TwoBillsDrive and Fearless Leader make the New York Times

JÂy RÛßeÒ

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/28/sports/f.../28buffalo.html - story on Buffalo/Toronto

The Bills sold more than 56,000 season tickets this year, the most since 1992, and Commissioner Roger Goodell, who grew up in western New York, has indicated he would prefer the team remain in Buffalo. Fans have become somewhat hardened to periodic talk of relocation since the 1970s, said Scott Sarama, who grew up in western New York and founded the Web site twobillsdrive.com (the Bills’ address is One Bills Drive) in 1996.

He and almost everyone else count on the idea that, with Wilson committed to not selling or moving the team while he is alive, and the difficulties of relocation within the N.F.L., Buffalo will probably not have to face the worst for years, if ever.

When the Bills played a preseason game against the Pittsburgh Steelers in Toronto, The Toronto Star reported that before kickoff, tickets were being sold for one-tenth of face value. The atmosphere was unusual: because of an open container law, tailgating — a revered tradition even in the most bitter Buffalo winter — was not allowed at the Rogers Centre.

A better read on the N.F.L.’s popularity in Toronto will come in December when the Bills play a regular-season game against the Miami Dolphins at the Rogers Centre. Then, Sarama said, “It will be, ‘This is what it’s really going to be like, to watch our team play in another city.’ ”

I just caught that. (Must have missed it earlier.)

Outstanding! Congrats, Fearless Leader.

And, the article, while superficial, at least discussed two of the sides of the Tronoto gambit. At least the reporter (Judy Battista) attempted to understand the issue, to a degree. That's better than 90% of the out-of-town reports I read on the situation.

A better read on the N.F.L.’s popularity in Toronto will come in December when the Bills play a regular-season game against the Miami Dolphins at the Rogers Centre. Then, Sarama said, “It will be, ‘This is what it’s really going to be like, to watch our team play in another city.’ ”

Ouch. For some reason that really hit home hard for the first time when I read that last sentence. Yeah, I've known the day was coming, but it's been down the road and below my radar. :lol:

I haven't read the article yet, but I wanted to give a bug thank you to Judy for allowing me to chime in on the subject. What was supposed to be 5 minutes, turned into 35 minutes of me yapping about the subject. She took the time to go to Buffalo and speak with people in the community - this was not researched and written in a NYC coffee shop.

I'll read it tomorrow, but for now I have some MySQL tuning to do, since game days have been shakey recently.

Ouch. For some reason that really hit home hard for the first time when I read that last sentence. Yeah, I've known the day was coming, but it's been down the road and below my radar. :lol:

I have been to all the games this year.. and your right, this will really hit home when I know going to this "home" game is not an option =(

I have been to all the games this year.. and your right, this will really hit home when I know going to this "home" game is not an option =(

I'll be there, but I refuse to call it a home game no matter what the schedule says.

I'll be there, but I refuse to call it a home game no matter what the schedule says.

That's why I'm for a 17 game schedule.

Let a rubber match between division rivals be the one game each team has to play outside the country.

If they did it right, the League could have a full division go out of the country each week for eight weeks to play two games.

Think about it - The NFL should promote the natural rivalries that exist within the conferences and divisions.

International games should always be a third game between a pair of division opponents.

Oh, one more thing.

Each team that travels abroad has a bye week following their International game.

The T. game wouldn't sting so much if we always played the 3 division opponents at The Ralph and away.

Fair enough. It won't be a home game.

But, let's not forget that NFL teams have been playing the occasional game outside of the US for a few years now. Somebody loses a home game for those events. At least, this time, the Bills make a s#it load of needed cash, and get to implement an element of THEIR marketing strategy, and not simply the NFL's.