More on Obama tactics

What I fear about an Obama candidacy is less him than the tactics of his followers throughout tjhis campaign. The blind eye by his supporters to the way in which they campaign and how the media covers it, all out of out of a simple belief that the ends justifies the means, is a dangerous precedent for this democracy.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/o...draws-backlash/

This story brought back to mind the recent story (misrepresented by the TV station that broadcasted it) that Obama was asking law enforcement to prevent false campaign ads. His campaign was only having them investigate and object as private citizens, which is perfectly fine. But as I reviewed the story I noticed that the Obama press release did not single out any non-law enforcement volunteers among the group. In hindsight, what should we conclude from that other than the fact that they were emphasizing that these were law enforcement officials? The initiative may have been perfectly acceptable, but the selling of it suggests a goal of intimidation.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I fear about an Obama candidacy is less him than the tactics of his followers throughout tjhis campaign. The blind eye by his supporters to the way in which they campaign and how the media covers it, all out of out of a simple belief that the ends justifies the means, is a dangerous precedent for this democracy.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/o...draws-backlash/

This story brought back to mind the recent story (misrepresented by the TV station that broadcasted it) that Obama was asking law enforcement to prevent false campaign ads. His campaign was only having them investigate and object as private citizens, which is perfectly fine. But as I reviewed the story I noticed that the Obama press release did not single out any non-law enforcement volunteers among the group. In hindsight, what should we conclude from that other than the fact that they were emphasizing that these were law enforcement officials? The initiative may have been perfectly acceptable, but the selling of it suggests a goal of intimidation.

What? An email was sent out for teachers to wear a blue T-shirt...no Obama shirts with slogans or Obama buttons. A blue T-shirt. Also, where the hell is the evidence of any threat or intimidation in that piece? You saw an article on teachers wearing a blue T-shirt to school, then you remember a largly misrepresented story from a week ago, and from this you make the leap to "a goal of intimidation?" Really?

What? An email was sent out for teachers to wear a blue T-shirt...no Obama shirts with slogans or Obama buttons. A blue T-shirt. Also, where the hell is the evidence of any threat or intimidation in that piece? You saw an article on teachers wearing a blue T-shirt to school, then you remember a largly misrepresented story from a week ago, and from this you make the leap to "a goal of intimidation?" Really?

Its going to be a long eight years for the right wingers :thumbsup:

grasping at straws. Unfortunately it's just the beginning. It's going to get nasty.

I happened to catch the beginning of Fox 'News' with Brit Hume last night. The first five or so stories were all hrad core right wing propagand pieces. Just silly. Then they had a story of how Russia and China were causing trouble in Africa to secure resurces and how our military was there to protect freedom :thumbsup:

I happened to catch the beginning of Fox 'News' with Brit Hume last night. The first five or so stories were all hrad core right wing propagand pieces. Just silly. Then they had a story of how Russia and China were causing trouble in Africa to secure resurces and how our military was there to protect freedom :thumbsup:

I thought our military was used for God?

I'd like to see McCain attack the Jeremiah Wright angle a bit more. Not that I'm voting for McCain, mind you, but I think Obama's getting a free pass on that one.

A free pass? How so? It wasn't talked about enough during the primaries? And really with palin's church, why would he want to go there?

Almost like Palin making her little joke about Biden being old. Dumbass. Her partner is older.

Sorry, the two are separate, only connected in the sense of abuse of public roles. Did not mean to suggest that the teachers were going to intimidate anyone, only that they were being told by the union to do something very inappriopriate - namely, have an organized day of support at the schools for a candidate (everybody wear his colors, but no shirts with his name, that'll give us legal cover!), and target two new supporters per teacher for Obama. You think that's ok?

Is it ok if school administers in Republican dominated districts do the same thing?

I'd like to see McCain attack the Jeremiah Wright angle a bit more. Not that I'm voting for McCain, mind you, but I think Obama's getting a free pass on that one.

Old news. It's already been played out. Anybody not voting for him because of Wright has already made up their minds.

If there's no bounce from this debate tonight the McCain campaign will have no choice but to go really negative. However, I think even that window has passed because the Obama campaign has a lot of issue-driven momentum and most voters will consider any "Bring up Wright" tactics as desperation, which they are. This race isn't over by a long, long shot, but McCain is going to have to do some serious campaigning to catch up. If Palin really tanks tonight it could get pretty ugly and he'll have an even deeper hole to dig out of. He might have to prostrate himself before the Dark Lord, Karl Rove, begging for help, but I'm not sure even that will do much. Not over, but not looking good.

You could. But I don't think that is a broad sell with Americans generally.

Plenty of people belong to Churches and may disagree with lots of stuff said on the pulpit.

Most people who belong to religious communities differ all the time - from how the sacristy is decorated

to what is said on Sunday.

Especially with Independents I think exploring those connections has little suasion.

Sorry, the two are separate, only connected in the sense of abuse of public roles. Did not mean to suggest that the teachers were going to intimidate anyone, only that they were being told by the union to do something very inappriopriate - namely, have an organized day of support at the schools for a candidate (everybody wear his colors, but no shirts with his name, that'll give us legal cover!), and target two new supporters per teacher for Obama. You think that's ok?

Is it ok if school administers in Republican dominated districts do the same thing?

I think it's a reach to think the teachers were "recruiting" students for Obama. How many of these kids can even vote? A handfull of seniors? Also, teachers seem to get crapped on, but every one of them I know has nothing but the interest of their students at heart. They're not some recruiting team for Obama. They're teachers. Lastly, there are plenty of GOTV campaigns in many High Schools across the US. I'm sure many are in predominantly conservative areas. I think it's a great thing.

