Congressional Failure of Leadership

John Adams

Dear Congress:

Today you failed to pass the bail out plan, a terribly ill-spun layman's description of the "Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008." Maybe we should stop right there: Did you stop to clearly explain to the Americans who hate the thought of bailing out "fatcat Wall Street CEOs," to paraphrase our Marxist populist-fear-fanning-Democratic-presidential nominee, what it is this bill does? No.

And why would you? I mean, it's only the most important piece of legislation in 30 years. How about breaking in to the prime time Survivor slot with an explanation that this bill isn't bailing out anyone except everyone? That it's not 700 billion America will never see again unless property values go to zero. That making sure money keeps flowing is crucial, not just to Obama's Wall Street fatcats, but also to the average consumer. !@#$all, they did a better job of explaining banking in Mary Poppins than you all did before proposing this bill. Is Dick Van Dyke available to run for Senate? President?

[more at this awesome site]

And why would you? I mean, it's only the most important piece of legislation in 30 years. How about breaking in to the prime time Survivor slot with an explanation that this bill isn't bailing out anyone except everyone?

Interrupt Survivor, Biggest Loser, ....... No way could we ever see real leadership sit down and talk to the American public.

If mcCain was really the Maverick he claims he would get on TV and explain exactly what is wrong with the current plan and lay out his plan ( or is he for it now its hard to keep track ), If Obama was a true leader he would sit down and do the same. Problem is we have these right wing talking heads claiming its a bailout of wall street, folks this is a bailout of America and as much as ya hate the damn thing I don't see another way around it.

Dear Congress:

Today you failed to pass the bail out plan, a terribly ill-spun layman's description of the "Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008." Maybe we should stop right there: Did you stop to clearly explain to the Americans who hate the thought of bailing out "fatcat Wall Street CEOs," to paraphrase our Marxist populist-fear-fanning-Democratic-presidential nominee, what it is this bill does? No.

And why would you? I mean, it's only the most important piece of legislation in 30 years. How about breaking in to the prime time Survivor slot with an explanation that this bill isn't bailing out anyone except everyone? That it's not 700 billion America will never see again unless property values go to zero. That making sure money keeps flowing is crucial, not just to Obama's Wall Street fatcats, but also to the average consumer. !@#$all, they did a better job of explaining banking in Mary Poppins than you all did before proposing this bill. Is Dick Van Dyke available to run for Senate? President?

Really, who in the government could explain this to the American public? Pelosi? She can't even explain it to the House. Bush? Even if he could handle the big words, no one would believe him. McCain? He COULD handle the big words, and no one would believe him? Obama? I'm not even sure he completely understands the issue.

The only people I think America would listen to are...I don't know. Letterman. Maybe Leno. Hell, even Paris Hilton (in her rebuttal to McCain, her energy policy was FAR better than either candidate's). But no one's going to listen to anyone in the government on this issue. WORST. GOVERNMENT. EVER.

Really, who in the government could explain this to the American public? Pelosi? She can't even explain it to the House. Bush? Even if he could handle the big words, no one would believe him. McCain? He COULD handle the big words, and no one would believe him? Obama? I'm not even sure he completely understands the issue.

The only people I think America would listen to are...I don't know. Letterman. Maybe Leno. Hell, even Paris Hilton (in her rebuttal to McCain, her energy policy was FAR better than either candidate's). But no one's going to listen to anyone in the government on this issue. WORST. GOVERNMENT. EVER.

Pelosi is an ass to make the comments she made and the republicans that were for it that decided her remarks were petty are wusses as well. Voting for the other guy wont solve a damn thing either since they just want to be corrupt themselves. A real republican leader would have said, Pelosi is an ass for making the comments she made however we are going to step above all of the politics and do what is right for America

Dear Congress:

That blog must hold the record for the highest ratio of blog entries to reader comments in the history of the internet.

Dear Congress:

So, Obama is the Wall Street's guy AND a Marxist? This is a weird election.

On the other hand, we need this bill but the GOP gets a pass for caving to a vocal, uninformed minority?

David Brooks today in the NY Times:

George W. Bush is completely out of juice, having squandered his influence with Republicans as well as Democrats. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson is a smart moneyman, but an inept legislator. He was told time and time again that House Republicans would not support his bill, and his response was to get down on bended knee before House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

House leaders of both parties got wrapped up in their own negotiations, but did it occur to any of them that it might be hard to pass a bill fairly described as a bailout to Wall Street? Was the media darling Barney Frank too busy to notice the 95 Democrats who opposed his bill? Pelosi’s fiery speech at the crucial moment didn’t actually kill this bill, but did she have to act like a Democratic fund-raiser at the most important moment of her career?

And let us recognize above all the 228 who voted no — the authors of this revolt of the nihilists. They showed the world how much they detest their own leaders and the collected expertise of the Treasury and Fed. They did the momentarily popular thing, and if the country slides into a deep recession, they will have the time and leisure to watch public opinion shift against them.

House Republicans led the way and will get most of the blame. It has been interesting to watch them on their single-minded mission to destroy the Republican Party. Not long ago, they led an anti-immigration crusade that drove away Hispanic support. Then, too, they listened to the loudest and angriest voices in their party, oblivious to the complicated anxieties that lurk in most American minds.

Now they have once again confused talk radio with reality. If this economy slides, they will go down in history as the Smoot-Hawleys of the 21st century. With this vote, they’ve taken responsibility for this economy, and they will be held accountable. The short-term blows will fall on John McCain, the long-term stress on the existence of the G.O.P. as we know it.

Question for the erstwhile libertarian OP:

Is the bailout even constituional?

or, for that matter, is this:

That confidence was eroded over the weekend by the emergency bank rescues. By Monday morning, after Asian stock markets had nose-dived, credit markets were seizing up, meaning that the normal flow of trading among banks wasn't taking place. The European Central Bank then announced it was pumping an extra $173 billion into European markets. In Washington, the Federal Reserve said it would make an additional $620 billion available for future lending to nine foreign central banks.

Linkie Poo....

Likely they'll have the same vote on Thursday but this time WITHOUT Pelosi anywhere to poison it and it will pass.

P.S. Who/what branches of the US government will be responsible for the stewardship of this bailout, and over what period of time?

You mean if the GOP didn't have their feelings hurt they would have done the right thing for America? Now that's political courage. Let's hope that this time only sticks and stones can hurt them.

Quick civics lesson: the executive branch (i.e. the president). Treasury to be more specific. Any number of agencies within.

Dear Congress:

I love the part Obama's Wall Street fat cats" HAHAHAHA Yes, McCain mentioned the middle-class once during the first debate. NOT!!! :ph34r: