Why do some people feel Dick Jauron is not a good coach?

PromoTheRobot

Bingo.

Some of you chowderheads might change your tune when he goes to .500 as our head coach today.

He's won coach of the year, and was in consideration for coach of the year last year.

Does he make the occasional bad clock managment call? Yep, but so do some of the greatest coaches. As Marv said "Smart players get better", well so do smart coaches.

It's funny how a chunk of fans seem to think that the word 'good' is synonymous with the word 'perfect'.....or 'great'.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a very fair statement Dibs.

Still, Jauron's career was not looking good when he came here. He seems like a great guy, and I hope he can bring us a lot more wins. :lol:

His career certainly did not look bad when he got here.

1. Well regarded player (certainly not a requirement nor a guarantee of being a good HC but it does not hurt and was part of his career.

2. Longtime activity as a position coach for teams with a mixed bag of results- again no guarantee but does not hurt and is part of what built him as an HC.

3. HC for a team which saw him gain NFL Coach of the Year honors in his best year. A notable achievement which again does not guarantee success but pretty darn impressive and few people have that on their resume

4. Landed a DC position with his old team which was a bad team after his HC gig, and developed a D scheme which survived his time at the Lions. HC he worked for sucked and when the HC got canned he was turned to as the interim.

On second thought, while the results in the interim gig were no where as good as the results which brought him his best honor, it is even arguable that his career while no where near great or even very good certainly did not look bad and arguably was pretty good considering that he worked for two dysfunctional teams.

The big negatives for Jauron when he was hired were:

1. No real success had hiring adequate OCs

2. HC' ed for two dysfunctional teams,

It's funny how a chunk of fans seem to think that the word 'good' is synonymous with the word 'perfect'.....or 'great'.

I was going to post something similar last night, but decided to let the thread die. Since it didn't, I'm with you.

I think it is obvious that Jauron is a good coach (which is what the title of thread seems to be about). He still hasn't shown that he is a great coach. He has the chance, in Buffalo, to change that.

On second thought, while the results in the interim gig were no where as good as the results which brought him his best honor, it is even arguable that his career while no where near great or even very good certainly did not look bad and arguably was pretty good considering that he worked for two dysfunctional teams.

I think that you are splitting hairs PG. :lol:

Look, Jauron, unlike some truly prominent coaches, didn't come with a full, built in staff. He had a poor record, wasn't receiving other offers as I recall, and took our job, one of the toughest and lowest paying in the NFL. Would you have been truly surprised if he didn't get a head coaching job in 06? Seriously.

It might just work. Let's hope so, but we didn't hire a guy who appeared to be destined for a Joe Gibbs type career.

I think that you are splitting hairs PG. :rolleyes:

Look, Jauron, unlike some truly prominent coaches, didn't come with a full, built in staff. He had a poor record, wasn't receiving other offers as I recall, and took our job, one of the toughest and lowest paying in the NFL. Would you have been truly surprised if he didn't get a head coaching job in 06? Seriously.

It might just work. Let's hope so, but we didn't hire a guy who appeared to be destined for a Joe Gibbs type career.

Given the good ol boy network in the NFL and even Rich Kotite getting a second bit at demolishing a team nothing surprises me in NFL hiring. Even if wants to pretend this is in the past look how long it took for Matt Millen to get the can.