...because the Obama campaign has a lot of issue-driven momentum and most voters will consider any "Bring up Wright" tactics as desperation, which they are.

Issue-driven momemtum? Like what? There are no issues being pushed by Obama right now. He is sitting back and letting the media rake over Palin and McCain. If there is momemtum to Obama right now, it is less about him and more about support fleeing McCain. Obama's not getting them because he's focusing laser-like on the issues and positions that they care about, he's getting them because he's not the Republican.

Relative to other candidates in other campaigns, and even his own from six months ago, there is no particular theme, issue, or position at the forefront of the Obama campaign right now. He coasting while things are in is favor. It's the right move, IMO. Don't make news as long as the media keeps hammering McCain.

Issue-driven momemtum? Like what? There are no issues being pushed by Obama right now. He is sitting back and letting the media rake over Palin and McCain. If there is momemtum to Obama right now, it is less about him and more about support fleeing McCain. Obama's not getting them because he's focusing laser-like on the issues and positions that they care about, he's getting them because he's not the Republican.

Relative to other candidates in other campaigns, and even his own from six months ago, there is no particular theme, issue, or position at the forefront of the Obama campaign right now. He coasting while things are in is favor. It's the right move, IMO. Don't make news as long as the media keeps hammering McCain.

It is really true of both sides right now. The fight in the last month is for the middle, namely, the people still undecided but who still vote. The vote that is still out there to win tends not to be ideological and are generally people that have a limited understanding of how government works.

Neither side is likely to get more specific at this point. Their bases are solidified by now. Bases like specifics.

The middle likes impressions.

So, the numbers showing the public has more confidence in Obama handling the economy crisis during an economy crisis isn't issue driven? His numbers started to elevate by the end of last week, and the debate just sealed the deal for a lot of voters. Absolutely people are running away from McCain...because he's tied to the worst administration in US history. But that's not why Obama is leading in the polls. His numbers are at or above 50%. You don't poll those numbers if people are only enamored with you because they hate the other guy. You may not agree with it or like it, but he has connected with a lot of voters.

It's just nonsense to think the media is driving people into the Obama column. The McCain people would like you to believe it because the McCain campaign is about blaming everyone instead of looking inward and realising they're running a crap campaign. Look, if your campaign is built on gimmicks to get the press to change it's narrative so you can avoid an issue-based campaign, you can't B word and whine about the press for covering your gimmick if it crashes and burns.

I happened to catch the beginning of Fox 'News' :thumbsup:

It's a shame that "news organizations" no longer have any credibility due to their partisan demographic sales pitch (goes for MSNBC as well). Too bad the FCC can't require a 'warning lable' at the bottom of the screen to help the thinking impaired audience, similar to what we have on food and tobbaco products...

I think it's a reach to think the teachers were "recruiting" students for Obama. How many of these kids can even vote? A handfull of seniors? Also, teachers seem to get crapped on, but every one of them I know has nothing but the interest of their students at heart. They're not some recruiting team for Obama. They're teachers. Lastly, there are plenty of GOTV campaigns in many High Schools across the US. I'm sure many are in predominantly conservative areas. I think it's a great thing.

Then why did the email say to recruit two supporters, referencing who they teach?

(I've tried unsuccessfully to dig up the actual email on the internet, but can only go on excerpts given in the reporting.)

As to being too young to vote, they are not too young to canvass or influence their parents. Don't you remember the thread about the blue-clad elementary students singing Obamo songs on youtube?

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=73192

Old news. It's already been played out. Anybody not voting for him because of Wright has already made up their minds.

If there's no bounce from this debate tonight the McCain campaign will have no choice but to go really negative. However, I think even that window has passed because the Obama campaign has a lot of issue-driven momentum and most voters will consider any "Bring up Wright" tactics as desperation, which they are. This race isn't over by a long, long shot, but McCain is going to have to do some serious campaigning to catch up. If Palin really tanks tonight it could get pretty ugly and he'll have an even deeper hole to dig out of. He might have to prostrate himself before the Dark Lord, Karl Rove, begging for help, but I'm not sure even that will do much. Not over, but not looking good.

In all seriousness, hanging with Wright, or even his particularly close time spent with an admitted terrorist, are all a thing of the past because Obama has denounced them. It's like being a catholic. Kill someone. Ask for forgiveness. Go to heaven. Our future president has absolute carte blanche, and I, for one, can't wait until he takes the White House and REALLY shows this country the meaning of the phrase "Be cafeful what you ask for as you will SURELY get it!!!!"

OBAMA/BIDEN Baby!!!!

Then why did the email say to recruit two supporters, referencing who they teach?

(I've tried unsuccessfully to dig up the actual email on the internet, but can only go on excerpts given in the reporting.)

As to being too young to vote, they are not too young to canvass or influence their parents. Don't you remember the thread about the blue-clad elementary students singing Obamo songs on youtube?

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=73192

I'd say you're reading way too much into an email suggesting teachers wear blue T-shirts and talk to two people of voting age about Obama.

It's just nonsense to think the media is driving people into the Obama column.

Absolutely. Obama is where he is ONLY because he is the change we've been waiting for. The media has NOTHING to do with his rise. He simply got there based on all the amazing work he has done in the Senate, and his love for the middle class, and his original thinking, and most importantly, the way he stood up in the middle of the economic crisis and said "Bush McCain policies are the reason for this mess, so if you need me, you can just call me and I'll fix it."

And now it's clear that America knows what he's going to do. He's going to show everyone precisely who is responsible for this mess, and when it's all over in four years, America will finally see the light!

GO Obama/Biden!!!!