I heard Colin Cowherd today say that Trent Edwards

In Trent's own words, he "didn't show up for the first 3 quarters." Sure, the 4th quarter comeback was tremendous but it never comes to that with a top-10 guy.

It's still a work in progress. When he starts doing it for 4 quarters, then we'll have our top-10 guy.

Payton Manning showed up for the 4th quarter of the Minnesota game, but was non-existent the other 3. And I still believe he's a top 10 QB. I am not disputing your point, but it's a little unrealistic to think that a top 10 QB plays well in every qtr of every game. I don't think TE's is a top 10 guy yet and he will have his shaky moments this year. But I have seen enough improvement from week to week to believe he has the potential to be a top 10 QB!!!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He said it conversationally, not as though it was some kind of stretch or big statement. He was talking about how difficult it will be for the Pats* this season and how they got worse while other teams got better.

At this stage, the ratings clearly prove Edwards is in the top. Is there really any rational counter point to that?

peyton manning also was coming off of knee surgery and didn't practice at all during the preseason.

Yes, TE's was held out of the last couple pre-season games as well. I could use several other QB's as examples, but selected PM. Guess I should have selected some who was healthy during the pre-season to better illustrate my point, my bad...

In Trent's own words, he "didn't show up for the first 3 quarters." Sure, the 4th quarter comeback was tremendous but it never comes to that with a top-10 guy.

It's still a work in progress. When he starts doing it for 4 quarters, then we'll have our top-10 guy.

Umm, you might want to re-think that statement. That is EXACTLY what makes somebody an elite QB. The "perfect" games are few and far between -- the great ones find a way to make it happen when it counts. Think back to games you watched when teams "held [Marino, Elway, Montana, Favre] in check" for three quarters and then you watched them lead their team back in the 4th.

Of course, I'm not suggesting it's always a good thing to give the other team a 3-quarter head start, nor am I suggesting Edwards is in the class of those gentlemen mentioned above. I do believe, however, he is showing us something we haven't seen in Buffalo since the conclusion of Kelly's last season -- aside from a few notable Doug Flutie moments.

Yes, TE's was held out of the last couple pre-season games as well. I could use several other QB's as examples, but selected PM. Guess I should have selected some who was healthy during the pre-season to better illustrate my point, my bad...

we can both agree that we hope edwards continues bringing Ws and the Bills keep winning :devil:

He is a talk radio guy, so he has no credibility. Much like Simon Howard

No, you have it all wrong. If Cowherd says we are good, he knows everything and some Bills fans will hang on every word he says and say 'he is GREAT"...if the Bills are bad in his eyes, he is a good for nothing douche and how dare him not give MY team the attention I crave!!!

Umm, you might want to re-think that statement. That is EXACTLY what makes somebody an elite QB. The "perfect" games are few and far between -- the great ones find a way to make it happen when it counts. Think back to games you watched when teams "held [Marino, Elway, Montana, Favre] in check" for three quarters and then you watched them lead their team back in the 4th.

Of course, I'm not suggesting it's always a good thing to give the other team a 3-quarter head start, nor am I suggesting Edwards is in the class of those gentlemen mentioned above. I do believe, however, he is showing us something we haven't seen in Buffalo since the conclusion of Kelly's last season -- aside from a few notable Doug Flutie moments.

Yes, exactly the point I was making, but you stated it better. Nice post...

No, you have it all wrong. If Cowherd says we are good, he knows everything and some Bills fans will hang on every word he says and say 'he is GREAT"...if the Bills are bad in his eyes, he is a good for nothing douche and how dare him not give MY team the attention I crave!!!

I Knew All along Trent had what it took. While it was hard to break down on film, do to playing behind a turnstile offensive line. You could clearly see he had the mechanics and awareness to succeed as a quarterback in the pros. With solid protection, a good group of receivers and Marshawn Lynch Trent Edwards has quickly established himself under Coach Dick Jauron. As someone who evaluates these guys from college for a living it's good to be right every now and again. Meanwhile I'm back to breaking down film, and studying tendancies for the 09 draft. Join me on NFL Network College Football Now. See just who your team may be drafting next year.

Yes, exactly the point I was making, but you stated it better. Nice post...

It will be interesting to see who the BIlls backup is next yr and how some posters will spin it into a "he is better than" thread..I can see it now..He has the "stroise" part stamina part poise...

Yep, where is that thread about Hamdan now? Some of the posters(and you know who you are) should really man up & admit they were wrong about Edwards. I have only seen one to date & that was 1billsfan.

Huh, most serious posts have been about Hamdan being the future 2nd QB. I don't recall anyone saying for serious that they wanted to start Hamdan over JP/Trent, sure many said it jokingly to simply stir things up or to steer everone away from a JP/Trent debate. Hamdan as a QB has very much the same playstyle Trent has, be it that he migth have a stronger arm but is less accurate then Trent. Watch the pre-season downs Hamdan played and compare them to the TE you see today. Funny thing is TE even reminds me of Hamdan during press conferences.

Huh, most serious posts have been about Hamdan being the future 2nd QB. I don't recall anyone saying for serious that they wanted to start Hamdan over JP/Trent, sure many said it jokingly to simply stir things up or to steer everone away from a JP/Trent debate. Hamdan as a QB has very much the same playstyle Trent has, be it that he migth have a stronger arm but is less accurate then Trent. Watch the pre-season downs Hamdan played and compare them to the TE you see today. Funny thing is TE even reminds me of Hamdan during press conferences.

You are right to a point, but come on, the big "Hamdan bandwagon" posts were clearly intended as slap at Edwards supporters, implying that they were just running after something shiny and new by abandoning JP. I can even remember people writing that they were "beating the rush" by planning the next mindless QB switch.

At this stage, the ratings clearly prove Edwards is in the top. Is there really any rational counter point to that?

Yes, it's only been 3 games. If he makes it into the top 10 at the end of the season end starts next season like this as well I'd say the statement is legit. As for now, it's too early, but it's certainly looking very bright given the knowledge that he will grow only further.

You are right to a point, but come on, the big "Hamdan bandwagon" posts were clearly intended as slap at Edwards supporters, implying that they were just running after something shiny and new by abandoning JP. I can even remember people writing that they were "beating the rush" by planning the next mindless QB switch.

It most certainly was started as a sarcasm thing, I see that. But it certainly made me come out of the shadows of being a lurker into almost a daily poster here now (i'm not sure that's a good thing but heh at least TBD can claim to be an international community now... ow wait plenty of english and scots about heh). The topic was started as a "lol who the hell is this guy that we have as 3rd QB" as an offset to the JP/TE discussion, you'd have to ask Pepsi to be sure but I'd reckon it's close to that. Then this wierd Dutch guy showed up actually throwing in some knowledge and facts about Hamdan, he even claimed Hamdan could play. Then preseason came and Hamdan indeed showed he could play, more so then most third string QBs around the league.

Funny thing is that the joke delivered, most of the posters here know more about our 3rd QB now then they ever knew about any of the other 3rds the Bills ever had (The Tome of Lori clearly aside). I think it's great to know as much as you can about all 53 players then just about the stars or even starters everyone allready writes about. A Dutch saying goes "your team is as good as it's weakest link" (it sounds awefully familiar in english as well, not sure if it is a saying though).

In any way, what started as a joke sure made a lot of people look at Hamdan in practises and in pre-season to see what he could or couldnt do, something that would have happened a lot less if the thread never was started.

It most certainly was started as a sarcasm thing, I see that. But it certainly made me come out of the shadows of being a lurker into almost a daily poster here now (i'm not sure that's a good thing but heh at least TBD can claim to be an international community now... ow wait plenty of english and scots about heh). The topic was started as a "lol who the hell is this guy that we have as 3rd QB" as an offset to the JP/TE discussion, you'd have to ask Pepsi to be sure but I'd reckon it's close to that. Then this wierd Dutch guy showed up actually throwing in some knowledge and facts about Hamdan, he even claimed Hamdan could play. Then preseason came and Hamdan indeed showed he could play, more so then most third string QBs around the league.

Funny thing is that the joke delivered, most of the posters here know more about our 3rd QB now then they ever knew about any of the other 3rds the Bills ever had (The Tome of Lori clearly aside). I think it's great to know as much as you can about all 53 players then just about the stars or even starters everyone allready writes about. A Dutch saying goes "your team is as good as it's weakest link" (it sounds awefully familiar in english as well, not sure if it is a saying though).

In any way, what started as a joke sure made a lot of people look at Hamdan in practises and in pre-season to see what he could or couldnt do, something that would have happened a lot less if the thread never was started.

I would rather have another healthy backup linebacker on the roster.... :devil: He can have the "LOISE"Linebacker with poise..

Listen, I want to shout it from the mountains that Trent is a top 10 QB, and well on his way to being something more. I want to state with confidence that he will be better than Russel who was a #1. I refrain, because it really is too early. As much as I like the kid, he needs experience to take it to the very top level, The good news is that my gut tells me that he will.

As far as Hamden, please don't kid yourself into thinking that you have found a diamond in the rough. He has not yet proven that he is anything at all other than a 3rd string qb, and that is far from a given. He might not even be in the NFL next season, and this is a qb starved league. His name was thrown out there at us to make light of the possibility that Trent could ever be as good as JP. The screen names were nothing less than pot shots at the people who supported Trent. We can pretend otherwise, but I think that most honest posters know what was taking place.

Hey, most of it was all in fun, not a big deal at all. As for Hamden, you might want to see him attempt a pass in a real game before you throw roses at him, or anyone else for predicting things about him that never happened.

I'm glad I never changed my screen name. :nana:

Listen, I want to shout it from the mountains that Trent is a top 10 QB, and well on his way to being something more. I want to state with confidence that he will be better than Russel who was a #1. I refrain, because it really is too early. As much as I like the kid, he needs experience to take it to the very top level, The good news is that my gut tells me that he will.

As far as Hamden, please don't kid yourself into thinking that you have found a diamond in the rough. He has not yet proven that he is anything at all other than a 3rd string qb, and that is far from a given. He might not even be in the NFL next season, and this is a qb starved league. His name was thrown out there at us to make light of the possibility that Trent could ever be as good as JP. The screen names were nothing less than pot shots at the people who supported Trent. We can pretend otherwise, but I think that most honest posters know what was taking place.

Hey, most of it was all in fun, not a big deal at all. As for Hamden, you might want to see him attempt a pass in a real game before you throw roses at him, or anyone else for predicting things about him that never happened.

I'm glad I never changed my screen name. :nana:

Right on, Bill! :D