VY....Slash Stewart...

Tcali

Why are amazingly talented football players like these not used properly in the NFL??

Of course you can't turn these guys into prototype QBs.--Why not use them as RB/receiver/backup QBs who can add a ton of variety to the offense and keep the D on its heels?

I remember SS and some of his amazing runs early in his career before they ruined him and tried to turn him into something he wasn't. Same thing happening now with VY. Its ridiculous.

VY has very good winning football instincts--which he showed at Texas. What a waste if they try to make him into something he isn't.

Why are amazingly talented football players like these not used properly in the NFL??

Of course you can't turn these guys into prototype QBs.--Why not use them as RB/receiver/backup QBs who can add a ton of variety to the offense and keep the D on its heels?

I remember SS and some of his amazing runs early in his career before they ruined him and tried to turn him into something he wasn't. Same thing happening now with VY. Its ridiculous.

VY has very good winning football instincts--which he showed at Texas. What a waste if they try to make him into something he isn't.

This is an important question. Two quick interrelated responses come to mind:

1. Teams try to make them into "normal" QBs at least part of the time because no NFL team can win consistently without a QB who, whatever his other skills, is also able to stand in the pocket and deliver an accurate pass. Mobility is great, but without that skill, a guy cannot be a consistently successful starter, because the better teams will keep such a QB in the pocket and dare him to beat them with accurate passing.

2. Related to that, no player paid what VY is paid can be used as a part-timer. After all, someone else would have to play "normal" QB, which would mean either you have two guys getting paid starting QB money or you have a bargain basement QB taking a large proportion of your snaps. That makes no financial or strategic sense. It is also an open question whether VY would be willing to accept such a role. We know that Kordell chafed under the assumption that he was just a novelty act. He wanted to take all the snaps at QB, and the Steelers decided they had to try it, with the results that we all saw--intermittent success and inability to beat top teams when it counted.

Because "amazingly talented football player" does not necessarily equal "amazing professional football player".

IIRC, Kordell voiced his opinion loudly about wanting to be the starting QB and he was given several opportunities. And even though he had a couple of good years as QB, he was always inconsistent and that cost him the job.

The problem today is that the NFL buys into (and/or helps create) all the ESPN hype over guys like VY or Vick, drafts them very high and pays them millions to be the franchise QB. Kinda hard now from a PR (and salary cap) standpoint to turn that guy into a 'slash' player. Back in the '80s and '90s, there were plenty of 'athletic' QBs like that (including Kordell -- and Rodney Peete, Tim Crouch, Major Harris, Tony Rice, etc.), but nobody drafted them #1 as a franchise QB because they recognized that college production and pro production at the QB position were vastly different animals. Instead, they took late round fliers on most of those guys and they ended up as back ups, playing other positions or playing in Canada.

If VY plays college ball 20 years earlier, he's a 3d round pick sitting on the bench instead of contemplating suicide. That doesn't mean that he can't still develop into a good NFL QB, but to think he was just going to step in and set the league on fire was just plain crazy talk.

I agree that he should have more plays designed to emphasize his mobility. He should have ten designed carries a game. They should run him out a flexible single wing type of formation with either an extra tackle or an extra H back and open up a world of playaction, QB draw, and quick hitting passing plays that freeze the defense with the possibility of a run.

The possibility for injury would increase significantly for VY, however.

I agree that he should have more plays designed to emphasize his mobility. He should have ten designed carries a game. They should run him out a flexible single wing type of formation with either an extra tackle or an extra H back and open up a world of playaction, QB draw, and quick hitting passing plays that freeze the defense with the possibility of a run.

The possibility for injury would increase significantly for VY, however.

Uh... have you ever seen a Titans game? :devil:

You haven't followed Randle-El's career have you? Both by Pittsburgh and Washington, he's been used in some trickery that has accounted for several positive plays. But this man knew he had to concentrate on one thing and one thing only to succeed; so he decided on WR after some coaxing, I believe. Smart move.

If Young doesn't want to become a pocket passer, then he should find another position to excel in. "Slash" type QB's don't go very far and none have made the SB. McNabb concentrated on learning the position and stopped scrambling as the first option when they won their NFC Championship.

This is an important question. Two quick interrelated responses come to mind:

1. Teams try to make them into "normal" QBs at least part of the time because no NFL team can win consistently without a QB who, whatever his other skills, is also able to stand in the pocket and deliver an accurate pass. Mobility is great, but without that skill, a guy cannot be a consistently successful starter, because the better teams will keep such a QB in the pocket and dare him to beat them with accurate passing.

2. Related to that, no player paid what VY is paid can be used as a part-timer. After all, someone else would have to play "normal" QB, which would mean either you have two guys getting paid starting QB money or you have a bargain basement QB taking a large proportion of your snaps. That makes no financial or strategic sense. It is also an open question whether VY would be willing to accept such a role. We know that Kordell chafed under the assumption that he was just a novelty act. He wanted to take all the snaps at QB, and the Steelers decided they had to try it, with the results that we all saw--intermittent success and inability to beat top teams when it counted.

I agree somewhat..but I'm taking about moving beyond that. Instead of having someone being a bust and out of the league ...at the very least let him be a part of an imaginative offense where he can catch passes run and occasionally line up at QB in an imaginative offense with some out of the box thinking and plays.

You haven't followed Randle-El's career have you? Both by Pittsburgh and Washington, he's been used in some trickery that has accounted for several positive plays. But this man knew he had to concentrate on one thing and one thing only to succeed; so he decided on WR after some coaxing, I believe. Smart move.

If Young doesn't want to become a pocket passer, then he should find another position to excel in. "Slash" type QB's don't go very far and none have made the SB. McNabb concentrated on learning the position and stopped scrambling as the first option when they won their NFC Championship.

I don't visualize VY as a QB.But he could create havoc in the league with his immense talent if he is used properly.

I always thought the Bills should take a late round flier or rookie FA on one of the spread option QB's. They can run slash type plays occasionally, plays like ronnie brown did last week or even use as fifth wide receivers or for trick plays, gunners, and return men. It makes that third QB a more useful position and more flexible for the rest of the roster.

I just thought it would always be a neat option to have. On the other hand, i will not criticize what the Bills do-they draft very well and continue on the path they've been going.