(OT) Whole-house surge supressor?

Fezmid

Anyone have a whole-home Surge Supressor? I'm finishing my basement and it turns out that I'm going to need to get a new breaker box as mine doesn't have any expansion available. :devil: I figured since I'll have to hire an eletrician for this anyway, adding the surge suppressor shouldn't add that much more to the total bill and could protect the stuff in my house.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth the money or is it a waste?

CW

Anyone have a whole-home Surge Supressor?  I'm finishing my basement and it turns out that I'm going to need to get a new breaker box as mine doesn't have any expansion available. :devil:  I figured since I'll have to hire an eletrician for this anyway, adding the surge suppressor shouldn't add that much more to the total bill and could protect the stuff in my house.

Anyone have any experience with this?  Is it worth the money or is it a waste?

CW

81866[/snapback]

Why stick with just surge suppression. Buy a UPS for your house. Battery backup, surge suppression, and power conditioning, etc.

It will cost more, but will give you more benefits.

Powerware

I use Powerware products on a regular basis for my control systems, and they work well.

Well, all i can say is that a surge protector for a computer runs around $150 for a middle of the road one..  For your whole house?  you're talking quite a chunk there.

81881[/snapback]

Where are you buying your surge protectors for $150?! You can buy a nice UPS for less than $100 nowadays.

Here's a popular whole-house supressor:

http://www.smarthome.com/4860.HTML

Why stick with just surge suppression. Buy a UPS for your house. Battery backup, surge suppression, and power conditioning, etc.

It will cost more, but will give you more benefits.

Powerware

I use Powerware products on a regular basis for my control systems, and they work well.

That's probably going to be overkill, as I'm sure the battery would have to be VERY expensive to power an entire house... And would probably need to be replaced with every power failure! :doh:

I checked the site but didn't see a lot of information, nor did I see prices...

CW

I have installed one in my house and my in-laws house also... It is a pretty simple process and relatively inexpensive... I picked up a whole whouse surge protector at Home Depot (~$89.00) It took me about 1/2 to install...

It attached to one of the knock ot holes in your breaker box... Just turn off the main breaker connect one of the leads (black)to an open even number break and the second (red) to an open odd number breaker... This will protrect your house for both hot lines coming into the house... Third wire to the neutral (white) and Finally wire(green) to your ground... The make I have also comes with a $25,000. Insurance to cover any damage if it fails..

There is a LED monitor that indicated it is working...

Once again... I fond it quick, easy and inexpensive

Well worth the investment...

I have installed one in my house and my in-laws house also...  It is a pretty simple process and relatively inexpensive...  I picked up a whole whouse surge protector at Home Depot (~$89.00) It took me about 1/2 to install... 

It attached to one of the knock ot holes in your breaker box... Just turn off the main breaker connect one of the leads (black)to an open even number break and the second (red) to an open odd number breaker...  This will protrect your house for both hot lines coming into the house... Third wire to the neutral (white) and Finally wire(green) to your ground...  The make I have also comes with a $25,000.  Insurance to cover any damage if it fails..

There is a LED monitor that indicated it is working... 

Once again... I fond it quick, easy and inexpensive

Well worth the investment...

82109[/snapback]

What brand/model did you get so I know what to look for?

How long have you had it? I've read that after awhile, the MOV gets damaged from protecting from the surges and you need to replace the whole thing (or just live without the surge protection...). Just wondering.

CW

What brand/model did you get so I know what to look for?

How long have you had it?  I've read that after awhile, the MOV gets damaged from protecting from the surges and you need to replace the whole thing (or just live without the surge protection...).  Just wondering.

CW

82117[/snapback]

It is true about the MOV's. When they turn brown they are probably not working any longer. I've heard that the ones that are in the power strips typically are gone after a year.

It is interesting that surge protection is recommended for new TV's. I'm guessing this is due to the fact that most devices these days have switching power supplies instead of linear ones.

It is true about the MOV's.  When they turn brown they are probably not working any longer.  I've heard that the ones that are in the power strips typically are gone after a year.

It is interesting that surge protection is recommended for new TV's.  I'm guessing this is due to the fact that most devices these days have switching power supplies instead of linear ones.

82142[/snapback]

It seems a lot of TVs have embedded operating systems on them as well. For example, Sony's XBR960 (34" widescreen TV, top of the line as far as tube TVs go) has Linux running on it. Not sure what the OS does, but it's there. Strange...

CW

Fezmid,

My Co., Cincinnati Gas ,andElectric (Cinergy) stuck a flyer in my bill a few months ago for a behind-the-meter job. I belive such have 3 grould lines, as opposed to one for the panel installation. I don't recall the price - sorry.

82265[/snapback]

I asked my electric company about that a few months ago - they said that they used to provide that service but don't anymore :doh:

CW