Why do some people feel Dick Jauron is not a good coach?

PromoTheRobot

guys i didnt mean to diss the bills-i am a huge bills fan, i just think aside from his trick plays and 'players environment' he seems out of touch and distant - the new england snf game really exposed his inability to assign proper defensive assignments & create mismatches - look at who he had on moss that whole game

Gee, who would you have put on the guy instead? Considering that we had 17 players who had started for us out on IR. There weren't a whole lot of options. PTR was right in the initial post. At the end of the day, all people look at, foolishly, is the record. None of the reasons why we got there are even discussed. Jauron has not had a wealth of talent in Buffalo until this season, and last year, when we had better talent, there was a situation at the QB position concerning injuries, and our defense was down four starters and their backups by the end of the season. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

As for clock management and adjustment, perhaps I have been watching a different team this year, but the adjustments and time management looked pretty good in those come from behind wins the last two weeks. How much better can our time management get than calling a TO with 3 seconds left and running out the clock for the win with a last second field goal? Sorry, but that doesn't seem like bad coaching to me. As for the bad challenges, the one we had last game should have gone in our favor. The rules clearly state the when an offensive and defensive player make a simultaneous catch, and the offensive player is subsequently down, the offense should have the ball, even if the defensive player subsequently obtains possession. Jauron was right to challenge that call and the refs did a poor job on replay.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the retarded anti-DJ posters in this thread have steeled my decision. I'm going to get a Bills jersey with Jauron on the back.

Please stop mocking other people for not being sold on the coach just yet. I think a wait-and-see approach with Jauron is pretty reasonable. I think he's been a good, steadying influence on a talent-starved team the last couple of years. But this year he needs to show he can take a more talented team to the next level. So far, early returns are promising, but we're only 3 games in. Mocking people who aren't yet convinced he's a great coach doesn't reflect well on you, and you've already done it twice in this thread. Disagree all you want, but you can't you do it without attacking people?

Please stop mocking other people for not being sold on the coach just yet. I think a wait-and-see approach with Jauron is pretty reasonable. I think he's been a good, steadying influence on a talent-starved team the last couple of years. But this year he needs to show he can take a more talented team to the next level. So far, early returns are promising, but we're only 3 games in. Mocking people who aren't yet convinced he's a great coach doesn't reflect well on you, and you've already done it twice in this thread. Disagree all you want, but you can't you do it without attacking people?

Mocking posters is a natural reaction whenever someone cannot articulate a point. I guess we're all supposed to jump on board whatever bandwagon is the popular one. In this instance, it's that Jauron is great because Buffalo is 3-0. I can't do that just yet.

What matters is winning. And so far, the Bills have done that. Perhaps not in convincing fashion these past two weeks, but I'll take it. Jauron's ability as a HC hasn't been really tested much this season. The difference this season versus the previous is players are making plays at crucial times. Jacksonville? Hardy's grab in the EZ. Oakland? Edwards throwing for 177 in the final stanza. DJ didn't have that all the time in past years, and it's clouding many fans' vision of what a HC does before, during, and after games. It's a long season, and for myself, it's still going to take a long time for DJ to help me completely forget the Dallas and Denver debacles last year, let alone being thrashed by 7 TD's at home on SNF. I need more than 3 weeks too.

i am really really concerned that he is the weak link. look at all the games he has cost the bills over the last year / two years. he always challenges the wrong plays, chooses the wrong defensive matchups - those are my main gripes. he is a poor game manager-he may be good up until sunday but fails to consistently make in-game adjustments, proper use of timeouts and challenges. i like the guy from boise st chris peterson

Proof?

Jesus trucking christ girls I don't believe this thread. This team is looking better than it had in 10 years and you dip$hits are already teeing up this poor sob so you can bring him down

You are a very wise man!!!

The only case I can understand someone making against Jauron is that he struggles to find good offensive coordinators. Prior to this year, he had failed to find one throughout his two runs as a head coach. But it seems this year he's a blind squirrel finding a nut in that regard, so my last real doubt about the guy has been removed. I'd only worry about this team's future under Jauron if Schonert falls on his face, or leaves the Bills.

I don't understand people trying to say Jauron can't take a team to the "next level." This is a guy who went 13-3 in Chicago on his way to a Coach of the Year award, and there aren't many higher levels than that.

