Historical Game of the Week

KRC

I thought I would try something new. Each week, I thought I would dig into the archives to talk about a game involving the Bills' next opponent. Since the Bills are playing the Cardinals this week, I thought I would go WAAAAY back to the early days of the NFL and talk about the first game played between the Cardinals and a Buffalo professional football team. On November 5, 1922 the Buffalo All-Americans traveled to Chicago to play the Cardinals.

Here is the link to where I will be archiving these games:

The actual game write-up is here: Buffalo All-Americans vs Chicago Cardinals (PDF)

In the coming weeks, I will gauge the reaction to see if this should be a regular feature. Feedback is welcome. If people like this feature, I will do it every week. For the bye week, I will focus on other teams in Western and Central New York. With next week's bye, I will talk about the Syracuse Athletic Association of the 1890s.

I thought I would try something new. Each week, I thought I would dig into the archives to talk about a game involving the Bills' next opponent. Since the Bills are playing the Cardinals this week, I thought I would go WAAAAY back to the early days of the NFL and talk about the first game played between the Cardinals and a Buffalo professional football team. On November 5, 1922 the Buffalo All-Americans traveled to Chicago to play the Cardinals.

The actual game write-up is here: Buffalo All-Americans vs Chicago Cardinals (PDF)

In the coming weeks, I will gauge the reaction to see if this should be a regular feature. Feedback is welcome. If people like this feature, I will do it every week. For the bye week, I will focus on other teams in Western and Central New York. With next week's bye, I will talk about the Syracuse Athletic Association of the 1890s.

Great idea. :ph34r: Try to include some Rochester Jefferson games. They were a part of the original NFL teams.

BTW, if you ever want to include the hysterical game of the week all you have to do is go back to 17 of the scRams last games. :lol:

Original 11: Canton Bulldogs, Decatur Staleys, Chicago Cardinals, Akron Pros, Cleveland Indians, Dayton Triangles, Massillon Tigers, Hammond Pros, Muncie Flyers, Rock Island Independents, Rochester Jeffersons. :ph34r: (Massilon Tigers never played) The four that joined by start of season were, Buffalo All-Americans, Chicago Tigers, Columbus Panhandles, and the Detroit Heralds.

Original 11: Canton Bulldogs, Decatur Staleys, Chicago Cardinals, Akron Pros, Cleveland Indians, Dayton Triangles, Massillon Tigers, Hammond Pros, Muncie Flyers, Rock Island Independents, Rochester Jeffersons. :ph34r: (Massilon Tigers never played) The four that joined by start of season were, Buffalo All-Americans, Chicago Tigers, Columbus Panhandles, and the Detroit Heralds.

That is not quite correct. Buffalo never became an official member until 1921, even though they are included in the standings for 1920.

I will include some Jeffersons games. They were WNY's first NFL team.

My God, the more things change the more they stay the same! :ph34r:

Heading into the 1922 game Buffalo was a little bitter.

Riddle me this History Man...

Why did Arnold Horween play under the name A. McMahon?

Ethnicity?

To hide a 'unappealing' religious background?

Please do keep publishing these...facinating!

My God, the more things change the more they stay the same! :lol:

Ain't that the truth.

Riddle me this History Man...

Why did Arnold Horween play under the name A. McMahon?

Ethnicity?

To hide a 'unappealing' religious background?

It probably depended on the job he had. Most companies (that did not sponsor a team) back then frowned upon professional football. It was extremely common for people to hid their identities in order to play. Also, if he were still in college, he would have had eligibility issues with playing pro ball. Some teams also thought they could gain an advantage by hiding their true roster. Their opponent wouldn't find out the true roster until they lined up against them on the field.

There were many "John Smith's" playing in those days. That is why it is so difficult to research the pre-NFL teams. Once things started going semi-pro and pro, the bulk of the published rosters contained fake names.

Please do keep publishing these...facinating!

Will do. :ph34r:

Man, where is Swede Youngstrom when we need him!

End. Usually meant for offense/WR.

