How many "Joe Sixpacks" have 20k to lose?

blzrul

Palin's latest: she's a "Joe Sixpack" just like everyone else in America, and to demonstrate it she's lost $20k in her 401k during this past crisis.

Maybe it's in one of McCain's houses or cars?

Someone will ask for the linky - I'm too lazy. It's on the CNN Politics page.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Palin's latest: she's a "Joe Sixpack" just like everyone else in America, and to demonstrate it she's lost $20k in her 401k during this past crisis.

Joan and Todd Six Pack make $250,000, have five properties, two boats, two other watercraft, and a small plane (albeit a crappy one). If she makes one more dollar, she will be taxed by Obama. :rolleyes:

Great. Another thread about Palin. How about one on the drunken, liberal, racist, plagiarizing, hair plugged, Biden. Oh wait. He just like most of you liberal wankers. Thats why. Nice work :rolleyes:

(token post slaming liberals for who they are)

Great. Another thread about Palin. How about one on the drunken, liberal, racist, plagiarizing, hair plugged, Biden. Oh wait. He just like most of you liberal wankers. Thats why. Nice work :rolleyes:

(token post slaming liberals for who they are)

So Biden is a racist? And it's not his real hair??

You don't understand much about money do you?

You don't understand much about money do you?

Actually I do. But to have lost $20k in the past couple of weeks you either have to have a REALLY BADLY INVESTED portfolio, or you have a lot of money. I've lost well over $20k from my 401k but not in a short time period - I am not invested in any financial stocks and my bond holdings stabilize my investments, a little anyway.

But we're not talking about me. I am not a "Joe Six Pack". I am a white-collar worker who is fortunate to make a very good wage. My brother is a Joe Six Pack. He drives a 1992 Ford F150 and lives in a double-wide. Losing $20k would be a big hit for him...if he had it to lose in the first place.

Actually I do. But to have lost $20k in the past couple of weeks you either have to have a REALLY BADLY INVESTED portfolio, or you have a lot of money. I've lost well over $20k from my 401k but not in a short time period - I am not invested in any financial stocks and my bond holdings stabilize my investments, a little anyway.

But we're not talking about me. I am not a "Joe Six Pack". I am a white-collar worker who is fortunate to make a very good wage. My brother is a Joe Six Pack. He drives a 1992 Ford F150 and lives in a double-wide. Losing $20k would be a big hit for him...if he had it to lose in the first place.

Ok darlin' some math for you. The S&P (a more accurate index of someone's well balanced 401k) was down 8.8% on Monday. $20,000 is 8.8% of about $230,000. That's not a huge 401k. But you continue to spew your propoganda. Nothing here.

Ok darlin' some math for you. The S&P (a more accurate index of someone's well balanced 401k) was down 8.8% on Monday. $20,000 is 8.8% of about $230,000. That's not a huge 401k. But you continue to spew your propoganda. Nothing here.

To us poor slobs that is a HUGE 401k! That can by me two to three houses where I live!

$230k is not a huge amount for a 401k? There's a lot of JoeSixPacks that would be stoked to have $20k in a retirement fund. She's just not an average American. Not even close.

$230k is not a huge amount for a 401k? There's a lot of JoeSixPacks that would be stoked to have $20k in a retirement fund. She's just not an average American. Not even close.

For a 40 something that's not a lot of money for retirement. I think somebody needs to start saving. Even on a chef's salary I had more than that at 40 and you of all people should know that I was not rolling in dough (well not that dough) as a chef.

To us poor slobs that is a HUGE 401k! That can by me two to three houses where I live!

How long could you live off of it during retirement? Two years. Good luck....America is doomed.

BTW you start saving at the age of 25 $5,000 per year in your 401k. At a return of 8% you've got $230,000 in 20 years. It's not that hard folks.

Edited by Chef Jim

For a 40 something that's not a lot of money for retirement. I think somebody needs to start saving. Even on a chef's salary I had more than that at 40 and you of all people should know that I was not rolling in dough (well not that dough) as a chef.

I'm 42 and have about a tenth of that. It's not as uncommon as you think.

How long could you live off of it during retirement? Two years. Good luck....America is doomed.

BTW you start saving at the age of 25 $5,000 per year in your 401k. At a return of 8% you've got $230,000 in 20 years. It's not that hard folks.

Thanks, I really didn't feel like pointing out the simple math to her.

While not every JSP falls into the same category, many fit perfectly into the category Palin has just described.

I'm 42 and have about a tenth of that. It's not as uncommon as you think.

I hope you have a good pension plan. In all seriousness I would suggest you start talking to a financial planner. You can still do quite a lot with the almost 20 years you likely have until retirement.