World Series 2-3-2 format

lawnboy1977

I think they like having games 1, 2, 6, and 7 all on Saturdays and Sundays.

I don't know if they want to drag the Series out an extra couple days with the unavoidable 'days off' you'd need between games with the 2-2-1-1-1 format.

I think the reason is tradition. Rule changes occur slowly in baseball making it somewhat easier to compare stats from one season to the next.

There are several articles on this topic to be found on the SABR (Society for American Baseball Research) site. Here's a summary of one. It shows some statistical evidence analyzing whether 2-3-2 offers homefield advantage or not:

http://www.sabr.org/sabr.cfm?a=cms,c,420,40,0

I found this info interesting about the old World Series....check out these formats

Regarding the first part of your question: In 1906 when the Chicago White Sox and Cubs met, the games alternated from one park to the other.

In 1921 and 1922 when the New York Giants and Yankees opposed each other, all the games were played in the Polo Grounds, with the teams alternating as home teams.

In 1923, the games between the Giants and Yankees were played in Yankee Stadium and the Polo Grounds, with the teams again alternating as home teams.

In 1936 and 1937, with the G4ants and Yankees once more opposing each other, the 2-3-2 format was followed In 1936, the Giants were the home team in the first two games. In 1937, the Yankees opened the first two games as the home team.

The 2-3-2 home-and-away format was again used in 1941 (Yankees vs. Brooklyn Dodgers), 1944 (St. Louis Cardinals vs. Browns although all games were played at Sportsman's Park where the Cards and Browns alternated as the home team), 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955 and 1956 (Yankees vs. Dodgers), 1951 (Yankees vs. Giants), and 2000 (Yankees vs. Mets).

The first World Series of 1903 between the Boston Pilgrims and Pittsburgh Pirates went eight games, with a 3-4-1 format, the Pirates being the home team in the middle four games.

In 1912, the eight games had the Giants as the home team in the opener, the Red Sox the home team in Games 2 and 3, New York at home in Game 4, Boston in Game 5, New York in Game 6, Boston in Games 7 and 8.

In 1919, the World Series tainted by the White Sox gambling scandal, the first two games were played in Cincinnati, the next three in Chicago, then two in Cincinnati, and the final game in Chicago. That Series featured a best-of-nine format.

The World Series was returned to a best-of-seven format in 1922.

An interesting format was followed in 1920 when the first three games were played in Brooklyn and the final four games in Cleveland.

I found this info interesting about the old World Series....check out these formats

Regarding the first part of your question: In 1906 when the Chicago White Sox and Cubs met, the games alternated from one park to the other.

In 1921 and 1922 when the New York Giants and Yankees opposed each other, all the games were played in the Polo Grounds, with the teams alternating as home teams.

In 1923, the games between the Giants and Yankees were played in Yankee Stadium and the Polo Grounds, with the teams again alternating as home teams.

In 1936 and 1937, with the G4ants and Yankees once more opposing each other, the 2-3-2 format was followed In 1936, the Giants were the home team in the first two games. In 1937, the Yankees opened the first two games as the home team.

The 2-3-2 home-and-away format was again used in 1941 (Yankees vs. Brooklyn Dodgers), 1944 (St. Louis Cardinals vs. Browns although all games were played at Sportsman's Park where the Cards and Browns alternated as the home team), 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955 and 1956 (Yankees vs. Dodgers), 1951 (Yankees vs. Giants), and 2000 (Yankees vs. Mets).

The first World Series of 1903 between the Boston Pilgrims and Pittsburgh Pirates went eight games, with a 3-4-1 format, the Pirates being the home team in the middle four games.

In 1912, the eight games had the Giants as the home team in the opener, the Red Sox the home team in Games 2 and 3, New York at home in Game 4, Boston in Game 5, New York in Game 6, Boston in Games 7 and 8.

In 1919, the World Series tainted by the White Sox gambling scandal, the first two games were played in Cincinnati, the next three in Chicago, then two in Cincinnati, and the final game in Chicago. That Series featured a best-of-nine format.

An interesting format was followed in 1920 when the first three games were played in Brooklyn and the final four games in Cleveland.

81712[/snapback]

-great information Clements22 thank you

81712[/snapback]

I was going to reply its that way from the old days, to reduce travel. Then I got to your post. I'm impressed. Nice job. I would have gave you a thumbs up symbol but I guess one does not exist.

Even if they had determined it the old way, it would STILL be the AL's turn to have it.  (Anaheim had it in 2002 so last year, Florida would have had it if not for the rules change)

81765[/snapback]

It was a bad rule when it alternated too. There is no way a team that doesn't win their division should ever have home field advantage in the playoffs.

Which is so important that they use the All Star game to determine it.  :devil:

81734[/snapback]

A bit of irony that the Sox got HFA thanks to the Rocket getting shelled in the All Star game. I still like to think the story about Piazza tipping off the hitters is true. :)

Thats why its called "Home Field Advantage"

81710[/snapback]

And if the team actually earned that advantage I wouldn't have a problem with it. The team w/ the best record in baseball should have home field advantage, not the team whose league won an all star game...

I'm not sure which rule is worse, the DH rule or the all star game winner's league has home field in the WS.