Schadenfreude

Orton's Arm

I recently came across the following from ESPN:

Q: It has caught my attention that a number of teams have starting QBs over the age of 35. I feel this truly illustrates the fact that experience can outweigh the speed, strength and athleticism of the younger player.

Stuart

A: Assuming Damon Huard starts for the Chiefs on Sunday, the number is seven. All of a sudden, it's starting to look like the late 1990s when the league had a lot of seasoned quarterbacks leading teams. That scares me. The foundation of any good team is building around a good, young quarterback. Too many talented, young quarterbacks are washing out and many aren't getting to the age of 30.

My observation is the spread-option offenses of colleges are evolving in ways that won't help the NFL over the next couple of years. It's going to take these college quarterbacks longer to make the adjustment to the NFL because they operate so much in shotgun. Experience is a great value, but I think the older quarterback trend is a symptom of an illness at the position.

An illness at the position, you say? Too few good young QBs in the league? Fortunately, this doesn't seem like something Buffalo will need to worry about for a very long time! :lol: Go Trent!

Too few good, young quarterbacks?

Palmer

Brees

Rivers

Cutler

Edwards

Rodgers

Roethlisberger

Romo

Eli

At what point are there enough good young QBs for this guy?

Which is about the same number as in the 'glory years' (pick your favorite decade for when that was)

So just how overused - and misused - is the term 'schadenfreude' since David Kelly & James Spader introduced it to the unlettered in season 2 of Boston Legal?

That's an awful lot of negative, unsupported assumptions for such a short post! Or maybe you weren't trying to direct any of that at me (?) and were hoping to make conversation? Strange way of going about it, if you ask me.

So just how overused - and misused - is the term 'schadenfreude' since David Kelly & James Spader introduced it to the unlettered in season 2 of Boston Legal?

To be perfectly correct, Lisa Simpson used it in an episode where she was explaining to Homer her feelings while playing the Saxaphone. I do believe it was used in context :lol:

Which is about the same number as in the 'glory years' (pick your favorite decade for when that was)

But there are more teams now than there had been back in those glory years (pick your favorite decade). If the number of good QBs stays the same, it stands to reason the overall talent level at that position is being diluted. Which would explain why there seem to be more older guys than usual who are still starters for their respective teams.

Besides that, the point he made is that colleges are just now adopting spread option offenses less suited for developing NFL quarterbacking talent. If he's right about that, this should slow the pace at which good young QBs enter the league. If the flow of good QBs slows over the next 2 - 3 years, and retains that slower pace, it could lead to a long-term reduction of the average quality of NFL quarterbacking.

That's an awful lot of negative, unsupported assumptions for such a short post! Or maybe you weren't trying to direct any of that at me (?) and were hoping to make conversation? Strange way of going about it, if you ask me.

The resurgence, and craven championing of the behavior patterns of a rodomontade the past few decades, is of more import than the any feelings of shadenfruede, even though the former tends to bring out the latter. :lol:

BTW, how are you doing, HA? Long time no post...I'm not being snide; I enjoy your comments.

The resurgence, and craven championing of the behavior patterns of a rodomontade the past few decades, is of more import than the any feelings of shadenfruede, even though the former tends to bring out the latter. B-)

I eschew rodomontade as indign to my sublimity! :lol:

BTW, how are you doing, HA? Long time no post...I'm not being snide; I enjoy your comments.

Thanks! :thumbsup: I've been busy with other things, but my happiness with how this season is going drew me back here. :D