This is likely the best overall squad Jauron has worked with, including the best quarterback and the best offensive coordinator he's had. I'm confident people are going to be happy with the results the next few years.

Maybe they'll be some eating of crow around here, but I'm not holding my breath...alot of people will order a large portion of crow, and then fill up on salad and breadsticks and not even touch their food. Still waiting for Mickey, Kelly the Dog and others to take their bow regarding how much this team would miss Peters. :lol:

Jauron, a former head coach in Chicago, has steadily (and quietly) built a team in Buffalo that currently leads the AFC East and looks to be the real deal. By establishing a solid foundation (he went 7-9 in each of the past two season) and slowly adding the proper personnel to a strong coaching staff, Buffalo's ascension doesn't appear to be a one-year flash.

Linkage

As of right now his record is 17-18 as Bills head coach.

I don't understand people trying to say Jauron can't take a team to the "next level." This is a guy who went 13-3 in Chicago on his way to a Coach of the Year award, and there aren't many higher levels than that.

13-3 is great, but when the rest of your coaching career is made up of 7-9, 7-9, 7-9, 6-10, 5-11, etc. you don't think some skepticism is justified? That Chicago team came out of nowhere, got knocked out in the first playoff game they played, and went right back to nowhere. Jauron has shown an ability (generally) to keep the wheels from coming off when teams aren't talented or are really hit by injury. That's not a negligible skill, and I'm sold on his ability to hold things together with a young team.

But before I'm ready to call him a great coach - and certainly before I'm ready to act like it's totally unreasonable to question his coaching credentials - some more consistent winning would be nice. Maybe even a playoff victory in there somewhere? I think this team has the talent to provide Jauron with the opportunity to prove himself, and I'm glad. I think he's earned that chance. But until he does it, I don't get why anyone would be surprised that people question whether he can.

13-3 is great, but when the rest of your coaching career is made up of 7-9, 7-9, 7-9, 6-10, 5-11, etc. you don't think some skepticism is justified? That Chicago team came out of nowhere, got knocked out in the first playoff game they played, and went right back to nowhere. Jauron has shown an ability (generally) to keep the wheels from coming off when teams aren't talented or are really hit by injury. That's not a negligible skill, and I'm sold on his ability to hold things together with a young team.

But before I'm ready to call him a great coach - and certainly before I'm ready to act like it's totally unreasonable to question his coaching credentials - some more consistent winning would be nice. Maybe even a playoff victory in there somewhere? I think this team has the talent to provide Jauron with the opportunity to prove himself, and I'm glad. I think he's earned that chance. But until he does it, I don't get why anyone would be surprised that people question whether he can.

The way I look at it, the one time in his career he really had good personnel, he went 13-3. The two seasons out of his career where I've been able to follow him closely, he performed better than most expectations, keeping teams with mediocre (at best) personnel in the AFC playoff picture into the last month of the season.

This is a coach who has by most accounts overperformed the last two seasons, and the one time in his career he had a legitimate chance to put up an outstanding record, he did just that! Add to that the way he has come out of the gate in 2008, which is only his second real chance to put up a noteworthy record, and I see no reason for pessimism.

You say you're hesitant to call him a "great" coach, and I'm in full agreement with you there. Obviously he needs to at least win a playoff game before anyone even thinks about calling him a genius.

But do you see any reason to think he isn't every bit as good as former world champions Brian Billick and Jon Gruden? 'Cause I sure don't.

Considering that we had 17 players who had started for us out on IR.

This is a complete fabrication. The Bills had 17 players on IR. Most were backups.

The way I look at it, the one time in his career he really had good personnel, he went 13-3.

Whatever works for ya.

Here's some facts though.

The talent in 2001 consisted of: Jim Miller, Marty Booker, Dez White, Anthony Thomas, Olin Kruetz, James Williams, Brian Urlacher, Rosevelt Colvin, Keith Traylor, Mike Brown, Daimon Shelton, RW McQuarters, David Terrell, Marcus Robinson, Leon Johnson, Paul Edinger, Brad Maynard, Shane Matthews, among others.

The talent in 2002 consisted of: Jim Miller, Marty Booker, Dez White, Anthony Thomas, Olin Kruetz, James Williams, Brian Urlacher, Rosevelt Colvin, Keith Traylor, Mike Brown, Daimon Shelton, RW McQuarters, David Terrell, Marcus Robinson, Leon Johnson, Paul Edinger, Brad Maynard, Shane Matthews, among others.

And the big difference between 2000 and 2001? Newly hired GM Jerry Angelo traded locker room cancer and starting QB project Cade McNown away for almost nothing.

Not after analyzing the situations that led to those records.

???

How is JP that different than RJ?

JP = RJ Light.

The significant difference to date for their careers was that RJ was injury prone (lost PT to a series of injuries to different parts of his body to sometimes seemingly hits which were not beyond the normal pounding that a QB gets). RJ was knocked out of games with a fairly broad range of injuries from a separated collarbone, to deep bruises, top the ubiquitous post concussion syndrome and what have you. He was knocked out of the game not once or twice but a variety of times for the Bills and stemming back to following a great performance in a game for Jax.

Has JP lost PT? Yep. However, the hits were a illegal hit by Wilfork and to a shove he was not prepared for when he got hit by Troy Vincent in practice. He recovered nicely and in good time from both injuries. He routinely throughout his career has actually been too aggressive at making contact as when he was mopping up for Bledsoe his first year he ran for a first down and rather than simply going OB he lowered his shoulder and knocked back the tackler for a couple of meaningless yars (the injury prone player has usually learned that he can be hurt easily and tends to avoid unnecessary contact from my watching the game.

He is not injury prone from what I have seen and am happy to see someone make a real case that he is besides simple new fact-free bluster.

Has Edwards lost PT? Yep. However, I think it is way to early to declare him injury prone yet as he also does not seem to shy away from taking hits (I am impressed with how resolute he is to stand in the pocket even when he knows he will get creamed he sticks in and gets the pass off). Further, though he was knocked out of the NYJ game last year and was forced to sit a few games to heal and then because JP was playing so well he could not get his job back. I still only feel he has had one pro injury. I do not count this year's pre-seson boo-boo for now that cost him practice time since it appears if it were the regular season he would have strapped it on and played. He also had a concerning record of injury in college, but this is a different game with even better trainers and docs and he has apparently put on 20 lbs of mostly muscle,

Injury is a concern for any pro athlete but it is not a worry yet to me based on the facts of Edwards course of action.

Neither JP nor Edwards is proven to be injury prone IMHO, RJ is based on his record and that is the first threshold difference between JP and RJ and for that matter TE though we need to see him do a full season before we get completely ga-ga about him.

This is a complete fabrication. The Bills had 17 players on IR. Most were backups.

Whatever works for ya.

Here's some facts though.

The talent in 2001 consisted of: Jim Miller, Marty Booker, Dez White, Anthony Thomas, Olin Kruetz, James Williams, Brian Urlacher, Rosevelt Colvin, Keith Traylor, Mike Brown, Daimon Shelton, RW McQuarters, David Terrell, Marcus Robinson, Leon Johnson, Paul Edinger, Brad Maynard, Shane Matthews, among others.

The talent in 2002 consisted of: Jim Miller, Marty Booker, Dez White, Anthony Thomas, Olin Kruetz, James Williams, Brian Urlacher, Rosevelt Colvin, Keith Traylor, Mike Brown, Daimon Shelton, RW McQuarters, David Terrell, Marcus Robinson, Leon Johnson, Paul Edinger, Brad Maynard, Shane Matthews, among others.

And the big difference between 2000 and 2001? Newly hired GM Jerry Angelo traded locker room cancer and starting QB project Cade McNown away for almost nothing.

You have a point. My assertion that 2001 was the only year Jauron should have produced a record that caught people's attention may have been incorrect.

But how about this one...maybe he never had any business achieving the outstanding record that he did. After all, among the 18 names you so liberally refer to as "talent," 4 of them are unspectacular recievers, 2 of them are QBs who had no business starting for an NFL team, 2 of them were very mediocre running backs, 1 is an unspectacular fullback, 1 is a kicker and 1 is a punter.

That leaves (in my estimation, anyway) 7 quality football players. Maybe Jauron did a better job that year than we thought.

But do you see any reason to think he isn't every bit as good as former world champions Brian Billick and Jon Gruden? 'Cause I sure don't.

I would say that he has not proven he is in their league at this point. Well, Gruden anyway. For a supposed offensive genius Billick never seemed to put together any sort of offensive team whatsoever, so I guess I'd rank him in the Barry Switzer category of Super Bowl-winning coaches. But Gruden has a track record of success that Jauron can not match at this point, and I don't think it's even close.

