Economic terrorism

bills_fan

This quote is from I site I respect and consult daily. Anyone hearing anything about this from other sites/work/etc. that you could post?

I have heard nothing.

Last Friday, the U.S government waved the white flag and surrendered the capital market process when it banned short sales in the financials.

It was a profoundly sad day for the free market system. I felt as if I lost a close friend of seventeen years that I was intimately involved with.

Over the weekend, I discovered there might have been more to that decision than initially met the eye. There was chatter on the beltway that we may have been the victim of economic terrorism, a coordinated short raid that originated in London and Dubai.

While the legitimacy of that remains to be seen, my source is well respected. Further, as the goals of terrorism are economic destruction and social upheaval, it makes intuitive sense. The stock market is the world’s largest thermometer and breaking the capital market construct—as some would say they did last week—would effectively achieve both goals.

Full Article

EDIT: Another site report on this...

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/200...r-attack-o.html

This quote is from I site I respect and consult daily. Anyone hearing anything about this from other sites/work/etc. that you could post?

I have heard nothing.

Full Article

Ok, answer the logical question, what do London & Dubai have to gain by bringing down the US financial system?

No clue, certainly not advocating this theory at all. Just asking if anyone else heard anything about this.

The only thing I heard is the conspiracy that Paulson dumped LEH to help out his GS buds.

The only thing I heard is the conspiracy that Paulson dumped LEH to help out his GS buds.

I admit this has all the making of the moon-landing-was-staged crackpots, but the original site I linked to, Minyanville, has been a trusted resource of mine for years. To put that out there, would destroy all future credibility.

That is the only reason I'm not dismissing this as a ghost story right now.

I have heard nothing.

Full Article

EDIT: Another site report on this...

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/200...r-attack-o.html

The ONLY reason I don't dismiss this out of hand is because the FBI is investigating the firms surrounding the market collapse, and it makes no sense to me why the FBI would be investigating.

Otherwise...I call bull sh--. How much capital would it take to short the financial industry into oblivion?

The ONLY reason I don't dismiss this out of hand is because the FBI is investigating the firms surrounding the market collapse, and it makes no sense to me why the FBI would be investigating.

Otherwise...I call bull sh--. How much capital would it take to short the financial industry into oblivion?

I had thought of that, but the capital would be there due to oil revenues. I also thought the FBI investigation to be odd.

I had thought of that, but the capital would be there due to oil revenues. I also thought the FBI investigation to be odd.

But HOW MUCH capital? The capital exists...but is there anyone with motive who has access to that much money? If you threw together Venezuela, Iran, al-Qaeda, Syria, Afghanistan, and Pakistan, I doubt they'd have the pooled capital to do it (you could add North Korea to the list...but the might be able to contribute, what, three cents?) It's possible that some private individuals, alone or together, could do it, like Soros' run on the pound 15 years ago, or the runs on the Pacific Rim currencies a decade ago...but I can't think of anyone who could capitalize such a venture that didn't have more to lose than they would to gain.

...but I can't think of anyone who could capitalize such a venture that didn't have more to lose than they would to gain.

If ideology were theoretically involved, that could be all but a moot point.

But ideology likely stops a few zeroes short of the capital y'all are talking about.

How much capital would it take to short the financial industry into oblivion?

Would you believe none?

The whole concept of shorting a stock is selling a stock you do not have, and hoping to be able to buy it back later at a cheaper price than you paid for it.

For example

Sell 100 shares of GE stock (which you DO NOT OWN), make $3,000

Stock goes down to $25

Buy 100 stares of GE stock for $2500 to cover those shares you sold, but did not own

Profit $500

Simplistic...but takes no money...

Would you believe none?

The whole concept of shorting a stock is selling a stock you do not have, and hoping to be able to buy it back later at a cheaper price than you paid for it.

For example

Stock goes down to $25

Buy 100 stares of GE stock for $2500 to cover those shares you sold, but did not own

Profit $500

I know, just the other day one of our prime brokers called us and asked us to short about 100 Million of Goldman Sachs. Obviously we asked for no capital or margin.

Very simplistic...

:rolleyes:

But HOW MUCH capital? The capital exists...but is there anyone with motive who has access to that much money? If you threw together Venezuela, Iran, al-Qaeda, Syria, Afghanistan, and Pakistan, I doubt they'd have the pooled capital to do it (you could add North Korea to the list...but the might be able to contribute, what, three cents?) It's possible that some private individuals, alone or together, could do it, like Soros' run on the pound 15 years ago, or the runs on the Pacific Rim currencies a decade ago...but I can't think of anyone who could capitalize such a venture that didn't have more to lose than they would to gain.

UAE sovereign funds definitely have that kind of capital, as do the Russians. Would give more credence to the conspiracy that it would come from Dubai after getting laundered through Cyprus. But it doesn't make sense for the FBI's involvement, as I understand they're looking at the firms' accounting statements, not the brokers' trading positions.

Would you believe none?

For example

Stock goes down to $25

Profit $500

Yeah, except that it takes money to do it. 0:) !@#$ing moron.

Really, learn something about it. Then get back to us.

UAE sovereign funds definitely have that kind of capital, as do the Russians. Would give more credence to the conspiracy that it would come from Dubai after getting laundered through Cyprus. But it doesn't make sense for the FBI's involvement, as I understand they're looking at the firms' accounting statements, not the brokers' trading positions.

Doesn't make sense at all. Hell, the FBI's involvement doesn't make any sense...they're looking at the accounting statements? The FBI? Yeah, I know they have forensic accounting experience in-house for white-collar crime...but they're branching out in to corporate accounting and independent auditing now? Seriously, doesn't the SEC usually have jurisdiction over this sort of stuff?