychecks ahead of bodychecks.

The electoral vote is looking even better for Obama.

http://www.electoral-vote.com/

The US is really repudiating the Republicans this time around.

I also head over to FiveThirtyEight for my electoral college map fix. If you're a poll junkie the site is fantastic. It doesn't have the groovy roll-over feature, but has just about everything else you'd want to dig into.

McCain's got to do something, probably ugly, to try and right the ship or the GOP is in big trouble. If it looks like he has no chance in the next week or so the GOP base will not go to the polls at anywhere near the levels the Dems will. That's horrible news for the GOP candidates on the down-ticket races. There's a few very close Senate races and the Dems would like to be in a position to make some major gains. That would spell doom for Lieberman, as the Dems wouldn't need to placate him anymore. If the POTUS race is deemed somewhat safe then the Dems can move some of their support to bolster some key Senate campaigns.

Could be a long night for the GOP if McCain can't stop the bleeding by the end of next week.

vote for earmarks...

Sorta like McCain vowing to never vote for earmarks...

(low blow, I know)

As I wrote in the other thread, how are tax breaks considered "pork"?

These add-ons are not Congress directly spending money that'll need to be raised by taxes.

This is Congress giving some companies some tax breaks so they can shore up their businesses and encourage growth in American production... which at the end of the day will actually probably be good for the govt, when you follow the proven point that when tax rates are lowered, total tax revenues actually increase.

Nice job by CNN to try to make people think that tax cuts, even if they're targeted, are bad, with their "... would cost taxpayers $X" lines. NEWS FLASH! Tax cuts are not payments and don't cost taxpayers money. It only makes it sure that govt doesn't have their hands in a business' pockets in the first place... which can be the difference in companies surviving and people staying employed.

These add-ons are not Congress directly spending money that'll need to be raised by taxes.

This is Congress giving some companies some tax breaks so they can shore up their businesses and encourage growth in American production... which at the end of the day will actually probably be good for the govt, when you follow the proven point that when tax rates are lowered, total tax revenues actually increase.

Nice job by CNN to try to make people think that tax cuts, even if they're targeted, are bad, with their "... would cost taxpayers $X" lines. NEWS FLASH! Tax cuts are not payments and don't cost taxpayers money. It only makes it sure that govt doesn't have their hands in a business' pockets in the first place... which can be the difference in companies surviving and people staying employed.

I could be mistaken but I think that these tax cuts were already on the books but they were set to expire shortly. The bailout just extended them.

A targeted tax exemption is the same thing as a directed expenditure, i.e. "earmark." That means that taxes the company/organization/group of people would have paid is not going in the federal budget - thus they get a special exemption while others do not.

I'm not saying its always a bad thing and in fact believe these incentives can be very productive -- but then you have to accept the fact that some directed expenditures (the other so-called "earmark") can be equally productive.

But just like some "bad" earmarks (which depends on where you sit) many of the tax credit earmarks are simple give-a-ways to those who don't deserve it while the rest of us pay.

So, in the end, CNN was right. They don't pay their taxes with costs X amount of tax dollars not in the budget, thus a bigger part of the burden falls on the rest of us. (And spare me the macro argument about whether anyone should ever pay taxes).

McCain's got to do something, probably ugly, to try and right the ship or the GOP is in big trouble. If it looks like he has no chance in the next week or so the GOP base will not go to the polls at anywhere near the levels the Dems will. That's horrible news for the GOP candidates on the down-ticket races. There's a few very close Senate races and the Dems would like to be in a position to make some major gains. That would spell doom for Lieberman, as the Dems wouldn't need to placate him anymore. If the POTUS race is deemed somewhat safe then the Dems can move some of their support to bolster some key Senate campaigns.

Could be a long night for the GOP if McCain can't stop the bleeding by the end of next week.

the answer is he's going (more) negative

Before the bailout crisis, aides said, McCain was succeeding in focusing attention on Obama's record and character. Now, they say, he must return to those subjects.

"We are looking for a very aggressive last 30 days," said Greg Strimple, one of McCain's top advisers. "We are looking forward to turning a page on this financial crisis and getting back to discussing Mr. Obama's aggressively liberal record and how he will be too risky for Americans."

By aggressive, they mean try to get people to believe he's a radical black Muslim community organizer who will take away the white women and your little dog too. But don't be too obvious about it.

Annnnd begin......

"We see America as the greatest force for good in this world," Palin said at a fund-raising event in Colorado, adding, "Our opponent though, is someone who sees America, it seems, as being so imperfect that he's palling around with terrorists who would target their own country."

Palin made similar comments later at a rally in Carson, California.

Palin cited an article in Saturday's New York Times about Obama's relationship with Bill Ayers, now 63. But that article concluded that "the two men do not appear to have been close. Nor has Mr. Obama ever expressed sympathy for the radical views and actions of Mr. Ayers, whom he has called 'somebody who engaged in detestable acts 40 years ago, when I was 8.' "

Obama campaign spokesman Hari Sevugan called Palin's comments "offensive" and "not surprising given the McCain campaign's statement this morning that they would be launching Swift Boat-like attacks in hopes of deflecting attention from the nation's economic ills."

Al Ribeiro, until now McCain's Michigan state director, had the unenviable task of sending out an email to Republicans in the state explaining as delicately as possible why they were pulling out.

"With 30 days before the election, the campaign must decide where it can best utilize its limited resources with the goal of winning nationally and ensuring John McCain is our next President,' Ribiero explained in an message Saturday, adding that McCain hadn't given up on the state and urging activists to keep working.

One county chair wasn't buying -- and he let Ribiero and a large list of other Michigan Republicans know in a scalding email reply.

"If you are going to end visits to the state by McCain/ Palin, do it," urged Jack Waldvogel, Chairman of the Emmet County GOP in a message obtained by Politico. "Just don't formally announce that you are 'pulling out' of Michigan, and then come back two days later asking the base core of support to 'keep working.' What a slap in the face to all the thousands of people who have been energized by the addition of Sarah Palin to the ticket. I've been involved in County Party politics and organization for 40 years, and this is the biggest dumbass stunt I have ever seen."

Waldvogel added later in the message: "He has given up on our State? What a total and complete crock of crap. Again, I think McCain owes the Republicans and the People of Michigan a HUGE APOLOGY. SOON!"

"How on earth are we to get people to work for McCain here, when he has already, publicly, in the media, given up on Michigan?" wondered Waldvogel. "We feel abandoned, we are disappointed, and we are heartsick to know that we aren't important enough for him to fight for."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/