RIP Paul Newman

Albany,n.y.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hung up some paintings in his house once (he collected americana folk art) in his kitchen was a wall full of photos of Joanne Woodward (I think that was his wife's name) and their daughters, the kids looked just like her. I was disappointed he wasn't home at the time, I always liked him as an actor. I met a few famous people working in the art world that way and working in galleries. I met Leoanardo di caperrio once, the year he made Titanic (and 18 million dollars). He was stoned LOL. Elton John was such a fairy!! (no sh-- I would have never guessed right)

Moby was cool to meet too, nice down to earth guy.

When I worked in a resturant I got to know Patty Smith a bit and thought about asking her out, she was super super nice.

I too feel your pain.

My father worked security at his HITWGC nearby during the celebrity galas they'd have. He met Mr. Newman several times. One of those times a car came down a blocked-access road, the window rolled down and the driver said, "Officer, I've had a long night and I'd just like to get home." He didn't give some ignominous "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!?!" schpiel as if he was the most important person in the world. (My father said to him, "Ahhh... Well, you're not on the list, but all right, go ahead." with a sh--eating grin).

Many times, Mr. Newman would stop in at a local convenience store in town, pick something up and stand in line. Most people wouldn't look twice at him in a baseball cap and sunglasses, but also b/c he was much shorter than anyone would envision from the silver screen. He liked just being an ordinary person that was possible out here in the sticks. His wife Joann Woodward has also been a great benefactor to the town's library.

In the end, I think his legacy will be as much his camps as for his acting. And tho I'm an avowed agnostic I truly hope he's meeting some of the kids whose pain he tried to ease.

RIP Mr. Newman. You did a lot of good.

My father worked security at his HITWGC nearby during the celebrity galas they'd have. He met Mr. Newman several times. One of those times a car came down a blocked-access road, the window rolled down and the driver said, "Officer, I've had a long night and I'd just like to get home." He didn't give some ignominous "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!?!" schpiel as if he was the most important person in the world. (My father said to him, "Ahhh... Well, you're not on the list, but all right, go ahead." with a sh--eating grin).

Many times, Mr. Newman would stop in at a local convenience store in town, pick something up and stand in line. Most people wouldn't look twice at him in a baseball cap and sunglasses, but also b/c he was much shorter than anyone would envision from the silver screen. He liked just being an ordinary person that was possible out here in the sticks. His wife Joann Woodward has also been a great benefactor to the town's library.

In the end, I think his legacy will be as much his camps as for his acting. And tho I'm an avowed agnostic I truly hope he's meeting some of the kids whose pain he tried to ease.

RIP Mr. Newman. You did a lot of good.

UConn James- you mentioned:

"And tho I'm an avowed agnostic I truly hope he's meeting some of the kids whose pain he tried to ease."

That is a beautiful sentiment and visual.

One of my favorite quotes is from It's a Wonderful Life.

In the movie, there is a sign hanging in George Bailey's fathers office you can barely see.

It says:

All you can take with you, is that which you have given away.

To believe in that, is to believe Paul Newman is a very rich man right now.

RIP. He was a big presence in my area (Fairfield County).

In addition to all his other contributions, he was a huge part of a great charity:

The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp

My old Boy Scout troop leader sold him the land the camp is located on, and ran the camp for some time.

It's a pretty competitive process to be a volunteer there.

Guest dog14787
RIP Paul Newman. My personal favorite actor, and personality in Hollywood. What a career and what a man and what a guy. Sorely missed.

<_<

Over 20 years ago I watched Paul Newman and Alan Arkin bowl at the local lanes. Everyone left them alone. They ordered pitcher after pitcher while cracking each other up.

My favorite all-time actor and celebrity. There maybe a few better actors overall but few had as many classic characters who felt so real.

Reggie Dunlop: She underlines the !@#$ scenes for ya? Jesus, if she underlines the !@#$ scenes for ya, she must worship the ground you walk on.

Ned Braden: They teach you how to underline in college.

Reggie Dunlop: Not the !@#$ scenes, they don't. Braden, you gotta learn to put out more, you know what I mean?

Reggie Dunlop: I am personally placing a hundred-dollar bounty on the head of Tim McCracken. He's the head coach and chief punk on that Syracuse team.

Jim Carr: A bounty?

Reggie Dunlop: Yeah, a hundred bucks of my own money for the first of my guys who really nails that creep.

I met Mr. Newman for the first time when his Can-Am car was racing at Watkins Glen. I was nine, I think ... and I've had a crush on him ever since.

He apparently donated all of the profits of his newman's own food company to charity. CNN reported he's donated over $250 million to charity. Plus, he was in the greatest sports comedy of all time. RIP Reggie Dunlop!

Newman's Own has been one of our customers ever since he started the business. In fact, that's how we got the tickets for the Glen whenever he or the car he sponsored was racing there. It's funny -- we just ran a job for them earlier this week. Watching all those boxes roll by with his picture on the side, I started thinking about him, wondering how he was doing. (We knew he was gravely ill, of course.)

Sadly, that question has been answered.

Farewell to a great actor and an even better man.

I met Mr. Newman for the first time when his Can-Am car was racing at Watkins Glen. I was nine, I think ... and I've had a crush on him ever since.

Lori you gotta stop robbing the casket in the same way meazza robs the cradle <_<

j/k

RIP. He was born in Cleveland, attended Shaker Heights High and Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio. I attended Mount Vernon Nazarene which was near Kenyon, in the late 1980s. One guy I knew in college said Paul Newman was right behind him in a Mercedes in town one Sunday...this was while his youngest daughter was a student at Kenyon.

Someone here talked about his lemonade...yes, it is the best around.

He also liked his beer. Have a cold one in his memory. :sick:

You will be missed, Paul. :wallbash: