Buffalo Bills vs. St. Louis Rams Game Day Preview

Lori

Bills - Rams

I'll toss in a bonus quote from Bryan Burwell of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Burwell and fellow columnist Bernie Miklasz, who I cite at the bottom of the preview, are in fine form this week ...

As I cast my envious eyes towards Motown where the early stages of a palace coup within the Detroit Lions organization is ongoing, I keep wondering:

When, oh, when will it happen here?

This is not piling on. This is pure public service. I have been covering sports for more than 30 years, and I can honestly say that I have never been around an operation like the Rams. It's well past time to tear this thing up and start all over again, but the ax still hasn't fallen. So I guess the best way to help move that objective along is by a constant and loud drumbeat for change.

The change I'm talking about isn't the superficial band aids that keep happening around here, as they try and patch up the gaping wound that has bled all the life out of this mortally wounded franchise.

Quarterbacks and cornerbacks, defensive ends and tackles. These are what we now euphemistically call More Lipstick, More Pigs (and that's only because we can't call it %*@!, and #@*!! in a family newspaper).

(more at link: Wrong Rams people are making changes)

Agreed...and especially after watching the USC game last night.

"...that's why they play the games!"

Before the game last Sunday, I was amused when people kept telling me how many touchdowns the Bills were going to win by. I'll use the same reply now: the Bills should win this game, if they don't keep the Rams in it with turnovers and mistakes ... but they proved last week that they aren't immune to those miscues.

Before the game last Sunday, I was amused when people kept telling me how many touchdowns the Bills were going to win by. I'll use the same reply now: the Bills should win this game, if they don't keep the Rams in it with turnovers and mistakes ... but they proved last week that they aren't immune to those miscues.

So true. What really struck me from your excellent preview, though, Lori, was that the Bills and Rams have only played nine times since 1970, even though the Rams were the first NFC team the Bills played in a regular season game. Granted, before 1978 the number and pattern of interconference games was a bit more random, and I should track down one of my packed-away media guides, but I wonder if there are any other non-expansion teams the Bills have played fewer times? Conversely, is there an NFC team the Bills have played significantly more often than any other?

Surprisingly, they've only played Cleveland 13 times since the merger. That's by far the fewest games against a non-expansion AFC foe. As for the NFC, it's actually pretty close to the average. The Bills have played no more than 11 games (Minnesota, Philly, Washington) against any NFC team, and not counting Carolina, no fewer than seven (New Orleans).

Surprisingly, they've only played Cleveland 13 times since the merger. That's by far the fewest games against a non-expansion AFC foe. As for the NFC, it's actually pretty close to the average. The Bills have played no more than 11 games (Minnesota, Philly, Washington) against any NFC team, and not counting Carolina, no fewer than seven (New Orleans).

Thanks Lori. I feel guilty making you do research that I could do myself, but appreciate the info. That is interesting about Cleveland. I guess outside of Baltimore/Indy (obviously), whom they played much more often, the Steelers would be far ahead of the Browns among pre-merger NFL teams that have played the Bills. It certainly feels as though the Bills and Steelers have played a bunch of times... Off the top of my head, I can remember 1970, 1972, 1975, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2007.. Though even that is only 20 times...

I obviously need to get back to work.

Isn't Tampa Bay ('76 expansion) the only NFL team that's yet to play in Orchard Park?

Isn't Tampa Bay ('76 expansion) the only NFL team that's yet to play in Orchard Park?

Yup. The cRavens made their first trip here last season, and all three recent expansion teams have also played at RWS.

As such, the Buccaneers are the only team I've never seen in person.

Reading Burwell's article, it's obvious that unlike the salary cap, the NFL cannot create parity among front offices.

Teams like the Rams, Cardinals, Lions, Chiefs, and Bengals have been led by inept management, and in some cases, facilitated by owners who don't care. How else can anyone explain the Rams and Lions being led by the same pitiful execs for so long?

I've had issues with the Bills front office, but their shortcomings pale in comparison to other franchises. There seems to be a plan in Buffalo, which is far more than teams like the Rams can offer.

Yup. The cRavens made their first trip here last season, and all three recent expansion teams have also played at RWS.

As such, the Buccaneers are the only team I've never seen in person.

i flew down for the bucs game a few years back when the reigns were given to losman. great stadium with a HUGE Buffalo fan base. if you get the chance to go to their stadium it would make a real nice weekend trip