ESPN: Corey McIntyre in, Darian Barnes out at FB

Lori

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-3-189...cut-Barnes.html

September 29, 2008 7:35 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

The Buffalo Bills have swapped out fullbacks.

Two NFL sources have informed me the Bills have signed fullback Corey McIntyre and released Darian Barnes, who had been gaining local popularity for his big hits and entertaining interviews as a recurring guest on the Jim Rome Show.

Barnes injured his right foot in Week 3. He practiced last week but was inactive for Sunday's victory over the St. Louis Rams.

Barnes had zero carries and two receptions for 34 yards. He is a seven-year journeyman who previously played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins and New York Jets.

McIntyre has played one season each with the Cleveland Browns, New Orleans Saints and Atlanta Falcons, where he was special teams captain last year. The Falcons released him at the end of training camp.

The West Virginia grad is a pure blocking fullback. In 33 NFL games, including one start, McIntyre has no rushing attempts and one catch.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 49 | Key

Alert: None

Comment: McIntyre is fairly athletic and has decent size and functional strength. He's competitive and tough. He has some versatility and has a little something to offer as a runner and a receiver. But he doesn't stand out in any area, except possibly special teams. He isn't a powerful lead blocker and mainly relies on angles and body position. He too often stops his feet on contact. He doesn't always get his shoulders square to his target or finish blocks. He has very minimal value in the passing game. Despite his special teams contributions, McIntyre is the type of player teams always are trying to upgrade

Yeah, but he couldn't hit a moving target to save his life.

Agreed, he has been a huge disappointment, IMO. One real nice catch and run, and that's about it.

Seems like a good guy, but he wasn't getting it done.

that does suck, it seemed like Barnes was really popular and was real funny. I was a little worried though when on both his catches a week ago the ball ended up coming out. It went out of bounds both times but that's not a real encouraging sight for a coaching staff. It was clear they liked McIntyre a lot, he was an RFA and we took a real long look.

Barnes wasn't signed for his offensive abilities--he only caught 16 passes and ran the ball five times in six years before joining the Bills.

No s#it! I simply commented that he has contributed little to the team. His blocking has sucked, for the most part. His biggest contribution has been one nice reception and run...and that's not why he is here. I thought he was supposed to be a bruising lead blocker.

Sorry if you misunderstood my point.