Now having said that, Jauron can change that perception and in fact he's on his way. I like the looks of the staff he's put together so far, and the discipline (few penalties) and solid play of the Bills to this point speak well of him. And I don't think there's any question that he was the right coach for this team after the shambles that Mularkey and Donahoe left it in.

But as to whether he deserves to be considered a good coach in this league, I'd call it an open question, and I think it will be for a while.

I would say that he has not proven he is in their league at this point. Well, Gruden anyway. For a supposed offensive genius Billick never seemed to put together any sort of offensive team whatsoever, so I guess I'd rank him in the Barry Switzer category of Super Bowl-winning coaches. But Gruden has a track record of success that Jauron can not match at this point, and I don't think it's even close.

Now having said that, Jauron can change that perception and in fact he's on his way. I like the looks of the staff he's put together so far, and the discipline (few penalties) and solid play of the Bills to this point speak well of him. And I don't think there's any question that he was the right coach for this team after the shambles that Mularkey and Donahoe left it in.

But as to whether he deserves to be considered a good coach in this league, I'd call it an open question, and I think it will be for a while.

My sense is that the truism regarding HCs that they receive too much credit when it works and too much blame when it fails is true.

From too many years of football watching it seems to me that about 80% of coaches will be a winner in the right situation and the same person will be a loser in a different situation. It really is about 1 in 5 coaches who can win just about anywhere or lose just about anywhere and actually the majority by far of these 20% are folks who I think of as the Marty Morningwhegs or Rich Kotites who can lose virtually anywhere.

You have HOF coaches like Marv Levy who was tremendous as HC of the Bills (and deserves his HOF status in my book) who simply stunk up the joint in KC. The Lombardi trophy itself is name after the guy who set the standard in GB but was not so good when he led the Skins.

Even the best HC in the game today (Bellicheat) got to this level by doing a not very good job in Cleveburg, running out on his word to take the big bucks from Kraft (a showing of moral failing that makes his current cheater ways part of a pattern) and really lucked out in NE when Bledsoe got a collapsed lung after an 0-2 start and paved the way for an SB that year that would likely not have happened without the Jets LB hitting Bledsoe.

Is Jauron a great coach? No way.

Is he a dog? No way. The 13-3 record was an achievement that cannot be overlooked in placing Jauron firmly in the 80%. And actually when one considers that he developed a good enough rep and rapport with the not very good teams he worked with (the troubled Bears whom he took to 13-3 one year before the discord with the FO drove him out, an iterim gig with the hapless Lions and even HCing a 5-11 Bills squad to a 7-9 record and now a 3-0 start with a schedule ahead of them where this team is likely to be favored in 11 of the 13 remaining games, Jauron is pretty clearly in the upper half of the 80%.

Why do people listen to WGR 55? It really numbs the mind unless you are on to what they do. On WGR, he is a caricature, a moron. When he is on nationally, he acts completely different, so don't blame Schopp, blame the morons that run WGR 55....or better yet, blame the people that will believe anything negative- and trust me, its the majority.

Can a coach go winless year after year and still be a great coach? Absolutely- exact same way that Archie Manning makes the hall of fame.

I'll tell you why Jauron is a very good coach- he is very organized, pays attention to details, and his players know whatto expect from him. You don't want to surprise your players when they are in pressure situations- they know what to expect, so they can react better to what their opponents do, instead of reacting to what he does.

I have been in the sports business for over a decade now, and I'll tell you something- unpredictable coaches don't win a lot, and usually not at a high level either

Another way to look at this is to imagine a head coach who would have posted a better record with the teams Jauron had to work with his first two years. You could argue that someone like, say, Tony Dungy might have come away with an extra win or two in those years, but I'm not at all convinced of that.

Anyway, here's hoping that the Bills put together several strong winning seasons in a row and put an end to threads like this once and for all. :lol:

Not after analyzing the situations that led to those records.

Bingo.

Some of you chowderheads might change your tune when he goes to .500 as our head coach today.

He's won coach of the year, and was in consideration for coach of the year last year.

Does he make the occasional bad clock managment call? Yep, but so do some of the greatest coaches. As Marv said "Smart players get better", well so do smart coaches.