Remember, back in those days, all players played on both sides of the ball so you cannot call an End an offensive player. The End is the player playing on the outside of the Tackle. There were no receivers split wide of the line. Consider it a double-tight end alignment, with two halfbacks, a fullback and a quarterback filling out the backfield. Receivers did not split out wide until many decades later.

BTW, here is my tentative schedule for these games:

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS: 1965 AFL Championship Game

@ Miami Dolphins: Miscellaneous Rochester Jeffersons Game (possibly 1916 when they won the state championship)

NEW YORK JETS: First AFL Game in Bills' history, which was against the New York Titans

@ New England Patriots: First AFL Game against the Boston Patriots

CLEVELAND BROWNS: 1948 AAFC Championship Game

@ Kansas City Chiefs: First Bills game against the Dallas Texans

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: First game between the 1946 Buffalo Bisons and the San Francisco 49ers

MIAMI DOLPHINS (Toronto): First game against the 1946 Miami Seahawks

@ New York Jets: 1921 game between Tonawanda Kardex and the Rochester Jeffersons (Both NFL teams)

@ Denver Broncos: First AFL Game against the Denver Broncos

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: Miscellaneous Bills game from the 1970s or 1980s

Really cool read, Ken. Thanks. One question: Is there a position guide key? What was "E"?

No specific key, but if you want to know about any of the others (End was answered in Chandler#81's post), just let me know.

That is not quite correct. Buffalo never became an official member until 1921, even though they are included in the standings for 1920.

I will include some Jeffersons games. They were WNY's first NFL team.

Do not forget the Tonawanda Kardex! :pirate: The ONLY NFL team to lose just one game in their franchise history. I love researching this stuff, but you guys RULE, Ken.

I have a copy of the Rochester Jeffersons NFL franchise contract. I think it cost $25 to join. Unfortunately it is a poor print of newspaper microfiche from the pubic libray.

Leo Lyons (player-manager of the Jeffs) turned away TE George Halas. So George went to play for the Decatur Staleys (Staley Syrup), later bought the franchise and moved to Chicago, where he renamed his team the Bears.

More Nit Pickin' from nfl.com

The American Professional Football Conference (including Rochester Jeffersons) changed its name to American Professional Football Association (including Buffalo All-Americans)

The American Professional Football Association changed its name to the National Football League.

So both teams were in the first year of the NFL.

Do not forget the Tonawanda Kardex! :pirate: The ONLY NFL team to lose just one game in their franchise history. I love researching this stuff, but you guys RULE, Ken.

I plan on writing about the Kardex vs. Jeffersons game later this year (see my schedule above).

I have a copy of the Rochester Jeffersons NFL franchise contract. I think it cost $25 to join. Unfortunately it is a poor print of newspaper microfiche from the pubic libray.

The number is a little low. I remember a $100 fee that nobody paid. It was not until later in the decade before the league really started requiring franchises to pay their fee, in order to eliminate the weaker clubs.

Leo Lyons (player-manager of the Jeffs) turned away TE George Halas. So George went to play for the Decatur Staleys (Staley Syrup), later bought the franchise and moved to Chicago, where he renamed his team the Bears.

I never heard that story. The timing does not seem correct for that to happen. (I am talking about Halas, not the Staleys to Bears stuff). Ironically, it was the Staleys who defeated Buffalo for the 1921 APFA championship.

More Nit Pickin' from nfl.com

<a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>1920

The American Professional Football Conference (including Rochester Jeffersons) changed its name to American Professional Football Association (including Buffalo All-Americans)

The American Professional Football Association changed its name to the National Football League.

So both teams were in the first year of the NFL.

Picky...picky... :w00t: Of course, you would be incorrect to call the Tonawanda Kardex an NFL team if you followed that logic, since Tonawanda only had a team in 1921 (and earlier, but that does not help your argument, either). :o

Picky...picky... :w00t: Of course, you would be incorrect to call the Tonawanda Kardex an NFL team if you followed that logic, since Tonawanda only had a team in 1921 (and earlier, but that does not help your argument, either). :pirate:

That raises another question; when did they change their name to the Red Warriors? :o